Tell me about .22LR conversions for Glocks

kalash

NES Member
After taking 5 minutes to field strip, clean, and lube my Glock last night, I spent a solid two hours doing the same to my MkIII Ruger. The Austrian has seriously spoiled me when it comes to maintenance; I also don't shoot a lot of .22 and use it mainly when teaching new shooters; plus I'd love to clear out some room in the safe. Basically I'm thinking of selling the Ruger and buying a .22 kit for the Glock. Chances are, I'll even have money left over.

So... .22LR conversion kits for a G19. What are my options? How's the mag availability? Are these generally reliable? Are they picky when it comes to ammo?

I have a TacSol G19 topend that I bought to be used as a suppressor host and back yard training gun, but I spend more time clearing FTE's then I do shooting. Mags are easy enough to find for it, but I am contemplating just getting an M&P22 or 22/45 Lite.

After taking 5 minutes to field strip, clean, and lube my Glock last night, I spent a solid two hours doing the same to my MkIII Ruger. The Austrian has seriously spoiled me when it comes to maintenance; I also don't shoot a lot of .22 and use it mainly when teaching new shooters; plus I'd love to clear out some room in the safe. Basically I'm thinking of selling the Ruger and buying a .22 kit for the Glock. Chances are, I'll even have money left over.

So... .22LR conversion kits for a G19. What are my options? How's the mag availability? Are these generally reliable? Are they picky when it comes to ammo?

I had an Advantage Arms kit for my G17 for a while. It was pretty reliable as long as I fed it its preferred ammo (Mini Mags), but it had a hard time with the cheaper bulk pack stuff. Stovepipes were the most common issue, and sometimes I'd have a failure to feed. I wound up getting a MkIII and selling the AA kit because I liked having something that was 100% reliable even with the cheap stuff.

I have the Advantage Arms kit for my G23, and use the stronger grade of bulk for this gun. As Miaboss stated it did not like the real cheap stuff, I don't use the magnums, but have had pretty good luck with the AA kit. I have a 22 conversion kit by Magpul for my 5.56 and same thing, it likes the better rounds.

Aw, shucks. Maybe I'll keep the MkIII or even get an SR22 then. Or invest in a 10/22 even. Decisions, decisions [smile]

We have a G17 that oftentimes sports the Advantage Arms conversion kit. They recommend mini-mags (too expensive) or Rem Golden Bullets. Runs great with Rem GB, no issues at all.

Mags tend to only be available where you can get the AA kit.

The upper is aluminum and thus weight of the gun is drastically different than with the normal slide.

I've got an Advantage Arms for my Glock 34. Paperwork that came with it made ammo recommendations. I run Remington Gold Bullets, (bulk pack), through it with no issue. I have mixed feelings about it. It runs fine, but my Buckmarks are far more accurate, and I'd just as soon train using 9mm in my Glock. On the other hand, I pull it out of the safe every so often, and it's fun. Planning on taking my grandson to the range later this week and it's one of the firearms I'll bring with me for him to use because the controls are so simple.

As for the 10/22, just buy one. They're ridiculously cheap, accurate, and you can do anything you want to them. I put a reasonably decent scope on mine, a Boyd's thumbhole stock, and a Timney trigger. Yup, how to turn a < $300 plinker into a $600 plinker just to shoot plates and benchrest...

Love my G19 AA kit. It's got expensive taste but so do my women so I'm used to that. I've never been a fan of dedicated .22 handguns as I simpy don't find them practical. I train with my 19 and with the kit I train with my 19.

I have the AA G19 gen2-3 kit and echo the previous posts... it doesn't like federal bulk but runs flawlessly on minimags. I actually ended up getting a second frame to dedicate the kit to rather than swapping the slides back and forth. I'll have to give golden bullets a run through it based on this feedback.

I've got a Tactical Solutions Glock 17 kit and it runs flawlessly.

I'd be happy to show it to the OP if he wanted to meet me at the Weston Shooters club or MA rifle.

Not only does it run well, it runs on cheap "Bucket o Bullets" ammo.

I've actually got some for sale if anyone is interested. And no, I'm not pitching a product that doesn't work. Like I said, I'd be happy to let someone try it.

It was very neat. Last week, I was running it with a can on it. To switch back to 9mm, I just did the normal Glock take down and the can came off with the upper. I then simply slid on the original 9mm slide with a 9mm can on it. The swap took 15 seconds and did not require removing the can from the barrel.

Don

p.s. To the OP. one other thing. If its taking you more than 2 min to take a Ruger apart and more than 5 min to put it back together, you are doing something very wrong. A good first step would be to remove the mag safety. That makes the gun much easier to reassemble, it also allows the mags to spring out on their own when you push the mag release. For removing the mainspring, a bent paper clip held in vise grips works great. I actually made a tool by welding a paper clip to a screwdriver.

For the ruger, get the majestic arms speed strip kit. It replaces the rear pin with a 2 piece one that unscrews. All you do is cock the pistol, unscrew the pin and slide the bolt out the rear of the gun. No need to remove the swing down arm and pin. It also removes the mag disconnect improving trigger pull

Back
Top Bottom