• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tactical Comms Gear - Lets see what you're using

All srsnss though, after seeing your headset work, I may have to bump a set of Comtacs up on my priority level. The noise cancellation your boom mic has is amazing.

It was crazy standing next to people shooting rifles whispering info it and you being able to hear me clearly.

It was crazy standing next to people shooting rifles whispering info it and you being able to hear me clearly.

My current setup with the mic and ear bud works great until the gunshots start. The gunshots over drive the mic when I transmit and my shitty Howard Lieghts don't muffle enough of the shot to make it so I can hear from the ear bud.

Ugh, operating makes me broke.

My current setup with the mic and ear bud works great until the gunshots start. The gunshots over drive the mic when I transmit and my shitty Howard Lieghts don't muffle enough of the shot to make it so I can hear from the ear bud.

yeah, i was noticing that big time. the gunshots being so close totally hosed a lot of the transmissions to me anyway.

CAVCOM, bruh.

Just sayin'

Next level DIY dumpster diving welfare Comtac-ish headset project? ****ING SMART!

attachment.php

Next time, we wire up a PTT.

Details to follow. I was going to do a write up on this, but to be honest, it is way to involved and I drank to many beers while working on it. Anyone capable of doing this can figure it out for themselves.

This tread was my inspiration: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?184237-DIY-Comms-Headset and I found a busted headset intercom headset with a sweet noise cancelling boom mic in the trash.

Attachments

• 20160625_213718.jpg
    20160625_213718.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 242
I'm looking for an appropriate radio pouch - I saw Ed's modified taco for the FT-60 and that's great.

I have a radio that is closer to 1.5"Dx2.5"Wx5.5"H so a pouch with those internal dimensions plus retention of some sort is desired - molle mounting a plus, something under $25 each would be nice too. I was thinking a double mag taco or some similar mag pouch for double down service.

What are y'all using?

Oh and Ed - keep checking the trash for mic's !!

Last edited:
I'm looking for an appropriate radio pouch - I saw Ed's modified taco for the FT-60 and that's great.

I have a radio that is closer to 1.5"Dx2.5"Wx5.5"H so a pouch with those internal dimensions plus retention of some sort is desired - molle mounting a plus, something under $25 each would be nice too. I was thinking a double mag taco or some similar mag pouch for double down service.

What are y'all using?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/743738/military-surplus-communication-case-grade-1-acu-digital-camo

It's a little larger than your radio (and mine), but the price was right since I was ordering from Midway anyway. I'll probably be replacing it with a taco style pouch like Ed's once I get more familiar with the radio and stop looking at it all the time and get a mic for it, but for now it's fine.

743738.jpg

Last edited:

What are y'all using?

What model radio are you trying to house?

When I do go to a Moto HTxxx radio for my DARPing, I will probably shell out the money for a HSGI Comms TACO, but that is because I am an HSGI fag.

http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Multi-Access-Comm-TACO-MOLLE-p/hsg.716.htm

It runs about twice what you want to pay, so this post is useless to you, but I like bumping this thread. [smile]

mag pouch for double down service.

One thing I will add, I took a class recently and was stuffing an extra mag in that mod'd TACO in place of my radio for the firing exercises and without the plastic wings to keep it rigid, inserting mags one handed was very difficult. Once in, it worked as it should and pulling the mag felt similar except that you felt all of the bungee lines on the way out.

I've got a UV-82, zip tied to the cover of that case. It's a cheap solution for a radio you need to access the front of regularly - if I wasn't playing with the controls trying to figure out what it's doing, I'd get a more standard holster like that 5.11.

Well apparently I got bored last night while heavily drinking and ordered a HSGI Comms TACO. I suppose this is a better outcome then extreme shit posting here and getting banned. When I get home from this trip and have it in hand, I will make a post about it.

mmmmmm, this will look awesome on my PIG.

13129424_235855900119087_586378241_n.jpg

The only issue with that comms pouch is you have to watch out that the elastic don't change your channel when moving your arms around grabbing a mag or pointing your rifle

The only issue with that comms pouch is you have to watch out that the elastic don't change your channel when moving your arms around grabbing a mag or pointing your rifle

Why? If you lock the key pad, the only thing you'd have to worry about is the volume knob.

Ofcourse it has a lock, that's good. I been using old radios for years then because there are no channel locks on any radio I've ever used

I wasn't trying to be douchey, I legit couldn't remember why there may have been an issue. I have been working with my Yaesu's lately and have all of my UV-5R's in a drawer.

[cheers]

lol please, the gear is nothing, having the know-how to use it correctly past "turn it on" and "push to talk" is more important, something i have very little knowledge in.

my stuff is quite simple really, using a Motorola HT1000, Peltor FL5018-02 PTT, and a set of Peltor Comtac 3 headsets with boom mic.

radio sits in the side pocket of my cummerbund, PTT cabling routes around the back up to the PTT itself on the front.

comtacs mounted onto a team wendy bump helmet so it can all be used with nv, cable runs off the headset into the ptt and you're done.

I seriously need to be non-gayness bros with you....you're tacticool and I'm not sarcastic.

So there are a few things to consider:
If all you're looking for is license-free, squad level comms, then MURS (151.820-154.600Mhz) is pretty much the only service that you can use with non-blister pack radios.

If you go Motorola, you'll be limited to VHF only. For what you gain in durability, and possibly reliability, you will lose versatility (proprietary batteries, no field programming, single band) . Because I'm licensed, the UHF Motorola works well for me because I can use it on 70cm band as well as monitor local public safety frequencies. For MURS you would need to get a Moto HT in the VHF band, which would exclude the possibility of monitoring any public safety frequencies (most are UHF.)

Without a HAM license you can still pick up a traditional dual band (2m/70cm) HAM HT (Yaesu, Kenwood, Baofeng, etc) and use it for MURS, and monitor other useful frequencies if desired. Also if you ever did decide to get licensed, you would already have a radio that you're familiar with.

I find a lot of value in being able to monitor/scan frequencies of interest using my UHF Moto HT. If monitoring public safety frequencies isn't important to you then the VHF Motorola HT750/1000/1250 should be an easy decision.

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/multi-use-radio-service-murs-0
Where would be a good site to buy a UHF Moto HT set from, I've got two other buddies that might want to get setup with one and charger etc. Hunting season coming up, thanks.

My assumptions about the HSGI Comms TACO were correct, this thing is big.

attachment.php

Here it is with a HT750/1250 battery in front of it, it looks like it will be perfect for a radio that size. It will work for smaller radios, but it's like throwing a hot dog down a hall way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160806_113120.jpg
    20160806_113120.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20160806_113059.jpg
    20160806_113059.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 132
My assumptions about the HSGI Comms TACO were correct, this thing is big.

attachment.php

Here it is with a HT750/1250 battery in front of it, it looks like it will be perfect for a radio that size. It will work for smaller radios, but it's like throwing a hot dog down a hall way.

attachment.php

looks like it's made for MBITRs

Mom Biters!?
Youhavemyattention...

The radio pouch is large but looks effective for radios of a specific size - I've had the opportunity to use pouches made for specific models - Ya, no retro fit is practical - the thing above looks more versatile than most options.

Radios come in 3 sizes:
Small awkward
Med generic
Large specialized

Figure out your one and pack on.

Back
Top Bottom