• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax refund...help me pick a NOD

APFSDS

NES Member
So I am supposed to get a pretty decent tax refund this year, and I have had my eye on a nice night vision device for a while now. I would ideally get a PVS-31 and a high-res thermal sight, but that is not going to happen in the near future as my budget is about 3500 or 4000 dollars. I have done a little research, and a brand-name single-tube intensifier is supposed to be a good entry level system. I'm thinking PVS-14 from TNVC but I'm open to suggestions. I would like unfilmed WP, but that might be out of my price range. It would also be nice to have a) good customer service and b) the shortest lead-time possible. Compatibility with both helmet mount and weapon mount is what I really want. AA battery compatibility is also nice to have but I can live without it. Suggestions on vendor, brand and device? Accessories? Is a PVS-14 what I really need for my application (see below). I want a bump helmet but don't need it immediately (that can be a separate budget). Do I NEED the WP/unfilmed tube? I have heard the difference is noticeable. This is for nighttime hunting when I go back to the free states, a bit of surveillance (my buddy has 500 acres and trouble with poachers and meth head trespassers), and SHTF use.

So I am supposed to get a pretty decent tax refund this year, and I have had my eye on a nice night vision device for a while now. I would ideally get a PVS-31 and a high-res thermal sight, but that is not going to happen in the near future as my budget is about 3500 or 4000 dollars. I have done a little research, and a brand-name single-tube intensifier is supposed to be a good entry level system. I'm thinking PVS-14 from TNVC but I'm open to suggestions. I would like unfilmed WP, but that might be out of my price range. It would also be nice to have a) good customer service and b) the shortest lead-time possible. Compatibility with both helmet mount and weapon mount is what I really want. AA battery compatibility is also nice to have but I can live without it. Suggestions on vendor, brand and device? Accessories? Is a PVS-14 what I really need for my application (see below). I want a bump helmet but don't need it immediately (that can be a separate budget). Do I NEED the WP/unfilmed tube? I have heard the difference is noticeable. This is for nighttime hunting when I go back to the free states, a bit of surveillance (my buddy has 500 acres and trouble with poachers and meth head trespassers), and SHTF use.
Not trying to speak from any position of authority here, but I think for what you’re considering a good Gen 3 tube will suit you fine, even if it’s not unfilmed. Mine is an elbit xlsh white phos and I’ve been very satisfied with the quality. That should fall within your price range. I got mine with a bump for under $4K on Black Friday from Steele Industries, and I’d recommend them on account of fast shipping and solid customer service. I’ve heard good things about TNVC though. I use mine for night hunting and lurking on my property. If you’re curious about tube specs, feel free to DM me. Pictures never do it justice, but to give you an idea of quality check out this guys’ Reddit post Tube POV

Last edited:
Thanks! I had been on the hunt for other vendors because TNVC's lead times are kinda long. I have heard good things about Steele ind. Yeah, I don't need the latest and greatest by any means, but "buy once cry once" has happened to me before, so I want quality even if it's not something seal team six uses lol.

ETA: did you pay more for a higher FOM tube, and do you know if it's worth it?

Thanks! I had been on the hunt for other vendors because TNVC's lead times are kinda long. I have heard good things about Steele ind. Yeah, I don't need the latest and greatest by any means, but "buy once cry once" has happened to me before, so I want quality even if it's not something seal team six uses lol.

ETA: did you pay more for a higher FOM tube, and do you know if it's worth it?
My FOM was 2259 and during the sale they priced that unit at $2700. I’ve only owned this one unit but from what I know you do pay more for higher FOM. It’s important to know what the specs are that actually make up your FOM, since it’s calculated based off a number of other specs, but generally a high FOM is better (you probably already know all this, and full disclosure: I’m comparing my tube to the few other Gen 2 tubes and one Gen 3 green phos tube I looked through in the military. I never spent much time under those though, just got to peek)

Brass Facts has a great video on YouTube explaining all the specs that are measured on tubes and what they mean.

I ended up getting a JRH thin-filmed WP PVS-14. I was going to get a 1900FOM high-grade tube unit for 3000, but they were out of them and gave me their memorial day special mid-grade tube unit with a 2200+ FOM for the same price. When I got the unit it actually had a ~2500 FOM! It came with a soft case, skull crusher, J-arm and some other small bits and pieces. I am super impressed with their customer service and the quality of the NOD. I had a gen II GP unit years ago and this blows it out of the water.

JRH is a good company and the guy is very active with good info on different forums.

How are you liking it now that you’ve had it for a few weeks?

JRH is a good company and the guy is very active with good info on different forums.

How are you liking it now that you’ve had it for a few weeks?
It's totally great. I have just used it around the yard but it is very clear and the intensification is great, even with cloud cover and such. I do like the manual gain, I think my last NOD had auto-gain. I have not had a chance to play with the skull crusher too much but I have heard they are very uncomfortable after a short while. I did figure out that one of my neighbors has a huge camera setup around their house, the woods were lit up like a UFO was landing...it was the infrared LEDs on his cameras.

Here is the only pic I have through the tube, it's surprisingly hard to get lined up. It doesn't do it justice:
signal-2023-05-30-212948_002.jpeg

You should redo your W4, you're giving the government a free loan
I had a bunch of medical expenses and some other deductions that I think got me the $$$ back. But I will check it out and see if I am over-paying throughout the year.

Back
Top Bottom