Telephone pole for pistol range barrier

My club is looking for a twenty to twenty five foot telephone pole to construct the barrier for a pistol range. Anyone know where we could get one?

Go right to the source ...Verizon. Ask anyone ...lineman, or office, after the December storm last year, there was a glut of phone poles available.

We got a few for our Gun Club by contacting the local PD ...who are Members. They had connections to get them. And they were happy to be rid of the broken ones. 25' is a fairly lengthy pole, but those were available too.

The other place that had 'em stacked up was the local transfer station (dump). Towns in MA North and West of Worcester must have some kicking around.

We use some at our club to protect the target bases.

One concern brought up last time however, was the pitch/creosote and other chemicals in the poles making for regular disposal somewhat difficult once they were shot to hell.

Last edited:
Verizon as a policy will not give out used poles. I think it is a liability policy.
I know first hand, as i am a lineman (outside plant technician) for them. No harm in asking. Twenty five footer is not at all that tall, it is we put in the used pole pile after replacing a pole. They are also very heavy about 600 to 900 LBS

Electric company

Our club has received some retired poles from our local electric light utility. I don't think Verizon or the other phone companies own the poles any more. One thing to be aware of - if they're going to be set in the ground within 100' of a wetland or stream, your conservation commission may have to write you a permit because of the creosote.

Back
Top Bottom