Temporary License to Carry Firearms

GSG

So I'm planning my escape from the People's Republic of Massachusetts, but since I have friends and family here still, I plan to return at least sometimes after moving to free America.

After reading the MGL's about non-resident Mass. LTC's (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131f.htm) I noticed that it repeats a few times that it's a "temporary" license to carry firearms.

I know it's $100 per year, but I'm wondering if there's a time limit or something on how long you can maintain one? Temporary implies short term, and I know a few people here on NES have Mass. non-res. LTC's, so I'm wondering if there's a cutoff point or something. Do the State Police frown on maintaining one for more than a year or two, or am I thinking too much into this?

Any facts, thoughts, or anecdotal evidence would be great. [grin]

I know it's $100 per year, but I'm wondering if there's a time limit or something on how long you can maintain one? Temporary implies short term, and I know a few people here on NES have Mass. non-res. LTC's, so I'm wondering if there's a cutoff point or something. Do the State Police frown on maintaining one for more than a year or two, or am I thinking too much into this?

You're thinking too much. You can renew the thing indefinitely. The only reason it's temporary/1 year is because thats what
the law states for the duration of the permit issuance window.

-Mike

They use the word "temporary" because they cannot use the word "non-resident" since it is theoretically applicable also to residents in areas of the state not under the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. It is only in reference to the fact that it lasts one year.

OK, it just got me thinking, since it wouldn't surprise me if this state shut you off with a harsh "No soup for you!"

They use the word "temporary" because they cannot use the word "non-resident" since it is theoretically applicable also to residents in areas of the state not under the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority.

Whoa whoa whoa.

You mean to tell me that if someone lives in an itty bitty municipality without a police chief (I'm guessing real small, like Goshen or something similar), they have to pay $100 a year, and they can't use it to buy firearms?!?

It seems like every time I learn something new about Mass. gun laws I want to throw up even more.

You mean to tell me that if someone lives in an itty bitty municipality without a police chief (I'm guessing real small, like Goshen or something similar), they have to pay $100 a year, and they can't use it to buy firearms?!?

Goshen has a PD. A licensing authority is defined in § 121 as "the chief of police or the board or officer having control of the police in a city or town, or persons authorized by them." So I imagine unless the only police responsible for where you live is the state police, you'll have a licensing authority. And even then, the State Police are authorized to issue you a § 131 LTC. So I'm not sure there even are any residents who would need to apply for a § 131F LTC.

Last edited:
Goshen has a PD. A licensing authority is defined in § 121 as "the chief of police or the board or officer having control of the police in a city or town, or persons authorized by them." So I imagine unless the only police responsible for where you live is the state police, you'll have a licensing authority. And even then, the State Police are authorized to issue you a § 131 LTC. So I'm not sure there even are any residents who would need to apply for a § 131F LTC.

Then why the heck would they make it available to residents too?

Do ANY parts of the Mass. gun laws make sense?

Then why the heck would they make it available to residents too?

shrug.gif
I've never heard it explained what they were thinking about.

Do ANY parts of the Mass. gun laws make sense?

C. 265 § 5 makes reasonable sense. It states that anyone tried in another state or country for participating in a duel can use that as a defense to a charge for the same crime in MA. [grin]

shrug.gif
I've never heard it explained what they were thinking about.

C. 265 § 5 makes reasonable sense. It states that anyone tried in another state or country for participating in a duel can use that as a defense to a charge for the same crime in MA. [grin]

[laugh]

I'll keep laughing away these tears.

Back
Top Bottom