• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tannerite targets

They are a blast, quite literally. As for MA legalities, who the hell knows.

Last edited:
I have never seen them in a store here in MA, or being used at the range, which is why I ask. I have seen videos, and it seems like it would be a lot of fun to use especially as a reactive target for long range shooting.

What made me think of it was that I got an ad from Palmetto saying they had the targets in stock, so I was considering trying them out if they wouldn't get me arrested.

I have never seen them in a store here in MA, or being used at the range, which is why I ask. I have seen videos, and it seems like it would be a lot of fun to use especially as a reactive target for long range shooting.

What made me think of it was that I got an ad from Palmetto saying they had the targets in stock, so I was considering trying them out if they wouldn't get me arrested.

well i guess we've never been at the range at the same time before. lets see there was the giant stuffed pumpkin, the bass amp, the keyboard and a couple other things like empty propane tanks and anything we find for free on the side of the road.

Are Tannerite targets legal here in MA, and if so who has tried them?

Dude you really, really need to come to one of the shoots we have up here.
It's readily available and sometimes the dealers in attendance will bring some for sale.

...but you'd better be able to hit it with your first shot because iffin' you don't make it go BOOM ! somebody else will ! [rofl]

Dude you really, really need to come to one of the shoots we have up here.
It's readily available and sometimes the dealers in attendance will bring some for sale.

...but you'd better be able to hit it with your first shot because iffin' you don't make it go BOOM ! somebody else will ! [rofl]

I would love to attend one sometime! We actually have family in NH so I do get there from time to time. Where do they usually take place?

Search, it's been discussed many times. I believe the consensus is that it is legal to posses them, but not legal to shoot them even if your club/range gives you permission.

Not always.

As far as I know they are legal to sell and possess before they are mixed but when they are mixed they become illegal according to the last shit show of a thread we had about this.

See that's what I was afraid of, because you are essentially making an explosive device. I tried to seach on it before I posted but couldn't locate any relevant threads.

Remember that MA laws are convoluted and make no sense. Don't even attempt to apply logic when trying to understand them. Logic wasn't used to write them. There are some very bright legal minds on this forum, and they struggle with a lot of the laws.

When the LEO shows up to investigate a phone call about something that went boom I can guarantee you he will have an even lower understanding of this kind of MGL. He'll just assume that if it went boom it must be illegal. Even if it is legal, it will cost a lot of lawyer money to fix that.

NH is pretty close. Go there and have a blast.

[smile]

Every now and then Holbrook will hold a boomer shoot. You can purchase exploding targets. The size of the boom is in direct proportion to the size of your purchasing power.

A very well known dealer here sells something called Shock Wave exploding rifle targets. I'm sure he will chime in eventually.

How does that compare to Tannerite?

Adam and I once observed a side by side comparison. The Shockwave jars are bigger. Whether it was the increased size or the slightly different formula, I shall not speculate, but the Shockwave boom was more satisfying and there was a more impressive white cloud generated by the Shockwave.

They are also packaged differently. We found the Shockwave more convenient.

the club i belong to allowed the use of exploding targets until 2 months ago. it was due to 2 seperate incidents this past feb. two different times someone used very large exploding targets. when the first target went off i was at the club with most of the other officers. the rifle range is about 3 tenths of a mile from the clubhouse and the ground actually shook from the blast. the members at the range were told not to use them again. a week or two later someone again shot one of the large targets on the rifle range. we do not have anyone at the ranges observing every one using them (we use the honor system which works 99 times out of a 100). at our meeting in march it was decided to ban the use of all exploding targets no matter what size they are. we had no choice as we dont have the manpower to monitor it all the time.

bob

The sportsman's den in Quincy has them. I know they have been used in Holbrook in club sponsored events (I could be wrong). They must be a blast LOL

Back
Top Bottom