• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax return = new toy

basscatfrank

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
525
Likes
391
Location
NH
I had been looking around at lever action rifles and figured I get something to plink with at the range so I narrowed my choice to an inexpensive Rossi or maybe a Marlin. Then I did my taxes and ended up with a nicer return than I thought. That led me to a different choice. On it's way to me now is a Henry Big Boy in .357. My FFL guy is on vacation next week so I won't get my hands on it until the week after. I haven't been this excited about a gun in a long time. It almost looks too good to shoot. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on it. I just missed a listing on GunsAmerica but it said they would accept back up offers. I guess the original buyer backed out and I ended up getting it for $669 plus shipping. Here is a stock picture, I'll post one of my actual rifle when I get it in my sweaty paws.



images
 
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
2,138
Likes
254
I owned a couple of lever action rifles, they sure are a hoot to shoot.

I did not like my 44 Mag one, too much recoil with the metal buttplate.

Chris
 

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
15,897
Likes
12,447
Location
North Shore
I owned a couple of lever action rifles, they sure are a hoot to shoot.

I did not like my 44 Mag one, too much recoil with the metal buttplate.

Chris

Did you have the Henry 44? It's so damn heavy that it helps with recoil but it is definitely more stout than the Henry 357.
 

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
15,897
Likes
12,447
Location
North Shore
Damn

You should rent it out to the city of Boston as a snow melter.

Haha yeah that'd be fun huh.

These were 180 gr Hornady XTPs with ~30 gr of H110. They throw an insane flame compared to my 240 gr loads.

- - - Updated - - -

No, just the Rossi 44 Mag. The 357 is such a joy to shoot I was pretty disappointed with the 44 mag from a recoil perspective.

Chris

Oh okay. Yeah I think the Rossi's are a little lighter? You'd enjoy the Henry 44, plenty of weight.
 

Glockshot21

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Joined
Mar 12, 2014
Messages
78
Likes
17
Tax return

Hey guys! While on the subject of tax return purchases. Here is what I did with my tax return!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 80

whacko

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
11,987
Likes
9,737
I plan on a new gun for tax return day. I am trying to decide on:

lever action rifle in 30-30 (marlin or Winchester)
large frame 357 magnum like a gp100 or 686
decent condition sks

Half the fun is in the looking around!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joined
Feb 14, 2015
Messages
8
Likes
2
Location
Manchester, CT
I had been looking around at lever action rifles and figured I get something to plink with at the range so I narrowed my choice to an inexpensive Rossi or maybe a Marlin. Then I did my taxes and ended up with a nicer return than I thought. That led me to a different choice. On it's way to me now is a Henry Big Boy in .357. My FFL guy is on vacation next week so I won't get my hands on it until the week after. I haven't been this excited about a gun in a long time. It almost looks too good to shoot. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on it. I just missed a listing on GunsAmerica but it said they would accept back up offers. I guess the original buyer backed out and I ended up getting it for $669 plus shipping. Here is a stock picture, I'll post one of my actual rifle when I get it in my sweaty paws.



images

Wow, keen minds think alike! I just ordered one in .44!
 

Andreas

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 20, 2011
Messages
995
Likes
73
Location
Western MA
I plan on a new gun for tax return day. I am trying to decide on:

lever action rifle in 30-30 (marlin or Winchester)
large frame 357 magnum like a gp100 or 686
decent condition sks

Half the fun is in the looking around!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, I remember back when I worked for corporations.... heh. Now tax day for me is a day of dread as a self-employed person.

That said, out of the above, if you don't have a decent 357 wheel gun yet, get one. I don't bring my 686 to the range often, but every time I do I have a smile on my face.... and the smile gets bigger the more I shoot it and let friends shoot it. :)

My main dream now is to get an R8, and hand off my stainless 686 7-rounder.... and yes, I'll fully admit that 40% of the reason is that I love the way it looks, but the other 60% is having pulled the trigger on one.... SO very nice.
 
Top Bottom