Tax return = new toy

basscatfrank

NES Member
I had been looking around at lever action rifles and figured I get something to plink with at the range so I narrowed my choice to an inexpensive Rossi or maybe a Marlin. Then I did my taxes and ended up with a nicer return than I thought. That led me to a different choice. On it's way to me now is a Henry Big Boy in .357. My FFL guy is on vacation next week so I won't get my hands on it until the week after. I haven't been this excited about a gun in a long time. It almost looks too good to shoot. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on it. I just missed a listing on GunsAmerica but it said they would accept back up offers. I guess the original buyer backed out and I ended up getting it for $669 plus shipping. Here is a stock picture, I'll post one of my actual rifle when I get it in my sweaty paws.

images

I owned a couple of lever action rifles, they sure are a hoot to shoot.

I did not like my 44 Mag one, too much recoil with the metal buttplate.

Chris

I owned a couple of lever action rifles, they sure are a hoot to shoot.

I did not like my 44 Mag one, too much recoil with the metal buttplate.

Chris

Did you have the Henry 44? It's so damn heavy that it helps with recoil but it is definitely more stout than the Henry 357.

Did you have the Henry 44? It's so damn heavy that it helps with recoil but it is definitely more stout than the Henry 357.

No, just the Rossi 44 Mag. The 357 is such a joy to shoot I was pretty disappointed with the 44 mag from a recoil perspective.

Chris

Damn

You should rent it out to the city of Boston as a snow melter.

Haha yeah that'd be fun huh.

These were 180 gr Hornady XTPs with ~30 gr of H110. They throw an insane flame compared to my 240 gr loads.

- - - Updated - - -

No, just the Rossi 44 Mag. The 357 is such a joy to shoot I was pretty disappointed with the 44 mag from a recoil perspective.

Chris

Oh okay. Yeah I think the Rossi's are a little lighter? You'd enjoy the Henry 44, plenty of weight.

Andrew, Are the receivers drilled and tapped now or did you do it?

Yes they're already drilled and tapped from Henry. All you have to buy is the scope mount from Henry then slap on some rings and a scope. They're very accurate with the scopes. A ton of fun to shoot.

Tax return

Hey guys! While on the subject of tax return purchases. Here is what I did with my tax return!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 80
I plan on a new gun for tax return day. I am trying to decide on:

lever action rifle in 30-30 (marlin or Winchester)
large frame 357 magnum like a gp100 or 686
decent condition sks

Half the fun is in the looking around!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had been looking around at lever action rifles and figured I get something to plink with at the range so I narrowed my choice to an inexpensive Rossi or maybe a Marlin. Then I did my taxes and ended up with a nicer return than I thought. That led me to a different choice. On it's way to me now is a Henry Big Boy in .357. My FFL guy is on vacation next week so I won't get my hands on it until the week after. I haven't been this excited about a gun in a long time. It almost looks too good to shoot. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on it. I just missed a listing on GunsAmerica but it said they would accept back up offers. I guess the original buyer backed out and I ended up getting it for $669 plus shipping. Here is a stock picture, I'll post one of my actual rifle when I get it in my sweaty paws.

images

Wow, keen minds think alike! I just ordered one in .44!

I plan on a new gun for tax return day. I am trying to decide on:

lever action rifle in 30-30 (marlin or Winchester)
large frame 357 magnum like a gp100 or 686
decent condition sks

Half the fun is in the looking around!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, I remember back when I worked for corporations.... heh. Now tax day for me is a day of dread as a self-employed person.

That said, out of the above, if you don't have a decent 357 wheel gun yet, get one. I don't bring my 686 to the range often, but every time I do I have a smile on my face.... and the smile gets bigger the more I shoot it and let friends shoot it. :)

My main dream now is to get an R8, and hand off my stainless 686 7-rounder.... and yes, I'll fully admit that 40% of the reason is that I love the way it looks, but the other 60% is having pulled the trigger on one.... SO very nice.

Back
Top Bottom