svt40

southshoresig

NES Member
Hi everyone,
I know someone with a russian svt40 for sale, but i dont know much about them. What should I look for and what's their value? Are they reliable, accurate shooters? Are the mags hard to get?
Thanks for any info,
Pete

Bore condition is number 1 to look for. Then the gas system. Make sure the adjustment is free. Check the wood over for cracks and splits. Arsenal stock repairs are common and nothing to worry about.
Reliable and accurate, yes. Mags, about $100-$125 for an original if you can find one, repros are cheaper but may not feed.
Depending on condition, arsenal, and whether Finn marked, they can run anywhere $500 to +$1,000.

I agree with what JonJ said. Also, its common for part numbers to be missmatched. Finding one all matching thats in good condition is a rarity. Some have grooves on the receiver for a scope mount.

I have one. Sweet shooter, a little heavy especially when mag is loaded. Very, Very accurate.
9130SVT3.jpg

Original mags impossible to find. Repros that I've seen going for $100-$150.

Ok what i know about the svt-40's is;

"Orginal condition SVT-40" (not a refurb)
I found most gas systems are corroded/pitted. You can purchase the new/used gas system parts from numrich gun parts. But you may receive the same pitted parts like it already has.

"the refurb" SVT-40(its been refurbed/rebuilt)
You getting a newer/better condition svt-40, the gas system is new if the gun was taken care of by its previous owner.

So its which one you want or what condition it is?

I also purchased 4 new svt-40 mags from numrich too and 3 of them went right in and locked up and functioned properly and one i had to fit so it would lockup, once it locked up it functioned properly too. I'm finding out that some of these semi-auto's can be mag finiky too with my egyptian hakims(4) some mags aren't interchangable, meaning only the orginal mag fits that one gun. Some of my other orginal mags won't lockup in the other hakims.(just food for thought) These's no sure thing sometimes with mags thats my point. If it don't fit we must make it fit and make it work. We C&R owners and collectors must become gunsmiths too in time.

Check out the latest Shotgun News for a long article about the SVT-40. Even though it's a little too detailed, and the author generally trashes the rifle (compared to the M-1 Garand), it still provides some interesting background.

But screw him - I still love the damn thing!

Hey, when are we going to have that SVT-40 shoot!???

Last weeks Shotgun News had an article on the SVT 40. If you want to PM me with your address and I can find it, I'll mail it to you. It might serve as a good start for info.

Gary

All the SVT40's that I shot over the years were stone cold reliable and accurate. Love the muzzle brake. Very effective. Great round too. Buy it, you'll love it.

only $100-$150???? [shocked]

Ok I need one now!

I'm pretty sure that's just for a mag.

If I can find one for ~$600 (pipe dream) I'll be all over it. Maybe I'll get lucky at the Marlboro show with my C&R? [smile]

Oh ya, that's for a mag only. If you can find one in good condition for $600, you'd seriously have to consider grabbing it. I've seen a couple listed in the last week and the asking prices were $800-$900.

I passed on one at the October Springfield show for $900.00. It was in very nice shape. Manchester and Marlboro are coming up soon so maybe you'll find something there.

Oh ya, that's for a mag only. If you can find one in good condition for $600, you'd seriously have to consider grabbing it. I've seen a couple listed in the last week and the asking prices were $800-$900.

Oh well...that DOES make more sence. I don't want it to, tho!

Back
Top Bottom