• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas - Homeowner Fatally Shoots Intruder

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/100217-blueberry-homicide
HOUSTON - When he woke up Wednesday morning, life was being pretty good to Roosevelt Jackson Sr.

His 23-year-old son had just moved back in with him, determined to escape his troubled past, and had even joined a church youth group.

But as Jackson sipped his morning cup of coffee, the phone rang.

"I got the details when I got here and seen my son over on the ground, which is not a good feeling," said Jackson.

A white sheet covered his son's body, but wasn't large enough to hide his son's shoes. The boy Jackson gave his name to was gone- shot and killed by a homeowner who woke up to find the younger Jackson crawling through his bedroom window.

"(Jackson Jr.) was obviously in the house uninvited," said Detective M.F. Waters, of the Houston Police Department. Per policy, the case will now be turned over to a grand jury, but investigators said it looked like a clear cut case of a homeowner protecting his property.

A grieving father agreed.

"I'm looking at him on the ground," said Jackson. "He's got to be responsible if he's on the ground."

With his pastor at his side, and his boy's body in plain view, Jackson refused to blame the homeowner.

"A lot of times people make excuses because they don't want to accept reality," said Pastor T. Leon Preston II, as he comforted Jackson. "We teach in our church you have to be responsible for your own actions."

"What can I say?" said Jackson. "That wasn't his house."

But there was still a longing for the grown child whose body lay still under the sheet. Jackson wished for one last father son moment.

"I would ask him one thing. What were you thinking? That (would) be the question," said Jackson. "What was he thinking? 'You have a house. What were you doing in that house?' He forgot about Jesus."

"(Jackson Jr.’s) true inward heart's desire was to do the right thing," said Pastor Preston, who welcomed the younger Jackson into his church three weeks ago. "Sometimes there are things out her that snatch you, and hold you, and you can't break free from them."

Last edited:
True Terraformer. The 'ole man must have had his doubts as to whether the kid was straightening out, probably from a lifetime of the kid being a screwup. Probably been telling himself for years that someday the kid would end up like that. Seems like it was just a sad confirmation of what he knew all along.

It's a cute joke when the people around the kid are deluded into thinking this but here we have a parent who is doing exactly what we think is the honorable thing at a time of great personal tragedy. It's not so cute a joke in this case.

Exactly. The father's acceptance of reality is refreshing.

Rep point inbound.

We all support our right to defend ourselves and we joke about these situations when they come. However, I do feel badly for the people involved. For the shooter, while they did what was necessary, often it will be something they carry around for the rest of their lives. For the family, it's knowing that there are no more opportunities to see their loved ones or try an help them. It is refreshing to see a man who, despite great pain over his loss, can see the situation for what it is. I feel bad for those who were effected by this incident and ones similar to it. It would be better if it never had to happen for all involved, but you have to protect yourself and your loved ones until a time comes that this threat no longer exists.

It's a cute joke when the people around the kid are deluded into thinking this but here we have a parent who is doing exactly what we think is the honorable thing at a time of great personal tragedy. It's not so cute a joke in this case.

This..... the dad actually did not make excuses for his kid.

-Mike

What makes this story particularly poignant, and truly sad, is the father's acknowledgement that his son had brought about his own death through his actions. It's easy to cast blame at a time like this. Harder to accept the truth of it. This man deserves considerable credit, not ridicule.

I have been watching the tv show Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. It has actually been very interesting. You see firsthand how the drugs control these adults and turn them into thinking like infants. One guy tried to smuggle drugs into the facility when he checked in by hiding them in a trash bag in the public restroom. They search EVERYONES luggage and body when they check in, and almost always find something. THey check in, and then 8 hours later they are checking out to "go get my pajamas at home...I'll be right back". Basically none of these drugies have any control over their thinking when the sickness is upon them. And, the show brings up just how easy it is to slip back after release if you hang out with your old druggie friends.

I give the old man props for putting his kid up again in his house. That was essential for the kid to have ANY chance. And the kid probably DID mean well when he first showed up. But those internal demons came back and took over.

A homeowner shooting a criminal in Texas has become a weekly event....not sayin it's a bad thing either.

I feel for the father who tried his best to help his son.

In the early 70's there was a pharmacist in Brighton, who shot & killed an armed robber....it was his son. The druggist knew it when he pulled the trigger, it was the 3rd time he had been robbed by his kid for drugs.

In the early 70's there was a pharmacist in Brighton, who shot & killed an armed robber....it was his son. The druggist knew it when he pulled the trigger, it was the 3rd time he had been robbed by his kid for drugs.

Holy cow. [shocked] Damn.... that guy must've had to do some soul searching.... [sad]

-Mike

"I'm looking at him on the ground," said Jackson. "He's got to be responsible if he's on the ground."

With his pastor at his side, and his boy's body in plain view, Jackson refused to blame the homeowner.

"A lot of times people make excuses because they don't want to accept reality," said Pastor T. Leon Preston II, as he comforted Jackson. "We teach in our church you have to be responsible for your own actions."

"What can I say?" said Jackson. "That wasn't his house."

But there was still a longing for the grown child whose body lay still under the sheet. Jackson wished for one last father son moment.

"I would ask him one thing. What were you thinking? That (would) be the question," said Jackson. "What was he thinking? 'You have a house. What were you doing in that house?' He forgot about Jesus."

Wow, you don't see that too much. I give this guy credit, he has his head on straight.

Wow surprised the father didn't blame the homeowner. We all know that if this happened in MA, the homeowner would be at fault and found guilty!

You know, no matter how I responded to the post, you'd have opened your yap to respond in opposition. I realize the guy took responsibility for his kid and placed the blame squarely where it belonged on his kids shoulders. Lighten up Francis!!!

I'll cry him a river. A parent's job is to raise and teach their kids to do the right thing in life.......obviously this guy failed.

You know, no matter how I responded to the post, you'd have opened your yap to respond in opposition. I realize the guy took responsibility for his kid and placed the blame squarely where it belonged on his kids shoulders. Lighten up Francis!!!

I'll cry him a river. A parent's job is to raise and teach their kids to do the right thing in life.......obviously this guy failed.

Sometimes a parent does those things but it still does not work. We don't know the whole story and for every family it is different.

[rolleyes] oh...please think before you type. From listening to the father he obviously has his head straight and probably raised his kid the best he could possibly do. Many kids who were raised right and taught proper manners and morals just can't get their sh*t straight. Maybe the kid has a mental disorder, maybe he got hooked on drugs (ignoring what he was taught) or maybe he was just too "smart" to listen to any old people. Young and stupid but know everything. How is it that this guy failed?!?!?

Last edited:

I would have? I didn't know I made a habit of disagreeing with you but I will take your word for it. Anyhow, in keeping with the theme, maybe he was a divorced parent who lost most of his parental rights to a mother who was unable to or unwilling to provide parental discipline. 4 nights and 2 weekends a month makes it very hard to provide the type of parental influence over a child if the spouse disagrees with your influence and therefore begins working against your wishes. Don't know if this is the case, but I know a man who has a well adjusted daughter from his second still intact marriage and two drug addled cleptomaniacs from his first marriage. He can't talk about his first two children and I know he blames himself for bringing them into the world because the choice to procreate was the one of the last times this guy had a say in their lives.

Yeah, children are just computers who take their parent's input and produce an appropriate output. They can't think, do, or feel for themselves, they are simply the product of a system no different than a product from the assembly line.

Get a clue.

Okay, I feel I need to say this. Provide us some focus, if I'm allowed.

We need to see things for what they are here...

There are elements within the story, and elements outside the story. To understand all we can from it, we need to dissect it as best we can.

Outside the story, there are two elements... The story teller, and the audience. In a news story, the story teller (the writer) should be telling us what happened and let us draw our own conclusions from the facts/testimony provided. We, the audience, should figure out what we think and feel based on what we read.
In this story, a few things are apparent to me...

The father is a stand up man (from what we know).

The perp is dead and rightfully so (from what we know).

The writer is painting a picture that makes the perp and the perps family out to be the true victims of tragedy. But the only one victimized was the actual victim.

So, while I give massive credit to the father of the perp for "owning what is his", I think the writer is a shitbag who is trying to play the "what a tragic loss" card that we see so often.
I think beltfed was reacting to the slant of the writer more than the character of the father. It came off wrong from him I think, but I had the same gut reaction of irritation when I read the story, even though I think the father seems to be a stand up dude.

Takes a lot for a dad to take it like he did. Even with the best parents and family support, kids can take the wrong path. Between drugs, peer pressure, and many other outside forces, the very best kids can make a bad choice which snowballs into a heck of a lot more through out life and have this result. Sad story all around. Unfortunately with the boy dead there is only one side to be heard.

What exactly is the law here in MA??? I thought we still fell under the "castle" law, which meant if someone illegally enters your home, all bets are off. Is that still the case? I've heard others mention "if you can leave you must", but that is very subjective. I CAN jump out the second story window, but I'm not going to.

Back
Top Bottom