the butt out tool yah or nah ?

So as a first year hunter i have been watching MANY vids on field dressing. A few guys used a Butt out tool it looks very simple , clean and make sense. I have done the old school cut out with a knife but it seems like there is roof for a large margin for error there, and i know people have been doing this long before the butt out tool, but i thought about picking one up to maybe make things a little easier on me ... any one have an opinion ?

Garbage. I couldn't get one to work for the life of me a few years back. Nice luxury if it was failproof, but I've stopped carrying it. Refused to "bite" onto the skin like it was supposed to. +1 on the ziptie or shoestring around the ass though. It'll do the job. Less crap you have to carry.

i ws planning on using a zip tie , and i figured many would think of it as a gimmic .. as i kind of do too , but iv seen some guys on youtube use it and it seems so easy where as knifing it seems just a bit more sketchy by an untrained hand

Anyone come across any decent videos of field dressing a deer? With and without the butt puller?
Videos help but there is nothing like the experience, go with an experienced hunter or know of one you can call and will come out to you but do not let them do it for you.

Videos help but there is nothing like the experience, go with an experienced hunter or know of one you can call and will come out to you but do not let them do it for you.

Already did it once, but was so high on the experience I forgot some of it. I figure a nice gory video of a field dressing would jog my brain cells.

I've never understood the need for those things or tying or zipties?? I cut from the anus all the way up, cut around it with the knife, bone saw the pelvis, and it's done, everything is out. I also cut the sternum to open the ribcage, easy to have everything fall out and helps it to cool faster. Takes about 3 seconds with a knife to go through the cartilage.

I've never understood the need for those things or tying or zipties?? I cut from the anus all the way up, cut around it with the knife, bone saw the pelvis, and it's done, everything is out.

So, your argument is...I ought to carry a bone saw vs. a ziptie or piece of twine? I've got enough gadgets, tools, knives, and crap with me, nevermind a bone saw.

Always wondered what you did with the scat covered butt out tool afterward ; )

I struggle with the cut, don't bother to tie it because I do it last and drag it that way. Have been thinking of trying to split the pelvis with a heavy knife.

Concentrating on getting the deer first!

iv seen both schools of thought on the going thru the rib cage brisket area .. and aside from the cutting thru is it DOES appear to be easier that jamming both arms up inside with a knife to cut the esophagus but fel like id avoid cutting thru the pelvis on does cause it just looks like more mess ... but im absorbing all this info , thanks alot

I have never split a pelvis, there really is no need and if I really wanted too I could tie the anus in a knot and not use twine or a zip tie at all.

@boghog , an old timer tied one up for me in northern ca when i was living out there that was my first experience. But i think i might go thru the brisket cause its just cartilage

I tried the butt-out tool last weekend. It worked fine for me.
I've never done anything else though so wasn't sure what my other options were.

I have a little saw. I'll see if I can find it on the Internet. I go straight down to the pelvis, then use my saw to cut the pelvis. Biggest mistake people make is they nick the bladder. That's sure to spoil some hind quarter meat, which is your best meat.

Here is the saw

The saw is great because the end of it is blunt, and it doesn't puncture the bladder. After I saw through the pelvis I then take my knife and completely cut out the entire rectum like coring an apple. When you do this in the field its easier then waiting until you get back to your house. If you don’t cut your own deer then I would never bring a deer to a butcher without the bladder and rectum removed. It will just sit in there until they cut it.

Personally I cut through the pelvis and remove everything. Transport the deer to my house where I then hose it and immediately ice the entire cavity. I make sure to stuff bags of Ice between the hams to cool them off. I then check it and butcher it the same day.

Last edited:
I've gut a couple of deer. The last one i did the only tool i had was a folding buck knife and if i remember correctly i was able to get through the pelvis and ribcage with it.

I have never split a pelvis, there really is no need and if I really wanted too I could tie the anus in a knot and not use twine or a zip tie at all.

I see no need to split the pelvis or the ribcage. You really don't want to split the rib cage if you are planning on mounting the animal anyway.

Bob

I've only shot one deer. field dressed it myself after watching a couple videos on-line, as well as the one they showed in the hunter ed. class. Never saw or participated in a field dressing session before doing it myself. I used the butt out tool, and it worked for me. Don't forget to twist it around a couple times so it grabs on, before you pull it out. As for what to do with it after? I swished it through a puddle to rinse it, and then cleaned it with a high-pressure hose.

Here was a good video from Kentucky wildlife:

http://www.kyhuntnfish.com/forums/v...-afield-deer-field-dressing-instructions.html

I use this knife set and it works great, has everything you need and is small and compact, goes right in my backpack.
http://www.outdooredge.com/Kodi-Pak-Hunting-Knife-and-Saw-Combo-p/kodi-pak.htm
I do all the dressing in the field, I have no desire to do more when I get home. I get everything out at once. If I ever shoot anything worth mounting, I'd probably not cut up the sternum to open the ribcage, but I've only shot meat for the freezer so far. There's many ways to do it, and everyone has their own method, whatever works is best.

I see no need to split the pelvis or the ribcage. You really don't want to split the rib cage if you are planning on mounting the animal anyway.

Bob

What does splitting the rib cage have to do with mounting it? Also if you don't split the pelvis how do you remove the bladder?

Back
Top Bottom