The ACTUAL Tax Stamp

Reptile

NES Member
I presume you get this in the mail?
Who is the one who writes things on it and what do they write?
I presume you keep the original in a secure place.
I know people keep a copy of their stamp and form rolled up in the butt stock storage compartment.

Serial number of my suppressor is written on mine. Literally a green stamp. I don't carry a copy. No need to. I'm breaking no laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I guess for a SBR, the ATF has on file the serial number of the lower so you do not necessarily need to keep the stamp with it.
Doing so might get you out of a jam though if scrutinized by law enforcement.

My guess is some local guy won't even know that there are tax stamps.

I know people keep a copy of their stamp and form rolled up in the butt stock storage compartment.

If you mail in an application, then yes it will arrive by mail. If you e-file, it comes via email. I have only e-filed, and in the PDF it's just embedded in the background. I believe the paper versions have a physical stamp with a number written on it.

Whenever I take my NFA stuff somewhere, I take copies of the stamps with me. Legally I don't have to show them to anybody but the ATF or IRS (and maybe the Treasury dept.?) but as others have said it might make Johnny Doesn't-Know-Jack-'Bout-NFA Officer leave me alone. Also if I travel out of state with them, I take copies of my approved 5320.20's.

I haven't received mine yet. I filed an eform 1 and was told that once it is approved, I'll receive an email with a PDF of the approved form and stamp.

I was told by my attorney that the tax stamp should be considered a part of the SBR and should go with it everywhere the SBR goes. He suggested printing copies and leaving one in the safe, one in the case you transport the SBR in and a copy wherever you may take it (office, etc.).

I haven't received mine yet. I filed an eform 1 and was told that once it is approved, I'll receive an email with a PDF of the approved form and stamp.

I was told by my attorney that the tax stamp should be considered a part of the SBR and should go with it everywhere the SBR goes. He suggested printing copies and leaving one in the safe, one in the case you transport the SBR in and a copy wherever you may take it (office, etc.).

Definitely should also put an encrypted zip of the pdf into dropbox or google drive too. Important files are important. :)

Serial number of my suppressor is written on mine. Literally a green stamp. I don't carry a copy. No need to. I'm breaking no laws.

Actually you do. You have to at least carry a copy with you. You are required to show it if asked by an atf agent. Don't know about the IRS.

The "stamp" is affixed to the form in which you filed; Form1, form 4, etc.
The examiner that is assigned to your file writes the serial # of the NFA item which you registered once it is approved.
The original should be secured safely.
A copy of the original (front and back) *should* accompany the NFA item along with a 5320.20 if traveling out of the state that NFA item is registered.

Don't carry originals!

My guess is some local guy won't even know that there are tax stamps.
And rightly so. It would be pointless for local law enforcement to ask you to show them your tax stamp, as BATFE cannot confirm that a particularly serial number is registered to a particular person or entity (see 26 U.S.C. sec. 6103); showing a photocopy to a local cop would be meaningless.

That said, some cops in some jurisdictions have no experience with "civilian" ownership of NFA items, and will insist on seeing proof you are not a criminal. Why antagonize them?

Actually you do. You have to at least carry a copy with you. You are required to show it if asked by an atf agent. Don't know about the IRS
BATFE's NFA FAQ says "The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner’s name. This document must be kept available for inspection by ATF officers. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported." (emphasis mine)

Page 74CHAPTER 12. RECORDKEEPING said:
Section 12.1 Maintaining proof of registration . The NFA requires that a person possessing a firearm
registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR) retain proof of registration which must be made available to the Attorney General, specifically an ATF agent or investigator, upon request (26 U.S.C. 5841(e)). Proof of registration would be on a Form 1 registering a firearm to itsmaker, Form 2 registering a firearm to an importer or manufacturer, or a Form 3, 4, or 5 showing registration of a firearm to a transferee.

12.1.1 Manner in which registration documents must be kept. NFA regulations require FFLs/SOTs maintain their registration documents in chronological order at their place of business.

So there is no legal requirement that you carry paperwork, and a SOT is specifically legally required to keep their originals at their registered place of business.

How do they "cancel" the stamp if emailed.
If you get it in the mail it has writing on it.
What does it look like when received by email?
Example: a usps stamp gets an ink stamp put on it at the post office or printed on it by a machine if it leaves the local post office at a mail facility.
That is what I mean by "canceled".

If you mail in an application, then yes it will arrive by mail. If you e-file, it comes via email. I have only e-filed, and in the PDF it's just embedded in the background. I believe the paper versions have a physical stamp with a number written on it.

I mailed mine. Sucks about the wait, but I'm glad I get an actual stamp - that just seems pretty rad to me.

How do they "cancel" the stamp if emailed. If you get it in the mail it has writing on it. What does it look like when received by email?
AEBA70D1-2A3E-435D-B999-02361C09DACB_zps0gsnxhlk.jpg

Looks like a watermark (no, this isn't one of mine)

Because I'm always running into atf agents.
I've never been pulled over for speeding, but I always carry my license. The one time you dont is when your asked for it. You really want to be the one that gets asked at the range and not have it? Do you have a carry permit in ct? Here in NH all I have to do is have a record of my permit at my local pd. I still always carry my permit with me. I'm not looking to be a test case on anything. You just spent $200 on the stamp and $1000 on the can. I keep a copy in my range bag.

Last edited:
FYI- When I was approved for my e-filed Form 1 , they never sent me an email, I logged in, saw it was approved and downloaded the approved form in PDF , printed it and made copies, etc.

FYI- When I was approved for my e-filed Form 1 , they never sent me an email, I logged in, saw it was approved and downloaded the approved form in PDF , printed it and made copies, etc.

Had you filed early on when eForms just became available? I've gotten an email for each of mine.

it's a silly thing to worry about.

ONLY an ATF agent can request to see it. and you can go sure, i can produce it... you don't need to carry it in your wallet like a serialized condom for when the ATF comes by and they are DTF.

eforms you get the stamp embedded in the document, paper forms have a physical stamp with your serial number written on it.

Had you filed early on when eForms just became available? I've gotten an email for each of mine.
No, e-filed 10/5
Approved 11/10

Only saw it was approved because of incessantly checking the site multiple times a day. No notification.

No, e-filed 10/5
Approved 11/10

Only saw it was approved because of incessantly checking the site multiple times a day. No notification.

Huh, and it didn't slip into spam? Well, whoever made the eForms site probably couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag, so who knows [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom