Tailoring NRA basic pistol to the needs of a student

I have the opportunity to teach the course to a student who took the course back in 93 but needs a new certificate to apply for a non-resident Maine LTC. Going over every last bullet point in the material would bore both of us to tears, but it isn't an NRA course unless you have taught the material and done the exercises. How would you do the course in this situation?

Last edited:
If you are going to maintain NRA Training Standards, you must teach the NRA BP Outline, covering all of the topics without taking shortcuts.

If you want to liven it up, since you are a clever guy, you could do the entire course for your experienced student on the pistol range.

It could be lots of fun for both of you.

Darius

He is applying for a Maine non-resident permit.
Title 25: Part 5: Chpt. 252: §2003

* Copies of concealed firearms permits issued by other states.
* Copy of your DD214 form if you were a member of US armed forces.
* Copy of your birth certificate or INS document.
* Two color passport photos 2x2.
* Proof of knowledge of handgun safety. Accepted proof would be training by government law enforcement agency or private firearms assoc. recognized by Maine or state were instruction completed.
* *proof can be waived if you hold valid state permit since 4/15/90 or was/is in any Armed Forces of US and has received at least basic firearms training.
I am looking into whether that would qualify.

It's still not too late for your student to take the basic USPSA/IPSC course at Hopkinton (www.hsasports.com). As long as (s)he stays for the law part at the end, the course qualifies to the state certificate (course LTC-013)

It's still not too late for your student to take the basic USPSA/IPSC course at Hopkinton (www.hsasports.com). As long as (s)he stays for the law part at the end, the course qualifies to the state certificate (course LTC-013)
This is specifically for a non-resident permit in the state of Maine. LTC-013 sounds like the MA nomenclature for acceptable courses.

First, why does he need a new class? Won't ME accept the certificate from his previous course?

If ME wants a new course, call them up and ask if HFS would suffice. I suspect it would. That's a shorter course to teach than BP.

He needs a new class because they require the class be less then five years old of new applicants.
I just called the Maine state police and they said HFS would qualify. The women on the phone did not seem to recognize the course by name, she asked if it had a handgun component and that if it did it would qualify.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom