swiss 7,5mm ammo

I received my Wolf Gold 7,5mm swiss ammo today and sure enough the cases are marked with the Prvi-Partizan letters and the box says Made in Serbia too. I guess that out sourcing has finally made it to Russia too. I wonder how much ammo really costs to manufacture when you can buy someone elses and put it in your box and sell it and still make a profit. It makes me wonder why the price of american made ammo is so high too. The winchester metric ammo is manufactured by Sellier & Bellot its just put in a winchester box. The swiss 7,5mm ammo was only $9 a box too.

BTW; My dad worked for Remington Arms when it was in Bridgeport,Ct. as a Repair Machinest and he would fix all the automated machines that manufactured bullets. He would tell me they pop bullets out like popcorn from forming the brass case to assembly it was some operation to watch. He worked there till they finally closed and moved down south. So were's the high cost we see in prices for automated mass production I don't understand it.

Last edited:
Its nice to know there will be an alternative once the GP surplus stuff runs out cause one day it will. But for now i'm stocking up on it like crazy when I get the chance.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Its nice to know there will be an alternative once the GP surplus stuff runs out cause one day it will. But for now i'm stocking up on it like crazy when I get the chance.
Privi or FNM are OK *IF* they shoot well. Otherwise, you just might as well reload. Are you aware that .284 Win. brass works just fine to make 7.5 Swiss brass. Even though the rim is a little small, it extracts OK in K31's.

I've taken the advice of many 7.5 veterans and have been sticking with the GP ammo. Everyone says for the price that its cheaper to shoot it than reload.

Right now I shoot a mix of ammo, military surplus, new affordable imported ammo and reloaded ammo. The military surplus ammo is running out as we speak the 7mm mauser is all gone and the 6,5mm swede mauser ammo is just about gone and the military surplus 8mm mauser has been a roller coaster ride with its availability latey too. Lets face it this surplus ammo won't last forever and once the surplus ammo is gone then we will see the supply of military guns runout too. Which has started already with the swede mausers and some others. Right now in the past year i purchased all my military caliber reloading dies from Midwayusa in the LEE Brand for handguns and rifles a few at a time. Its time to plan ahead and try to see the future and how are we going to survive without military surplus ammo?
I have used FNM in 7,5mm French and its awesome for $8 a box and its accurate too. I reloaded it too using LEE 7,5mm French dies too. I have also purchased new 7,5mm French brass from Grafs too. The yugo manufactured boxer primed brass is great for reloading too. I was shooting the Sellier & Bellot in 6,5mm swede with great accuracy too and again were talking $8 a box. Its boxer primed and good brass for reloading too. I like shooting the surplus ammo and wolf ammo inbetween so there is no reloading to do too plus its so affordable its cheaper than reloading. I'm sure in the future it could change too. I'm sure the older collectors/shooters can remember when the surplus 8mm was very expensive back in the late 80's if you could find any too. We sure have it really made now too but it won't last forever things do change.

BTW; I have heard "rumors" of the 7,62x39 ammo going to be $200 a case soon too. I hope its just silly rumors and it goes back to $59/1,000rds when we get flooded with it again. But on the other hand things do change and we must be ready for it too. Did you buy a set of 7,62x39 dies yet?

Some guys are reloading the berdan primed military cases too now its the high prices of new brass thats causing this to happen. Plus the military brass is better in some cases too.

This new imported ammo is of a decent quality and its very affordable too its cheaper than reloading. I just reloaded 6k of 308win. and it wasn't cheap either. The cheapest part of it was my $9 LEE 308win Dies. I used the FMJ surplus bullets too for plinking. And 6k rounds doesn't last too long too the last trip to the range we shot about 700rds.++ too. I have to say each round is exactly the same their all clones.

If your on the fence about getting into reloading I hope i got you really thinking now too. I think using all our resources right now is the way to go so we can shoot more for less. I started reloading back in the early 70's when a RCBS Rockchucker was $59 and the RCBS reloading accessory kit was $59 also and the die sets were cheap too. I haven't purchased anything else in 25+ years I never added any new calibers till recently. I got sticker shock at the RCBS dies too that started me looking at Lee dies and other Lee products to help speed things up faster. I found the LEE dies in 7,5mm French to be
half the price of RCBS dies and being on a fixed income(retied) that really matters. So far I found the LEE Dies to be as good as the RCBS dies while there a little different, on the seater die the crimp is still adjusted by lowering it until the desired crimp is achieved just like the RCBS dies so you don't need the LEE factory Crimp Die unless you want a factory crimp. I did purchased the LEE factory crimp die for my 308 to see if there is a difference between the crimps. After loading a 308win round by using the seater die to crimp it i found out the factory crimp die doesn't add anymore crimp and my crimp looked better than too using the seater die unless you want those four factory crimp marks and not a full circle crimp the choice is up to you at the extra cost of course. Trust me i'm not expert but again i have to get the most out of my dollar and still afford to go shooting/plinkin/hunting too. And yes i know everyone has to eat too but sometimes its a difference between a $10 box of ammo to a $25 a box for the same ammo. I try to buy on sales and clearances too my last good buy was russian made barnaul 30-06 FMJ for $1.99 a box of 20. We can save were we can if we shop around too.

I seen a guy at a local range shoot like 6 boxes of 30-06 fail safe ammo at the cost of $27 a box WOW that sure was an expensive outing?

I'm sorry for the long post but i understand you guys know what i'm trying to say ahead of time but i try to reach out to the ones who read only and don't post maybe we can get them involved and find out what there thinking about this too or get them thinking too if there on the fence or never thought about it. I just want to raise an awareness that we have options right now.

Last edited:
jhrosier said:
Privi or FNM are OK *IF* they shoot well. Otherwise, you just might as well reload. Are you aware that .284 Win. brass works just fine to make 7.5 Swiss brass. Even though the rim is a little small, it extracts OK in K31's.

Where do you get your 284win brass i have looked and looked for it everywhere lately too. I started buying new wolf gold 7,5mm swiss for $9 a box to get boxer primed reloadable brass. Finding Wolf or Prvi-Partizan swiss ammo is tough too.

I definitely hear ya about reloading, thats why I have boxes and boxes of brass and theyre labeled with what gun fired them, etc.

I find it rather odd we only see the new 7mm mauser ammo made by one ammo manufacturer only its Sellier & Bellot. I just found some Hansen ammo in 7mm mauser but i'm not sure how old it is and if hansen even still manufactues ammo today. It was made by Prvi-Partizan too they have the same head stamps as the Wolf Gold & FNM ammo too. I have been buying new 7mm mauser brass and reloading to have more 7mm ammo instock with 150gr winchester soft point bullets to hunt with too. I purchased some 7mm FN surplus military before it ranout too. I have one guy here who still has the
surplus FMJ swede 6,5mm m41b ammo too for $11 a box. Its expensive but i'd like to shoot it to see just how it compares to the sellier & bellot 6,5mm swede ammo. I'm shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100yds with my 1907 CG M96 swede mauser benchrested with iron sites. I wonder if the orginal swede sniper ammo will tighten the groups up even more. I'm hoping to see her shoot 1" groups with iron sites. I was lucky to stash a 50cal ammo can of it away. have too much experience with the 6,5mm and 7mm mausers yet. But they are a hoot to shoot with very little recoil as we get older less recoil is better on my old battered body. I've shot my '06 & my 338win mag most of my shooting days and i'm starting to like the semi-auto's more lately too we can shoot more with less punishment. But thats another story.

Last edited:
BigBill said:
Where do you get your 284win brass i have looked and looked for it everywhere lately too. I started buying new wolf gold 7,5mm swiss for $9 a box to get boxer primed reloadable brass. Finding Wolf or Prvi-Partizan swiss ammo is tough too.

BigBill,
I picked up Winchester, bulk packed brass from a gunshow vendor last year. You might try Wholesale Hunter (online), they seem to have a pretty good selection.
Jack

Thanks guys for the info. With the surplus ammo in some calibers running out more as we speak we need to adjust and get ready to find other ways to get ammo either cheaper new ammo or reloading so we can continue to enjoy shooting/plinkin with these military surplus treasures. I think its time to shift gears and get more into reloading. I have been buying a little at a time recently, mainly reloading dies in all my military calibers.

I picked up a used LEE PRO 1,000 setup for 45acp but i haven't used it yet. It was with a whole bunch of reloading stuff too. Down the road i was thinking of getting a LEE PRO 1000 for the 7,62x39 and the .223rem too if the supply gets that bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom