SVT40 question

Soxfan9

NES Member
I have an SVT40 arriving tommorow, a C&R purchase. When filling out the FA10, is this considered a "large capacity" rifle?

The SVT-40 was designed for and equipped from the factory with a 10 round mag.
The SVT-40 is not a large cap rifle.

ENJOY! They are a lot of fun to shoot, and usually get a bunch of "what the hell is that thing" looks from the folks on the range.

Just be prepared for the sticker shock if you try to add a bayonet - ouch! I found one on ebay after months of searching, and felt myself fortunate to ONLY pay $180 for it. I think about how much ammo or how many additional milsurps I could have bought for that price, but... I only needed one.

Does it come with a sling? If not, I find the one used for the ppsh41 machinegun (canvas with leather at both ends) works pretty well, and can be found pretty easily.

So far, my gun has consumed surplus and commercial with no problems.

9130SVT1.jpg

This is a 1941 Tula without the scope rail. Fun to shoot!

ENJOY! They are a lot of fun to shoot, and usually get a bunch of "what the hell is that thing" looks from the folks on the range.

Just be prepared for the sticker shock if you try to add a bayonet - ouch! I found one on ebay after months of searching, and felt myself fortunate to ONLY pay $180 for it. I think about how much ammo or how many additional milsurps I could have bought for that price, but... I only needed one.

Does it come with a sling? If not, I find the one used for the ppsh41 machinegun (canvas with leather at both ends) works pretty well, and can be found pretty easily.

So far, my gun has consumed surplus and commercial with no problems.

The bayonet will have to wait, I have seen them around in the $200 area. $180 is pretty good. It did not come with a sling, but I have a M44 or PPSH leather sling that I will put on there for now. I will get some pics up in the next couple days.

Village Idiot - nice rifles, I now have the same pair. The PU sniper is a new favorite of mine to shoot.

5cb99d37.jpg

My SVT40 on the left next to my Hakim. Thanks to Ken (USMA-82) for giving me a heads up on the seller at a small shop in Mass. I've seen them go for $100-$200 more than what I paid $600 plus change.
I have one of the PPSH style slings on mine and have a few more kicking around. They've been listed as Mosin Nagant M44 slings but I think they look just plain wrong on an M44.
I only shoot non corrosive ammo in mine (same with the Hakim) because take down and gas tube cleaning is kind of a PITA compared to an SKS or AK.

M4M:

Don't forget I kindly walked away from the Hakim at the Marlboro show so you could swoop on that, too!

Why do they always look so damn much better after you're through with them?!!!

For the $250 the Hakim was going for I'm surprised I didn't have to fend you off with a pointy stick. [laugh] I like to think I saved you from lots of explaining to the Mrs. since you already had one.

As for them looking better... maybe they're just glowing with happiness to be with someone who loves them so much. [smile]

Last edited:
I had 6 hakims at one time mainly because they were cheap. I still only shoot one at a time anyway. I purchased one hakim that was at the big e gun show for over a year. I felt bad for the awesome gun just sitting there now it has 3 other freinds to keep it company too. You have to have more than one at that low price there's no excuse for not buying it at $250?

The SVT-40 is nothing but a long sks that shoots the 7,62x54r round. It feels and handles the same as an sks. Just remember to adjust the gas valve to your ammo and line up the scribe marks perfectly or it won't cycle/function because the gas port holes are very small.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom