SVT-40's

NES Member
These guns are super cool, but the prices are through the roof. Any chance that we'll see them coming around in bulk at a better price?

I don't see the prices dropping. If anything they'll stay high or get even higher. Russia has thousands of SVT40s but we'll never see them thanks to the importation crap we still deal with.
Someone on the Parallax forums described the situation, here's the link:
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...reference-why-SVT-40-s-can-t-be-imported.html

$600 is a good deal these days for one and they can still be found for this price if you look hard enough, or have Ken (USMA-82) find one for you like he did for me. [smile]
$700 and $800 is the average norm for a really nice example, I wouldn't pay higher than that. Hell, anymore $ and you might as well go for a German Gewher 43.[thinking]

I still take a look at the SVT-40 prices every once in a while while surfing gunbroker or auctionarms. The ones under $800 are few and far between, and not usually in very good shape. With this particular model, I doubt you'll se a major importation anytime soon, and in the near future you'll WISH you had snapped one up when they were still under $1000.

By the way, I'm still working on finding your Vz-52 and the Rasheed, Ray.....

You're already spending my money on the Auction Arms VZ listing.

Its BJs fault for posting this thread and making me think semi autos... I'm looking at G43s now. I may have to sell an organ or two.[laugh]

You're already spending my money on the Auction Arms VZ listing.

Its BJs fault for posting this thread and making me think semi autos... I'm looking at G43s now. I may have to sell an organ or two.[laugh]

Hey milsurps, I think Bron in Sturbridge had a VZ52 the last time I was there.

I still take a look at the SVT-40 prices every once in a while while surfing gunbroker or auctionarms. The ones under $800 are few and far between, and not usually in very good shape. With this particular model, I doubt you'll se a major importation anytime soon, and in the near future you'll WISH you had snapped one up when they were still under $1000.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25146

I drove by Bron's today. Would have stopped if it wasn't late afternoon. I might head back tomorrow if he's open, since I live close by. I got the paperwork in for the C&R lisence today, so I'm gonna have to start lookin to see what I like. Any suggestions on a first milsurp?

I drove by Bron's today. Would have stopped if it wasn't late afternoon. I might head back tomorrow if he's open, since I live close by. I got the paperwork in for the C&R lisence today, so I'm gonna have to start lookin to see what I like. Any suggestions on a first milsurp?

Just remember, when you do get your C&R, you're no longer limited to purchases at local shops, where you eat their mark-up too. Don't get me wrong, I still buy from shops when the deal is right, along with accessories, ammo, etc. But the C&R opens the door to the rest of the country, including wholesale dealers.

So you can buy that Mosin 91/30 for $199 at a local gun show, or $159 at a local gun shop... or buy it over the phone with your C&R for $69 + shipping. Your choice.

And while everyone should have a 91/30 and M44 in the safe, you might look at some of the other milsurps that are getting scarce - Swiss K31's for example. Do some research on the model you have some interest in, and find out how many were made. Better to grab something now where only 100,000 were ever produced (and where it will continue to appreciate in price) than something that was made in the multi-millions, and will be in the surplus market (at a real nice price) for some time to come.

Every once-in-a-while, you come across a Finnish Rifle that someone mistakenly identifies as a plain old Russian Mosin Nagant, and you scoop it up for 1/3 to 1/4 the actual value.

U.S. Milsurps are generally more expensive than the equivalent foreign ones. But prices will continue to climb either way. There are still some good deals on foreign semi-automatic rifles, like the Belgian FN-49, and the French MAS 49/56.

A lot of good info can be found here, as well as www.surplusrifle.com and www.gunboards.com - Enjoy!

This one's for you BJ

BWSVT.jpg

I was screwing around today early evening taking some pictures. I'll take a few better ones when the light is brighter but for now this should help wet your appetite for an SVT40.[wink]

Don't you remember the tables full of '41 johnsons and G43 & 98k sniper rifles @ the springfield gun show a few years back? The 41's were only $1,400 and the german sniper rifles were around $750 to $1,000. If we only knew back then? The last time i seen a 41 it was $4,000......

I purchased a russian svt40 there for $650 a few years ago there too. It was the only one at the gun show. While i paid a tad too much it was a refurb that was unshot. There was no bullet case wear ring mark on the bolt face. I found out later it would single shot only too. Then not getting too upset i found gunboards and read about the svt40. You need to have the scribed lines on the gas adjustment exactly lined up or it won't cycle. Upon disassembly for a G.I. cleaning I also found the gas ports to be very small plus i found the gas system to be in brand new condition too. Which confirmed my feeling it was an unshot refurb. These are a great shooter...

You just have to stay looking at the springfield gun show. Some shows there are many svt40's, egy hakims and fn49's and at some shows there are none, you just have to stay going and looking.

Back
Top Bottom