Taking Down Squirrels

If you really want to get rid of those squirrels, call exterminators. Shooting them isn;t going to solve the "problem": new animals will replace the killed ones. Plus, shooting them with an air rifle isn't going to kill them right away, and will leave wounded animals to suffer and die slowly.
Why are the squirrels worse than birds [thinking]

My friend had squirrels in his attic. They tried everything to get them out. Finally, he had to go up in there and kill it. It was a traumatic event with lots of screaming by all involved.

So my girlfriend's mom wants to be able to shoot at some squirrels that go for the bird feeders in her back yard. Based on her location, it is quite obvious that she can't use a gun for this... too close to a road. What I was wondering was if an air rifle of some sort would do the job, and the legality of hunting squirrels with a rifle like that. Do you still need a hunting license of some sort for this, and do the seasons still apply?

Thanks in advance.

Quality air rifles are the shiznit! Beeman R-9 (on the bottom) and R-7 here. VERY accurate and powerful enough. The R-9 will blow a .177 cal pellet clean through a squirrel...length wise! The R-7 is lower power, but MUCH smoother and nicer to shoot. Both rifles have adjustable triggers to die for!

DSC01844.jpg

Squirrels are rats with a nice coat. They can do an extreme amount of damage to your house inside and out, and think they are entitled to live inside. Older under 800fps in my experience usually mean more than one shot. I bought a Gamo (around 1000) and it works. If you feed them thet will move in not on.

So my girlfriend's mom wants to be able to shoot at some squirrels that go for the bird feeders in her back yard. Based on her location, it is quite obvious that she can't use a gun for this... too close to a road. What I was wondering was if an air rifle of some sort would do the job, and the legality of hunting squirrels with a rifle like that. Do you still need a hunting license of some sort for this, and do the seasons still apply?

Thanks in advance.

Decent air rifle with decent pellets (some are far more effective then others 'some' have found...) will do the trick, don't know about legality.

But you need to be 150' from a road and 500' from an occupied dwelling (unless you have the owner's permission). Those rules make it basically impossible to legally hunt in most suburban locations.

Are airguns included in those regs? I have not checked.

Very impressive...I'd rather use something that kills them instantly though.

There was something sadistically hilarious about the one he pinned to the tree.

Plus, shooting them with an air rifle isn't going to kill them right away, and will leave wounded animals to suffer and die

Uh, use an air rifle with the proper amount of power, learn to be ACCURATE with it and it WILL kill them deader than shit instantly. Either with a head shot or heart/lung shot.

[Kinda graphic. I'm new here so I hope this is allowed. If not, please delete my post.]

Here's a pic of what a high powered air rifle can do to tree rat. The guy is stll edible though.[smile]

23vc6k2.jpg

[Kinda graphic. I'm new here so I hope this is allowed. If not, please delete my post.]

Here's a pic of what a high powered air rifle can do to tree rat. The guy is stll edible though.[smile]

23vc6k2.jpg

Holy crap!! [shocked]

What caliber air rifle was that? Using one of those monster Dennis Quackenbush .50 cal rifles? My .177 and .22 cal rifles will drill cleanly through a squirrel, but they sure don't leave a hole like that!

Taking down a squirrel is similar to taking down any firearm:
1. Always point the anus in a safe direction.
2. To ensure squirrel is not loaded, squeeze stomach to expel contents through anus.
3. Remove left and right rear legs by swiftly pulling away from body with a counter-clockwise twist.
4. Remove left and right front legs in a similar fashion.
5. Quickly and forcefully compress both testicles. Eyes will pop out of their sockets.
6. Twist the head in a clockwise motion and pull.

To reassemble:
1. Never mind.

Close

Slingshots are illegal in MA

No, what is illegal is if someone manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or sells or exposes for sale a sling shot. (among other strange objects)
Per MGL chapter 269 section 12.

Once again, welcome to the insanity that is MA general law. [sad]

Holy crap!! [shocked]

What caliber air rifle was that? Using one of those monster Dennis Quackenbush .50 cal rifles? My .177 and .22 cal rifles will drill cleanly through a squirrel, but they sure don't leave a hole like that!
I wish I could remember which gun it was. I didn't shoot the squirrel. Probably was a DAQ 50 though, like you said.

John

On one of my jobs in Wayland I saw a squirrel that was black. I thought someone had painted it to see if it would come back when released in new locale, but they were every where. I have seen a bunch of them and it is the only area I have seen them. They are black as coal. If I find a roadkill I am going to have the skin tanned.[wink]

I saw a black one recently in MA. Black squirels are really common in Virginia. They just recently seemed to have migrated north.

As far as airgun, I would go for the highest mass pellet I could get. .177 pellets will not kill the critter unless you get a really well placed shot--not enought umph, and I hate to see critters suffer with a wound. More velocity will usually only mean the pellet goes straight thru the squirel and he limps off.

I once had a chipmunk strip the plastic insulation off the hot and return wire in some romex for a length of around 8". I figured it out when I threw a handful of plaster into a "mouse hole" and the plaster started to steam! Lucky I did not have a house fire.

Last edited:
I saw a black one recently in MA. Black squirels are really common in Virginia. They just recently seemed to have migrated north.

A momentary detour from the rodent killing theme:

HISTORY IN MASSACHUSETTS

The well-established colony of black-phase gray squirrels at the Stanley Park preserve in Westfield, Massachusetts, is thought to have descended from a pair of black-phase gray squirrels that were brought there from Michigan and released in 1948. It is likely that the melanistic squirrels seen in the Amherst, Southwick, and Springfield areas are related to the Westfield squirrels. Most people are so accustomed to the presence of gray squirrels that they barely notice them. It is startling to sight the uncommon form, the black-phase gray squirrel, and that awakens interest in the suburban wildlife around us.

http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/wildlife/index.php?subject=Mammals&id=21

First time we saw one on our deck, we thought it was a black cat.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Relocating wildlife is illegal in MA.

Christ, is anything legal in this state any more? You can't shoot 'em, you can sling shot 'em, and now you can find a new neighborhood for them any more.

I can't believe this is the same state in which Ted Williams used to pick pigeons off the Green Monster at Fenway Park with a .22 rifle back in the day and no one raised a stink. I swear this is moonbat central. [crying]

We had a few of the black squirrels on my street for a period of time, unfortunately we also have a very healthy: Turkey Vulture, Falcon and Owl population as well.

Although I am aware of a rabbit that cuts though my yard every night, same one I believe for the last 4 years, considering the survival rate out here, he's not shivering from the cold I'll tell ya.

I used to work 2 to 10 and I would come home and the same rabbit would run across the street in front of my car EVERY NIGHT. I named him the 10 o'clock bunny. Haven't seen him since I started working from home. [sad]

Taking down a squirrel is similar to taking down any firearm:
1. Always point the anus in a safe direction.
2. To ensure squirrel is not loaded, squeeze stomach to expel contents through anus.
3. Remove left and right rear legs by swiftly pulling away from body with a counter-clockwise twist.
4. Remove left and right front legs in a similar fashion.
5. Quickly and forcefully compress both testicles. Eyes will pop out of their sockets.
6. Twist the head in a clockwise motion and pull.

To reassemble:
1. Never mind.

Looks like we've started off another year of the Village Idiot's Imput!!!
Hey now! That sounds like a perfect thread topic! We'll start a thread asking my dad (The Village Idiot) his thoughts on topics and call it The Village Idiot's Imput. Anyone up for that idea?

Back
Top Bottom