• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

South Shore Ranges that allow steel targets

rkwjunior

NES Member
Hello, Been out of the shooting game for a couple years. I belong to Hanson Rod and Gun and learned just today that they had banned steel targets on the rifle range back in September last year. Ive been a member there for 10 yrs and have always liked that range due to it being a little more "lenient" on range rules vs other local ranges. I owned and bought lots of steel targets and now they are of no use at my range, so aggravating!!!. Just cant win with gun control and range control in this state. Whos side are they on? Did someone get hurt at the range?
Anyone know of another South Shore range that allows steel targets?

Mansfield F&G allows them. All the rules are on the website, www.mansfieldfish.com

There is currently a waiting list, but membership year starts Sept 1st and I don't know if they will raise the membership cap or not this year.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into them. Never thought I'd have to travel 45 minutes or more to a good range.
It's such a joke.
Steel targets are used all over the world in competions, but can't use them at Hanson Rod and Gun club.?
Derp...

OP- why were they banned? I understand that you've been out of the game for a couple of years, but part of being a member of a Club, is helping to direct it.

People at my Club have said, "Why don't you run for BoD?" I tell them that I'm spread thin enough as it is, and I can't devote the time. Of course, since I won't step up, I also don't b!tch about the BoD's actions. That said, there was a rule change that I didn't like, so I borought it to the BoD, presented my case, and got it reversed.

In my experience, whenever something like this happens, it's in response to a reason.

. Lucky I don’t go on the site much. No ones ever said anything except to use them at the 100 yard line. Better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission. As members we invest a lot into shooting accessories and should not be told standard shooting items are banned. Fellow gun enthusiast are our own worst enemy.

OP- why were they banned? I understand that you've been out of the game for a couple of years, but part of being a member of a Club, is helping to direct it.

People at my Club have said, "Why don't you run for BoD?" I tell them that I'm spread thin enough as it is, and I can't devote the time. Of course, since I won't step up, I also don't b!tch about the BoD's actions. That said, there was a rule change that I didn't like, so I borought it to the BoD, presented my case, and got it reversed.

In my experience, whenever something like this happens, it's in response to a reason.
I understand that. But I've been busy with other life issues.
Today was the first time back to the range in 2 yrs. Before I left I breezed over the website to see what's new, and that's how I found it. So I have no idea why.
Steel is a staple in shooting these days, competion etc etc. I cant imagine the BoD at Hanson R&G found a safety issue with steel NOBODY else in the shooting community knows about.
It saves on paper targets and there own cardboard and wood target stands that they make for members.

Apologies, I did not realize your post was about bringing one’s own steel targets. At marshfield, the club has designated steel gong style targets at various ranges from 50-200yds. You can not use your own steel AFAIK.
That sounds pretty good actually.
I've been wanting to learn some "long distance" (east coast long distance)...lol
I'm also thinking of joining Granby to use the 1000 yard range.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into them. Never thought I'd have to travel 45 minutes or more to a good range.
It's such a joke.
Steel targets are used all over the world in competions, but can't use them at Hanson Rod and Gun club.?
Derp...
Some ranges are weird about steel.

Some don't want people bringing theirs because it might be set up at the wrong angle or whatever, but they also don't want to put some steel because "someone will shoot it with a rifle", even if you offer to buy it.

Yes and no. I don't have time to run for office but I can sure complain about how this country is run. ;)

I get where you're coming from. But taht doesn't absolve the BoD from doing some bonehead things. I mean, if they said that they want everyone masked for safety on the ranges, would we say, "Well, I don't have time, so we gotta respect their decisions."

I watched some boards go over. . . .board. Shocking. Like took a huge left turn and then stepped on the gas. Even people expressing concern at meetings were met with a brick wall. Voted with my feet instead.

That said - Mansfield - must be at the berm. So 50 or 100yds. Used to be anywhere on the range. They are concerned with Rick O'Shea over the berms I guess. I always get a kick out of the guys that come up with about 85# of trash and such. They blow it to hell and then pick it all up, so it's good. But it's funny to watch.

That said - Mansfield - must be at the berm. So 50 or 100yds. Used to be anywhere on the range. They are concerned with Rick O'Shea over the berms I guess. I always get a kick out of the guys that come up with about 85# of trash and such. They blow it to hell and then pick it all up, so it's good. But it's funny to watch.
Taunton needs to be at the berm as well, so on the two wide ranges, you're limited to either 50 or 100 yards. On the two narrow ranges, the steel needs to be at the berm, but on the narrow ones you can shoot from any place along the range, so you can adjust that way.

They are concerned with Rick O'Shea over the berms I guess.
As a side note, it took me WAY too freaking long to get that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Independent on the Foxboro/Plainville line has steel targets set up on the 25 yard pistol range as well as a couple of steel targets on the 100 yard rifle (bench rest only) range.

One thing to consider at the ranges that allow you to bring steel, like MFG, is that the steel targets have to be set up at the berms which are either 50 yards or 100 depending which range you're using. Depending what kind of shooting you're looking at doing, that may work, but if you want to go out to the berm & shoot at closer distances then the range has to be empty or everyone shooting has to agree to move the line out to the berm. Something to consider if you're traveling any distance.

Back
Top Bottom