• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target shooting in state forests...

I'm trying to find out if it is legal to target shoot in state forests? I want to check my shotgun pattern before turkey season opens and was just going to head to the local state forest (it allows hunting in season) and hit a couple targets. I can't find any info on any of the state web sites of state park websites...this is in MA. Does anybody know?

Thanks,

-Jonathan

I asked a DCR employee at one of the local state forests and he said that people do it but they aren't supposed to but he didn't really want to talk so he could have been brushing me off.

Martin Burns target range

There is a target range at Martin Burns WMA in Newbury. Call the F&G for details on permission to use the range. There are two lanes with target holders, 100' range.
GC

"(j) Target Shooting. Target shooting or target practice on any WMA without the written permission of the MassWildlife Director or his agent. Permits are issued only for the target range at Martin Burns WMA. Contact Northeast Wildlife District. This restriction does not pertain to the use of firearms with blank cartridges for the purpose of dog training;"
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/wma_regs.htm

The state has a program where they kick money back to gun ranges that stay open to the public. They are listed somewhere on the internet under mass.gov.

Back
Top Bottom