• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Template for letter of recommendation?

pj150

NES Member
My cousin is applying for his LTC and one requirement was to have two letters from aquaintences that attest to your character. I remember a long time ago, someone may have posted a template of some sorts that outlined a few points but I cannot seem to find it. Would anyone have this?

Thanks.

My cousin is applying for his LTC and one requirement was to have two letters from aquaintences [sic] that attest to your character. I remember a long time ago, someone may have posted a template of some sorts that outlined a few points but I cannot seem to find it. Would anyone have this?

Try the stickies on THIS section! [wink]

Note that there is NO statutory requirement for any letters, still less from whom or how formatted.

For FID cards, not even a reference is required.

Check out page 7 number 7 I know there shouldn't be anything additional besides the 4 page application but looking at the police website and the pdf for the 'packet' there is a section that the department requires or requests, however you look at it.

We're going to comply with whatever they want since many folks we have asked about did not know how if if they even give out LTC-A ALP. Yes, we did check with GOAL and we are all members.

http://ci.lexington.ma.us/Police/Forms/firearmapp.nar.pdf

7. Lexington Police Department Licensing Requirements
The written application is enclosed with this informational packet.

- New LTC applicants must submit a letter attached to the application explaining the reasons for desiring a LTC. This is not necessary for FID Cards.

- New applicants for LTC’s must submit written references from two persons, who are known to or otherwise found satisfactory by the issuing authority, stating that the applicant is of sound mind and character and is believed by the reference to be a proper person with a suitable purpose to possess such a license. The written reference letters must be attached to the application

Last edited:
Mental note: do NOT move to Lexington.

Reason for desiring an LTC: The British tried to disarm us 200+ years ago, and you never know when the legistraitors on Bacon Hill will try it again.

Here, let me say it....

In the mighty words of the Scrivener....

"What you tolerate, you validate."

And I'm with you two, never move to Lexington, unless it's Lexington, Kentucky...then why would I want to move to UK country? Some of my family are U of L fans and alumni. Louisville and Kentucky don't get along...they are like the Sox/Yankees rivalry.

In all fairness.. since we KNOW the chiefs have complete discression in issuing licenses... I'm just curious as to how wise it is to fight this "requirement". If you hire legal council I'm sure that might help but otherwise you're screwed either way IMO.

Dave, can YOU imagine anyone, even the Lexington COP, standing up to the scorn that the mighty Scrivener could heap on him during the application process? [wink]

Dave, can YOU imagine anyone, even the Lexington COP, standing up to the scorn that the mighty Scrivener could heap on him during the application process? [wink]

Ask the Brookline chief. Or Taunton. Or Attleboro. Or Gloucester.

If you want "warm fuzzies," go to the rescue shelters and adopt an animal.

That's where ours come from.

Even you have your limits, eh, Scriv?

I did... see result below:

DSCF0023.jpg

That's where ours come from.

Can you explain? Did you succesfully "beat" the system for clients there?

I got my pet from an animal shelter too... she's an awesome cat!

Kudos to the cat adopters above.

Taunton: 3 for 3; another one coming up.
Brookline and Gloucester are pending.
Attleboro: 1 loss; 1 loss appealed, accepted and now pending rehearing in Superior Court.

PJ, maybe your cousin can seek some legal advice or letter from a lawyer. It is especially poignant with the whole Lexington & Concord and British connection.

Well, at no time did I complain about the process. I mearly asked about the body of a letter that I need to write. The whole fight the power thing took off on it's own here.

Since it is not me who is applying, I believe his course of action is that he will just 'roll with it' and supply whatever is requested with the application. I don't think he will want to go experimenting and wind up making enemies in his hometown.

Thanks for your replies and I appreciate the comments.

When getting a Letter of Reference for LTC-ALP one of the advised elments is to discuss a specific character trait showing suitability to carry a firearm and give an example, such as completing a stressful job calmly, on time, and without losing your temper or good judgement. Does anyone have any other suggested character traits relating to carrying a firearm? Your input is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom