Tactical Comms Gear - Lets see what you're using

I'm bumping this up - I've got several sets of HT-750's - (6) units each - that will be for sale. These are UHF band and will come with the following:
Charger
Microphone
Radio
Battery
Programming to "talk" to one another.

PM if interested - Thx

Good bump. I have really dug into radio's since this thread was a thing and got my tech license. Sprocket, I don't mean to take away from your pitch, just adding to the conversation.

To reiterate something Sprocket said earlier in this thread, having 1 radio and no one else to talk to is pointless, especially if you have no way to program it. Have 2, or a friend that has one programmed to work with yours. Also, keep a channel list with the radio. That way if you hook up with someone that has a HAM radio, they can tune in to your channels and work with you.

Myself and 3 other buddies have Baofeng UV5R's, and for the money and potential use (or lack there of) these are the way to go. We have gotten together and worked with them out in the woods and on the range and they serve their purpose. For 50 bucks you can have a radio, decent PTT/remote mic, and upgraded antenna that can be "tactical" as well as be useful for talking over your local repeaters. If you break the radio (I kind of doubt you will) you can replace it for 27 dollars. If you realize your crew of friends are really switched on and want to go full ninja, you can spend the big money on good radios and accessories. If not, worst case you have a 2m/70cm ham radio kicking around.

Comms are something that is really hard to implement, you have to be into it. Everyone geeks out for about 30 minutes until they order everything on Amazon, then it all sits in a box doesn't get used because why use a radio if you are just standing next to someone? You really need to be able to get out in the woods or on a road trip and work with them. However, if you have a few friends that you would call in an OH SHIT! situation, it is something that would be very good to have and know how to use, maybe even establish a comm plan with them.

Last edited:
That's a good post Ed

I have been through the "let's get comms" talk with 2 different groups of friends over the last 2 years or so. It is just not that exciting for someone that isn't really into it in the first place and once they get the gear, they usually say "OK I got this thing, now what?" That is when it winds up sitting in the box in the bottom of a closet somewhere.

Sometimes the act of shopping for, and buying, cool shit is more exciting then the actual use of it.

Last edited:
I have been through the "let's get comms" talk with 2 different groups of friends over the last 2 years or so. It is just not that exciting for someone that isn't really into it in the first place and once they get the gear, they usually say "OK I got this thing, now what?" That is when it winds up sitting in the box in the bottom of a closet somewhere.

Sometimes the act of shopping for, and buying, cool shit is more exciting then the actual use of it.

I promise mine won't sit in a box.

It will sit in a plate carrier. [rofl]

So here is my new "tactical" comms rig. I picked everything up at HRO down in Salem as a late birthday gift to myself, and built the pig tail out of some scraps I dug out of a bin at work. It's RG8x and 50ohm BNC connectors.

FT-60R
PRYME SPM-2102 HD Speaker/Mic
Diamond BNCJ-SMAP SMA to BNC Adapter
Diamond RH77CA BNC dual band antenna
Coil Tube Earbud Audio Kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I0UA5E)

attachment.php

I built the pigtail short but made it so there was no sharp bends, then wrapped the exposed connector and 90* adapter at the base of the antenna in black wire tape because shiny chrome plating is not tactical. This gets me a 15" antenna that stays vertical with out poking me in the eye or getting in the way some how. I used a small piece of double sided velcro to wrap around the cable and secure it to a molle loop to keep the antenna from moving around.

I ran the remote mic up and over the shoulder and clipped to the top row of molle, then I plugged the mono earbud into it's audio output and ran the cable along the chest to the other shoulder strap, using my huge OAF IR 'Merican flag patch as cable management. With this set up I have full range of motion and my ear pro (currently Howard Leight's) go on as if the ear bud wasn't there, which is nice because I retain the sound amplification as apposed to plugging the audio out straight into the HL's (never mind dealing with the mono to stereo issue). This also allows me to use it as an open mic if I want by just unplugging the earbud.

On a PIG carrier, in a HSGI Small Radio pouch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With this setup I can reach back to the radio to adjust the volume and switch the channel with out having to look at it, which was my biggest gripe with the Baofeng's. Well, that and the terribly cheap accessories. Using BNC connectors is awesome because I can disconnect the radio and pull it out of the pouch, disconnect the antenna and pull it out of the back panel molle column, pop it on and use it as a regular radio real quick with out taking it all apart, leaving the pigtail in place.

I really like this setup, I threw it on over my jacket this evening and chatted over my local repeater with a friend in town and the radio worked as good as I expected it to, and the rest of the setup worked awesome. I am going to dig into the programming and build a few channel banks for different situations, locations, and groups of friends, which will make this rig about perfect for me. Now all I have to do is talk my crew of buddies into a solid range day/grown up man hunt in the woods and shake it out.

Attachments

• 20160228_185004.jpg
    20160228_185004.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 275
  • 20160228_193019.jpg
    20160228_193019.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 20160228_192915.jpg
    20160228_192915.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Nice write up Ed - I'll take one of those pigtails, seriously.

Let me know when we can get together and we can write your code plug. Did you get the factory cable?

I let the guy at HRO talk me into buying the cable and software. There was a few other things I was going to buy that he talked me out of, so I had some unspent money and I just can't leave a toy store with unspent moneys. Should be able to work something out over the next few weeks, let me unpack the bags, be nice to the wife for a few days, and I will get back to you on that. [wink]

Measure how long you need pigtail with a piece of string connector end to connector end, when I get back to the boat (next month) I will make one up.

I friggen love this radio, the more I use it the better it gets. Thank you for suggesting it.

First and foremost, you ought to have your ham license to operate these radios, and operating them outside the ham bands is illegal. This topic is beat to death all over the internet, use google if you have questions about this, it is not the point of this post.

A few dudes and myself were at the Excrutiololathon yesterday, and we used that opportunity to get on the air and run some comms and talk shit to each other. I was using my FT-60R with a remote mic and ear bud detailed in my earlier post in this thread, but everyone else was using UV5R's. Except 'Snacks, he is on a whole other level with comm gear and I don't know enough about it to comment. Yet [wink]. The guys using the UV5's were using these accessories and they worked very well.

BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=psdc_912322_t1_B008IYCQSO

Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-701 8-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna - http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Gen...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 Or Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna - http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Gen...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Retevis 2 Pin PTT Mic Covert Acoustic Tube In-ear Air Acoustic Earpiece Headset - http://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Acous...=UTF8&qid=1459689544&sr=8-8&keywords=uv5r+ptt

All 3 are Prime eligible and inexpensive.

The tube ear piece sits under your ear pro comfortable enough and if they are electronic, you still retain the ability to hear your surroundings. The Retevis PTT setup has good audio quality and the mic is pretty good considering the price. Someone was trying to interface their UV5R remote mic with a stereo cable to their electronic earpro and that doesn't work, the output on these radios is mono. Add to that, most electronic ear pro is stereo and you can see why it is so hard to make it work. On top of the compatibility issues of mono to stereo, I was also unable to find a remote mic that had a functioning audio out. Plenty of them have the jack for it, but I have 3 different models of mics and none of them worked with a mono out earbud. I spent a lot of time and a bit of money trying and all I have to show for it is a bin of UV5R accessories. An other benefit to the tube ear piece is you don't need to keep your ear pro on to be able to use it.

If you want to integrate the antenna to your carrier like I did pictured in this post:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...you-re-using?p=4916476&viewfull=1#post4916476

you will need a SMA extension cable. There are cheap ones that seem a bit fragile but work, like this:

20''/50cm Male to Female RP-SMA Extension Cable - http://www.amazon.com/50cm-Female-R.../B00MI9582G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459692559

I have used this cable when I had my carrier setup for a UV5R (I used the Retevis PTT listed above on my carrier), but like I said it seems fragile and probably doesn't work as well as using something like RG8x or something in LMR195. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can make your own like I did when I upgraded to the Yaesu radio. Youtube can teach you how to do anything.

For antennas, the short stubby ones work for UHF but are pretty much useless for VHF. I would say if you want to upgrade the antenna and intend to use it for VHF as well as UHF, go for the NA-701 at least.

As far as pouches go, the HSGI small radio pouch is cool, and rifle TACO's work well too. If/when I move to a commercial radio I will likely grab one of HSGI's radio TACO's, they are just too big for these handhelds.

Here is my modified TACO, my FT60R is a bit bigger then the UV5R so I clipped the wings.

attachment.php

I also clipped the plastic side wings on an old TACO to use it as a radio pouch. I am thinking about using some shock cord to make a bungee loop over the top for a little more retention if I find I need it. I think the HSGI radio taco will be too big for my radio choice, so this will do for now.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Something else I have been meaning to post is how I keep all of this stuff together. I have been using cheap IFAK pouches to organize and keep my accessories together. It also makes it easy to grab the pouch and toss it in my bag knowing I have all the stuff I need for the radio.

This is a Voodoo Tactical EMT Pouch that I use for my Yaesu VX7R bits and pieces.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Mens-Pouch-Coyote/dp/B003EGZEFS

I have the same setup for my FT-60R.

I also have a pouch for emergency power connection, simple tools, and a PVC tube I capped on one end and put a threaded plug on the other for storing antennas. I may do a "go bag" post at some point when I get around to putting it all together.

Attachments

• 20160403_110710.jpg
    20160403_110710.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 20160403_110754.jpg
    20160403_110754.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 180
I have the throat mic for the uv5r With the ear bud from amazon . 12-15$
Fits perfect under my ear muffs.

The ear bud audio sounds clearer then stock radio speaker or the handheld mic/speaker you can get .
Also the throat mic worked way better then the hand held unit my friend had . Didn't matter how loud I talked, it didn't get distorted on the receiving unit like the handheld unit .

I have the throat mic for the uv5r With the ear bud from amazon . 12-15$
Fits perfect under my ear muffs.

The ear bud audio sounds clearer then stock radio speaker or the handheld mic/speaker you can get .
Also the throat mic worked way better then the hand held unit my friend had . Didn't matter how loud I talked, it didn't get distorted on the receiving unit like the handheld unit .

Did you run with your headset yesterday? What ear bud you use?

Did you run with your headset yesterday? What ear bud you use?

No my gf was using my radio and my partner had his radio on his belt .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090...C_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=5uvr++throat++mic

Is the throat mic I have . The ear bud fits under my ear pro perfectly tho.
My ear pro is this .
7af7ff00a2d667534b5aeecd3245009d.jpg

It has a audio in , but I wasn't able to find a throat mic setup that had a audio jack setup.
But on the plus side I can use it with out my hearing pro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090...C_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=5uvr++throat++mic

My ear pro is this .

It has a audio in , but I wasn't able to find a throat mic setup that had a audio jack setup.
Thanks. Looks like a pretty cost effective way to set coms up.

My ear pro is this .

Go back and reread my post about interfacing radios with mono outputs into headsets with stereo inputs.

To be clear - can you use this headset as ear protection and add comms as needed via the jack?

I know a lot of folks use foamies in ear then add muffs so I'm not really sure what you mean exactly - please clarify, thanks.

To be clear - can you use this headset as ear protection and add comms as needed via the jack?

I know a lot of folks use foamies in ear then add muffs so I'm not really sure what you mean exactly - please clarify, thanks.

For the radio I had no. If I read ed's post he didn't have any luck finding any thing .
I don't wear plugs under my ear muffs ,so it's not a big deal.
I'm gonna buy anther throat mic and have a friend take it apart and see if he can mod it .

For the radio I had no. If I read ed's post he didn't have any luck finding any thing .
I don't wear plugs under my ear muffs ,so it's not a big deal.
I'm gonna buy anther throat mic and have a friend take it apart and see if he can mod it .

Depending on how your throat mic is made, its easy. You just need to find the audio wire, cut it, and splice in a 2 wire pig tail and solder a mono jack on the end of it. Problem is, like I said in my earlier post, most electronic ear pro are stereo, so it likely still wont work.

I do not have experience with comms
I do not have a HAM license
I wouldn't mind having some cheap radios around, lets say for camping, range trips, road trips. etc., Nothing too tacticool

So lets say I bought 4-5 UV5R's
How difficult would it be to program them all to the same channel to communicate?
Is it as simple as downloading some software on the computer and doing it that way?
Would I want a few channels in case someone else decides to use one we are already on?

I do not have experience with comms
I do not have a HAM license
I wouldn't mind having some cheap radios around, lets say for camping, range trips, road trips. etc., Nothing too tacticool

So lets say I bought 4-5 UV5R's
How difficult would it be to program them all to the same channel to communicate?
Is it as simple as downloading some software on the computer and doing it that way?
Would I want a few channels in case someone else decides to use one we are already on?

Short answer? Assuming you know what freqs you should and shouldn't use, just punch in the same freq on the keypad.

Programming isn't really required until you are looking at having a long channel list with repeater information and such. If you were so inclined to use the FRS/GMRS freqs and listen to your area repeaters, then you would want to use the programming software because using the keypads get tedious.

Last edited:
However, if you are just looking to be a casual user, bubble pack radios from Walmart would be a better choice. That way you don't accidentally step into the wrong freqs. They are cheaper as well.

Except 'Snacks, he is on a whole other level with comm gear and I don't know enough about it to comment. Yet [wink].

lol please, the gear is nothing, having the know-how to use it correctly past "turn it on" and "push to talk" is more important, something i have very little knowledge in.

my stuff is quite simple really, using a Motorola HT1000, Peltor FL5018-02 PTT, and a set of Peltor Comtac 3 headsets with boom mic.

radio sits in the side pocket of my cummerbund, PTT cabling routes around the back up to the PTT itself on the front.

comtacs mounted onto a team wendy bump helmet so it can all be used with nv, cable runs off the headset into the ptt and you're done.

Back
Top Bottom