The "12 year olds carrying" thread

KBCraig

NES Member
After the committee hearing on NH SB116, which removes the requirement for a pistol and revolver license, a lot was said about the Tuftonboro police chief's testimony. His claim that "12-, 13-, 15-year olds" could legally carry if this bill passes was met with a lot of derision and claims that the chief doesn't know the law.

It's correct to point out that SB116 wouldn't make it legal for those kids to carry without a license. But we have to point out that it's not illegal for them to carry right now, as long as they do so the same as any other unlicensed person (i.e., openly).

Okay, after you duct-tape your head back together, let's look at the law.

First, RSA 159 in its entirety, which has no age restrictions on possessing or carrying. That part is simple: if they can legally possess it, there is no current restriction on carrying it, and SB116 would not change that (except allowing to carry concealed or loaded in a vehicle).

But what about restrictions on selling to minors? (A fellow SB116 advocate actually argued with me that no one would be able to carry under the new law unless they could legally buy a handgun. I pointed out that those under 21 can't buy from a dealer, but they can still legally buy privately.) Both RSA 159:12 and RSA 644:14 restrict selling or giving a handgun to a "minor" (159:12) or "Persons Under 16" (644:15), but allow sales, gifts, or inheritances, if the seller/giver is a parent, grandparent, guardian, or executor. Also note that this is a restriction on the seller or giver, and does not create any crime on the part of the minor (unlike alcohol, where possession is a crime or violation).

Federal law, 18 USC 922(x), prohibits anyone under 18 from possessing a handgun or handgun ammunition, but there's an exemption for those with written permission from a parent or legal guardian. But guess what else? The Federal Juvenile Delinquency Act also bars the federal government from criminally prosecuting anyone under 18. If someone under 18 violates federal law, it requires federal prosecutors to first try to move it to an appropriate state court, but there is no state charge in NH that would apply. And the state's delinquency law, RSA 169-B requires that the juvenile commit a state felony or misdemeanor to be judged delinquent.

Yes, federal prosecutors could still pursue a civil status declaration (which is not a criminal conviction) against someone under 18 who possesses a handgun legally under state law, and who is not engaged in any criminal activity, but good luck with that.

And if we want to bring federal law into it, remember that everyone who possesses a loaded handgun within 1,000 feet of a NH school commits a federal felony, license or not -- even that Tuftonboro police chief, unless he's performing his official duties at the time.

Discuss. [grin]

I say they should be able to. Federal law keeps trying to ban things "for the children" that should be totally legal.

I agree with the Supreme Court of Georgia:

Nor is the right involved in this discussion less comprehensive or valuable: "The right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers, trampled under foot by Charles I. and his two wicked sons and successors, reestablished by the revolution of 1688, conveyed to this land of liberty by the colonists, and finally incorporated conspicuously in our own Magna Charta!

I don't recall seeing an age limit in the Bill of Rights.
I have a family member who is a 13 year old boy and has been carrying a pistol on the farm on a daily basis since he was 11. I have zero issues with that. He's safe and good with his pistol (s). IMO, anyone reading the constitution will realize that he should be able to walk into any store and buy any pistol that catches his interest with no paper work, load it and stick it in a holster and go about his business.

I have a family member who is a 13 year old boy and has been carrying a pistol on the farm on a daily basis since he was 11. I have zero issues with that. He's safe and good with his pistol (s). IMO, anyone reading the constitution will realize that he should be able to walk into any store and buy any pistol that catches his interest with no paper work, load it and stick it in a holster and go about his business.

Until the 1968 GCA, it was exactly this way in a bunch of states. (Only if open carried)

Government cannot regulate personal responsibility. Blanket bans based on anything, including age, will not do anything to promote safety, which can be the only almost valid reason in the first place. The moron chief was grasping at straws.

Sure, if he has the responsibility of carrying a firearm. You can do a lot of harm with the twist of a finger. I have seen many 11 year olds who have the perfect attitude and responsibility. But then again, the age and associated attitudes work against them. A 12 year old kid will be able to think much less about the consequences of pulling a trigger than an adult will.

(Which by the way goes also for the gang-bangers in the inner city population)

So, although I may be perfectly fine with my 12 year old nephew to carry a firearm, I would be hesitant to generalize it.

Face it, if I have an argument with a person I know has a firearm, I'd rather do it with a 30 year old than a 12 year old. Because I know, the 30 year old will think much more about the potential consequences that a 12 year old one.

Not to sat that there are not 30 year old morons out there.

And if we want to bring federal law into it, remember that everyone who possesses a loaded handgun within 1,000 feet of a NH school commits a federal felony, license or not -- even that Tuftonboro police chief, unless he's performing his official duties at the time.

GFZA exempts P&R holders (resident). Non-resident licenses are invalid.

Yes, the TPD chief was full of crap. Which is a good sign. They know that the bill has a good chance at becoming law. Which is why the fear-mongers are fear-mongering, "12 year-olds concealing... firing squads, etc."

Sure, if he has the responsibility of carrying a firearm. You can do a lot of harm with the twist of a finger. I have seen many 11 year olds who have the perfect attitude and responsibility. But then again, the age and associated attitudes work against them. A 12 year old kid will be able to think much less about the consequences of pulling a trigger than an adult will.

Growing up in China, my parents had no problem gave me a little wine as a kid. I think I got slightly drunk first time when I was 3.

I think America is awesome though: I now get to worry all day about people having too much freedom than they can handle.

Growing up in China, my parents had no problem gave me a little wine as a kid. I think I got slightly drunk first time when I was 3.

I think America is awesome though: I now get to worry all day about people having too much freedom than they can handle.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.

Thomas Jefferson

The actual text of 18 USC 922(q), clipped down to the portion relevant to having a state license:

18 USC 922(q)

(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Emphasis on the bold print. NH RSA 159 doesn't require any "verification" that anyone is qualified under law to receive the license.

Am I worried? Nope. Nor is anyone else, because it's a meaningless law, only tacked on as plea-bait. It was declared unconstitutional once before, and brought back slightly modified, but to the best of my knowledge no one has been convicted who wasn't up to some serious real crime, which just happened to fall within the GFSZ boundaries.

I've never heard anyone claim that non-resident licenses were invalid for GFSZ purposes, actually the contrary for NH P/R license. Licenses valid through reciprocity don't qualify, but that's different.

The actual text of 18 USC 922(q), clipped down to the portion relevant to having a state license:

Emphasis on the bold print. NH RSA 159 doesn't require any "verification" that anyone is qualified under law to receive the license.

Am I worried? Nope. Nor is anyone else, because it's a meaningless law, only tacked on as plea-bait. It was declared unconstitutional once before, and brought back slightly modified, but to the best of my knowledge no one has been convicted who wasn't up to some serious real crime, which just happened to fall within the GFSZ boundaries.

The NH P/R licensing law does require that the issuing authority determine that the applicant appears to have any proper purpose and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Just because the list of qualifications isn't long, doesn't mean they don't verify them (e.g., that you filled in the reasons field on the application form).

The "law enforcement authorities" is the more problematic requirement, which is satisfied by 159:6 for non-residents or residents of unincorporated places; and can be satisfied for resident if a town/city requires the police to do the issuing (would need to be a town/city ordinance by a strict reading of 18 USC 922(q)).

I've never heard anyone claim that non-resident licenses were invalid for GFSZ purposes, actually the contrary for NH P/R license. Licenses valid through reciprocity don't qualify, but that's different.

I can't remember if it's 922 but I thought the reading of the text basically said it was resident licenses or something to that effect.
The NH P/R licensing law does require that the issuing authority determine that the applicant appears to have any proper purpose and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Just because the list of qualifications isn't long, doesn't mean they don't verify them (e.g., that you filled in the reasons field on the application form).

The "law enforcement authorities" is the more problematic requirement, which is satisfied by 159:6 for non-residents or residents of unincorporated places; and can be satisfied for resident if a town/city requires the police to do the issuing (would need to be a town/city ordinance by a strict reading of 18 USC 922(q)).

Right. There are basically two different types of resident P&Rs based on the issuing authority.

No, that isn't what it says.

" if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State".

Has nothing to do with residency.

"and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

The part in bold is the issue. Well, I mean other than the fact the feds have no authority in this matter in the first place, but that is really a moot point, sadly.

Last edited:
After the committee hearing on NH SB116, which removes the requirement for a pistol and revolver license, a lot was said about the Tuftonboro police chief's testimony. His claim that "12-, 13-, 15-year olds" could legally carry if this bill passes was met with a lot of derision and claims that the chief doesn't know the law.

It's correct to point out that SB116 wouldn't make it legal for those kids to carry without a license. But we have to point out that it's not illegal for them to carry right now, as long as they do so the same as any other unlicensed person (i.e., openly).

So you're saying the Chief was right, and that after SB116, "kids" would legally be able to carry concealed?

No, that isn't what it says.

" if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State".

Has nothing to do with residency.

"and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

The part in bold is the issue. Well, I mean other than the fact the feds have no authority in this matter in the first place, but that is really a moot point, sadly.

Yup that looks right. I guess I inserted something about residency in my head.

Also doesn't there mere issuance of the license validate the "verification"?

Who knows? It's vague, that's part of the issue!

If you break it down, it says the law of the state must require law enforcement to verify. So really, whether they verify or not isn't the issue. Law enforcement might verify you are "qualified under law to receive the license." But that isn't relevant unless the law requires it. The whole thing is really, really stupid.

So you're saying the Chief was right, and that after SB116, "kids" would legally be able to carry concealed?

I'm saying that those same "kids" can legally carry openly right now, and passage of SB116 would only change that to them being able to legally carry concealed.

Do I think that's likely? No. It's no more likely that these exact same young teens would legally carry concealed, than it is that they will legally carry openly today, while it's already legal.

Yup that looks right. I guess I inserted something about residency in my head.

The ATF declared that only resident licenses count, even though the law doesn't say that.

The law doesn't say that the license must be issued by the state where the school is located. It says the individual must be "licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located".

If I have a Texas CHL, I am licensed to carry in every state that recognizes the Texas CHL. I'm licensed to carry by every state that requires a license to carry, even in states that didn't issue the license.

Howzat? For instance: it's illegal to carry a handgun concealed or openly in Oklahoma without a license. Anyone with a recognized license is "licensed" under Oklahoma law, and free to carry either concealed or openly.

A literal reading of the GFSZA says that reciprocal non-resident licenses count. The ATF insists the law doesn't mean what it says, which is SOP for the ATF.

Back
Top Bottom