survival study: water

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
This week's weather crisis in Texas is heartbreaking, especially since it led to a power and water crisis. When it comes to power and generators, most of us are anywhere from familiar to exceptionally prepared. But this is a good opportunity to think hard about water preparedness as well. Most Texans never imagined they would be in this situation and are struggling, literally dying. Last year I made a project out of water preparedness. Here are the things I learned. Please add to or correct as needed so we can avoid bad outcomes.

Water's such a basic physiologic need that we can only survive a few days without it. Municipal water comes from a reservoir, dirt cheap because it's subsidized, and couldn't be more convenient coming on-demand from multiple taps in your home... unless your water supply becomes compromised. And convenience leads to complacency. So what details should we consider?

Requirements
  1. FEMA says people need one gallon of water day.
  2. Others estimate two or more. That's for consumption and hygiene.
  3. When was the last time you needed less than anticipated of anything? Plan on the generous side.

Multiple compromise scenarios.
  1. Biologic contamination. Microbes will make you sick.
    1. Boiling will kill the contaminants but consumes significant fuel and time. Possibly also requires ventilation depending on the heat source. Electricity might not be available, but electricity is also one of the most inefficient forms of heat anyway.
    2. A filter, preferably gravity with a reservoir so it can work passively for large volumes.
  2. Non-biologic contamination.
    1. Unlike relatively delicate microbial life, toxic chemicals might not "boil out" (break down into safe compounds). They require a high-quality filter or a different water source.
    2. May seem unlikely, but contamination could result from a major industrial accident or just one nefarious actor with a pickup truck and a barrel of chemicals who pulls up to the unguarded public reservoir. Either way, we've seen many examples and most never considered contamination that could not be boiled out.
  3. Supply disruption.
    1. Frozen pipes, construction accident, earthquake, pumping station malfunction, mismanagement, etc.
    2. Any supply compromise could last an extended period.
    3. Filters and generators alone cannot cover this scenario unless you have natural water near your property. But remember lakes and streams can run dry or freeze, and transporting water becomes a full-time job.
    4. If a widespread supply disruption occurs, assume every store for miles will sell out of bottled water within a few hours. You could waste significant time scrambling with nothing to show for it. Or even if you find a source, dealing with rationed sales and the panicked masses can be dangerous.
  4. Going mobile ("bug out").
    1. If an adverse event requires you to leave home, your dependence on water comes with you.
    2. It might not be you who has a water compromise but a family member a short drive away. Some solutions lend themselves to transit better than others.
One solution cannot fit all. Texans are currently dealing with both #1 and #3 at the same time.

Recommendation 1: get a water filter.

Residential units like the Berkey are great for even daily use. Pros: large capacity, passive gravity function. Cons: hard to transport.

41NB+gF1GQL._AC_SY355_.jpg

LifeStraws (the original) are advertised for survival situations. Pros: compact and mobile. Cons: require suction, require having your face close to water source, no reservoir (how do you clean dishes or bathe?). They built other models as a response to those concerns. The original is still pretty limited application.

CIAj8Teb9L_lifestraw_lifestraw_personal_water_filter_0_original.jpg Lifestraw_Community011-19_large.jpg

Backpacker gravity filter with reservoir. Some sell entire kits. Ideally have both clean and dirty bags, an inline filter, a bottle adapter, and a clamp to pause flow. This is the one I assembled for $100 with the best components I could find. CNOC bags and Sawyer Mini filters in particular are way ahead of the competition.

IMG_1790 2.JPG IMG_1789 2.JPG Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 5.03.39 AM.png

Recommendation 2: have a personal reservoir.

Could be as simple as a few cases of bottled water. Pro: easy, cheap, convenient, divisible, mobile, low-profile and unobtrusive. Con: small quantities for things like hygiene, cannot easily refill/reuse containers, cost adds up for large quantities.

bottledwater.jpg

Large reservoirs like these (link) are built for emergencies. More common in rural areas that are self-reliant but you could have one in the city just as well. Light weight when empty. Pros: large capacity, best value in price per gallon, many models stackable. Cons: big, extremely heavy (only store on concrete), no mobility, one valve failure at the bottom leaks all the contents. By the way, your home's hot water tank is basically the same thing. You might already have 40-80gal in a reservoir ready to tap in an emergency.

emergency_watertank180.jpg

Another interesting idea is the WaterBOB. Storm coming? Throw this bladder in the bathtub and fill with water. Pros: big capacity, no permanent footprint, inexpensive. Cons: no mobility, still requires active preparation (what if water supply is already lost/contaminated?), stops anyone from using tub/shower during your just-in-case-let's-prepare period. I'd pass. If you have it, don't let it be all you have.

waterbob-emergency-water-storage-container-tub-filled.jpg

A middle ground is a 1-5 gallon emergency container. Tons on the market, some soft/flexible and others rigid/stackable. Remember, water weighs 8lbs per gallon, so a stack of tanks puts a lot of pressure on seals (personal account later). Also keep in mind the strength of all potential users. I prefer a 3-gal/24-lb container to be sure anyone can lift it. Wire handles like the WaterBrick have a reputation for breaking. The AquaBrick's handle is ideal, molded into the container. Many of these models have their own variant lids with a valve installed or their own filter/pump attachment so you can scoop and treat dirty water.

07-1000x1000_900x.jpg WB_July_2016_Low_Res_066__63922.1592072070.500.750.jpg aqua-filter_1800x1800.jpg

My experience. Wanted more mobility than a big reservoir. You might need freedom to bug out, but even taking a tank camping or moving it to the other side of the garage would be impossible, and the end user might be a family member across town. Went with AquaBrick for max versatility and two carry handles. Price at that time (Apr 2020) was roughly 3x as much for the same volume as a single tank. WaterBrick's wire handles were no-go for potential to break. The shape looks convenient for stacking but was actually useless for a few reasons, and not just for OCD kids raised on Legos.

IMG_1787 2.JPG IMG_1786 2.JPG IMG_1850.JPG

First issue, they lean. Stacking either in pairs with 90-degree turns or single-stack in same orientation, after 5-10 stacks they would lean far enough to fall over if bumped. Staggered allowed more than single-stack. Turns out the walls are plenty rigid when moving/handling and even small stacks, but they compress under weight and are not completely flat -- the lean is always away from the longitudinal handle, so single-stack are all leaning in one direction while staggered stack are half-leaning in two directions. I wanted to stack over 6ft high, so neither works unless you have them leaning against a wall, which I specifically did not want so I could recognize if a leak developed.

Second issue, the silicone ring seal inside these caps look impressive, but they perform inconsistently. Threading is pretty high-quality (though I found one big piece of blue plastic shavings inside a few). Placing the cap on, you feel a smooth light resistance as you tighten giving way to gentle increased pressure as you reach the silicone ring. A little tighter and you're good. Most times. Overtighten and you're no good most times since the silicone pinches to the side and creates a break in the seal, obviously invisible to the user but there's an immediate leak when turned on its side. But even sealing looser sometimes leaks so under just gravity weight of the water inside. Add the weight of a stack on top and the pressure frequently gives way.

So I got halfway stacking 96 of these things single-file before some on the bottom started leaking under the weight. Wanted them single-file so I could see all the caps and know if one was leaking, and a puddle forming on concrete made it obvious which stack to look at. So I unstacked and retightened. And did it again with same results. So I unstacked and loosened with same results. I decided to try an array of 90-degree staggered stacks to see if distributing weight differently helped, but no. Thought I had gotten the seal pressure perfect until I stacked all 96, no more than 8 high in a stack, and the following morning a huge puddle. After breaking down the stack again I realized it was one second from the top that had leaked 2 of its 3 gallons, not even bearing much weight on top. On inspection the silicone seal and plastic rim were no different. There's just a statistical risk of them not sealing perfectly, and I'd never feel confident with them on their side in any arrangement. So after eight hours of moving these things across two days, here's the way that left me without worry.

IMG_2995.JPG

Stacked upright, weight applied axially, 3x3 plywood distributing it evenly across the caps, 4x6x4 arrangement.The caps are actually angled when the tank sits like this (see photos above), so there's a slight shear force on them this way. But they lock up so tightly and are constructed so rigidly that they seem to tolerate it just fine, and it's spread across 24. And with no fluid resting at the seal, a microscopic gap is no issue.

While disappointed that intended stackable design didn't pan out, I wouldn't do it any differently if starting over or expanding. This setup still allows a personal reservoir, always ready rather than requiring me to anticipate need, small footprint, mobility/divisibility, two integrated handles that won't break, good seal from elements, and rigid/safe storage as opposed to something that might break or fall over. I usually have four ratchet straps going around like belts for even more stability, but this photo was taken while it sat in a temporary location. Specifically this enough for two adults and two kids under age 5 (3 gal/day pre adult, 1.5 gal/day per kid) for 32 days. Each of 96 tanks treated with 7mL of Aquamira 2-part chlorine dioxide, about $100 total in chemicals, for a 5-year shelf life.

Yet another area where I proposed something that looks pretty eccentric but my wife's response was, "If you think so. I trust you." What a woman. Less than one year later, what would some Texans give to have this in their garage next to a generator today? Even if they had the ability to boil water, a filter or personal supply would make things much easier. Now's a chance to think about their situation and plan for the best outcomes. Any additions or corrections appreciated.

We always fill the tub with water if there's a storm coming + a 5 gallon bucket or two. Losing power = no well pump

Water bottles on hand for a couple days worth of potable water as well

this is a great thread to start. My town has a epically bad water problem, brown water and chemicals in it. I have a whole house filter, which needs to be changed every 3 months, I'm not referring to the instructions which give it 6 months to a year, I'm talking about actual need.. I've tried the Berkey, I was never thrilled with the water quality coming out the other end.

For hygiene, you don’t really need potable water. You could get away with semi clean water like melted snow or a stream and a bar of soap.

For drinking, everyone who is of the prepped mentality should have a quality filter. Life straws are fine for a back pack, but you shouldn’t cheap out on your main filter. Buy once, cry once.

We always fill the tub with water if there's a storm coming + a 5 gallon bucket or two. Losing power = no well pump

Water bottles on hand for a couple days worth of potable water as well
Google water bob. It’s a plastic bag thing for your tub. Fills from the faucet and comes with a cap and a pump. Holds about 40 gallon I believe

Recommendation 2: have a personal reservoir.

Could be as simple as a few cases of bottled water. Pro: easy, cheap, convenient, divisible, mobile, low-profile and unobtrusive. Con: small quantities for things like hygiene, cannot easily refill/reuse containers, cost adds up for large quantities.

View attachment 451667

Large reservoirs like these (link) are built for emergencies. More common in rural areas that are self-reliant but you could have one in the city just as well. Light weight when empty. Pros: large capacity, best value in price per gallon, many models stackable. Cons: big, extremely heavy (only store on concrete), no mobility, one valve failure at the bottom leaks all the contents. By the way, your home's hot water tank is basically the same thing. You might already have 40-80gal in a reservoir ready to tap in an emergency.

View attachment 451668

Another interesting idea is the WaterBOB. Storm coming? Throw this bladder in the bathtub and fill with water. Pros: big capacity, no permanent footprint, inexpensive. Cons: no mobility, still requires active preparation (what if water supply is already lost/contaminated?), stops anyone from using tub/shower during your just-in-case-let's-prepare period. I'd pass. If you have it, don't let it be all you have.

View attachment 451669

A middle ground is a 1-5 gallon emergency container. Tons on the market, some soft/flexible and others rigid/stackable. Remember, water weighs 8lbs per gallon, so a stack of tanks puts a lot of pressure on seals (personal account later). Also keep in mind the strength of all potential users. I prefer a 3-gal/24-lb container to be sure anyone can lift it. Wire handles like the WaterBrick have a reputation for breaking. The AquaBrick's handle is ideal, molded into the container. Many of these models have their own variant lids with a valve installed or their own filter/pump attachment so you can scoop and treat dirty water.

View attachment 451674 View attachment 451675 View attachment 451676

My experience. Wanted more mobility than a big reservoir. You might need freedom to bug out, but even taking a tank camping or moving it to the other side of the garage would be impossible, and the end user might be a family member across town. Went with AquaBrick for max versatility and two carry handles. Price at that time (Apr 2020) was roughly 3x as much for the same volume as a single tank. WaterBrick's wire handles were no-go for potential to break. The shape looks convenient for stacking but was actually useless for a few reasons, and not just for OCD kids raised on Legos.

View attachment 451670 View attachment 451671 View attachment 451672

First issue, they lean. Stacking either in pairs with 90-degree turns or single-stack in same orientation, after 5-10 stacks they would lean far enough to fall over if bumped. Staggered allowed more than single-stack. Turns out the walls are plenty rigid when moving/handling and even small stacks, but they compress under weight and are not completely flat -- the lean is always away from the longitudinal handle, so single-stack are all leaning in one direction while staggered stack are half-leaning in two directions. I wanted to stack over 6ft high, so neither works unless you have them leaning against a wall, which I specifically did not want so I could recognize if a leak developed.

Second issue, the silicone ring seal inside these caps look impressive, but they perform inconsistently. Threading is pretty high-quality (though I found one big piece of blue plastic shavings inside a few). Placing the cap on, you feel a smooth light resistance as you tighten giving way to gentle increased pressure as you reach the silicone ring. A little tighter and you're good. Most times. Overtighten and you're no good most times since the silicone pinches to the side and creates a break in the seal, obviously invisible to the user but there's an immediate leak when turned on its side. But even sealing looser sometimes leaks so under just gravity weight of the water inside. Add the weight of a stack on top and the pressure frequently gives way.

So I got halfway stacking 96 of these things single-file before some on the bottom started leaking under the weight. Wanted them single-file so I could see all the caps and know if one was leaking, and a puddle forming on concrete made it obvious which stack to look at. So I unstacked and retightened. And did it again with same results. So I unstacked and loosened with same results. I decided to try an array of 90-degree staggered stacks to see if distributing weight differently helped, but no. Thought I had gotten the seal pressure perfect until I stacked all 96, no more than 8 high in a stack, and the following morning a huge puddle. After breaking down the stack again I realized it was one second from the top that had leaked 2 of its 3 gallons, not even bearing much weight on top. On inspection the silicone seal and plastic rim were no different. There's just a statistical risk of them not sealing perfectly, and I'd never feel confident with them on their side in any arrangement. So after eight hours of moving these things across two days, here's the way that left me without worry.

View attachment 451673

Stacked upright, weight applied axially, 3x3 plywood distributing it evenly across the caps, 4x6x4 arrangement.The caps are actually angled when the tank sits like this (see photos above), so there's a slight shear force on them this way. But they lock up so tightly and are constructed so rigidly that they seem to tolerate it just fine, and it's spread across 24. And with no fluid resting at the seal, a microscopic gap is no issue.

While disappointed that intended stackable design didn't pan out, I wouldn't do it any differently if starting over or expanding. This setup still allows a personal reservoir, always ready rather than requiring me to anticipate need, small footprint, mobility/divisibility, two integrated handles that won't break, good seal from elements, and rigid/safe storage as opposed to something that might break or fall over. I usually have four ratchet straps going around like belts for even more stability, but this photo was taken while it sat in a temporary location. Specifically this enough for two adults and two kids under age 5 (3 gal/day pre adult, 1.5 gal/day per kid) for 32 days. Each of 96 tanks treated with 7mL of Aquamira 2-part chlorine dioxide, about $100 total in chemicals, for a 5-year shelf life.

Yet another area where I proposed something that looks pretty eccentric but my wife's response was, "If you think so. I trust you." What a woman. Less than one year later, what would some Texans give to have this in their garage next to a generator today? Even if they had the ability to boil water, a filter or personal supply would make things much easier. Now's a chance to think about their situation and plan for the best outcomes. Any additions or corrections appreciated.
Have you done a taste test on that water after sitting in those containers for some time? Curious if they impart a plastic taste...

Have you done a taste test on that water after sitting in those containers for some time? Curious if they impart a plastic taste...

We cracked one open after four months of storage while someone was doing bathroom work and had to shut off the water main for a few hours. Faint chlorine taste, otherwise fine. I'll be interested to see what it's like after a few years.

Multi-faceted approach here.
We're on city water, so we have the possibility of it going down if something upstream breaks.
Given that -
1) Cases of bottled water in the garage; estimated enough drinking water for at least two months.
2) (4) 5gallon jerry cans of potable water, with bleach in it, for cooking.
3) Life straws for personal use, (in garage and in vehicles).
4) (2) water filtration systems, (in case one breaks), that use 5 gallon buckets as raw and filtered.
5) A waterbob for one of the upstairs tubs, (for drinking/cooking water)

It's all based on a lifetime of "have a plan - have a backup plan". We lived in New England for years, winter storms would occasionally shut things down. We live in Georgia now, hurricanes can shut things down here. The stove is propane - there's a 100# tank outside - we didn't want to be without a stove/oven if we lost electricity.

There's a generator in the garage, there are multiple cans of gas for it. There's food on the shelves, water as described. We have portable heaters, both electric and propane - and we have spare tanks of propane, both the tiny camping ones and the larger 20# tanks.

If electricity goes out, I can run the fridge, freezers and my wife's coffee machine from the generator. We can cook on the stove, we have an outside grill, and I've got a propane camping grill. If it goes on too long, and I'm worried about propane, we can cook on the fire pit - there's plenty of wood already cut and I have the tools to cut more.

If it gets obscenely cold, we can break out the camping gear. The down bags zip together and we'd be more than toasty sleeping in them.

In a nod to green, i've got solar chargers for battery packs that I can then charge small electronic devices on. Mine's in my truck with my spare phone that lives in a Farraday cage bag. Always have a plan b.

Great post. A multi-pronged approach is always the best. Add to your list of portable gear a Steripen UV light device. Also have bleach on hand at home. All you need is something like 5-6 drops per gallon.

One thing I would think is obvious up here, but a lot of Texans were not ready for, if it is single digits and you do not know when the power will be back on, turn off your main and drain the system as much as you can. Catch the water for drinking if possible.

I know several people who will be ripping out ceilings and doing a lot of work once things warm up down there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6zmIX8MA8

This is what I did with filters such as these.

Amazon product ASIN B00B9RGPDEView: https://www.amazon.com/Propur-ProOne-G2-0-7-Pair/dp/B00B9RGPDE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2YA4HZB4VM281&dchild=1&keywords=propur+water+filter&qid=1613655368&sprefix=propu%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-2

-price on these is quite a bit more than what I had paid last year.

Ceramic similar to the nice hiking filters with activated carbon inside.
I used 7 gal food grade buckets instead of 5 gal.
Tasteless water is the result from filtering water from the tap.

It then goes into 5 gal stackables. Add a tap and the whole 5gals goes in the fridge. Rotate to the next stackable. Rinse/repeat.

Sediment filters are also easy to set up and might be a good pre-filter for dirty water before hitting the bucket.

Here is something to keep in mind. If your storing your water long term in a vessel, keep in mind that there is bacteria that’s in your tap water (it’s just low enough that it’s safe to consume) if left unchecked it will multiply in your bottle and become non potable over time.

Also plastic does in fact “breathe” if your storing your water next to your gas cans over time the gas permeates the bottle and absorbed by the water.
Your water should be stored in a stable temperature area, out of direct sunlight, away from other chemicals and rotated constantly.
So many people store their water in “jugs” and then let them sit for eternity. You should be using water from the jug and cleaning then refilling.

Great thread, @Brewer .

I'll go into more detail later but folks need to use caution on what water filter they select. Sorry, but unless the water is already very pure the filters such as Life Straws are barely above gadget functionality.

I'm a 100% bug in type, with a generator and well. However I have done multiple 2 week wilderness treks- two of them in drought conditions out west.

Great post. A multi-pronged approach is always the best. Add to your list of portable gear a Steripen UV light device. Also have bleach on hand at home. All you need is something like 5-6 drops per gallon.

Keep in mind that bleach loses potency over time.

I started buying cases of water when they were cheap. I'd store them in old cat litter buckets which stack nicely and have handles if you need to move them. Downside is the water picks up some of the "flavor". Who cares, when you're thirsty you'll drink it.

Next up is gallon jugs. Keep a few of those around for cooking.

Go from there.

I like the layered approach because honestly most of us will never need it, and it gives you options depending on the emergency. The biggest emergencies I've had so far were when I was working in the basement and didn't feel like walking upstairs, so I grabbed a bottle from the bucket.

We cracked one open after four months of storage while someone was doing bathroom work and had to shut off the water main for a few hours. Faint chlorine taste, otherwise fine. I'll be interested to see what it's like after a few years.
You should really use them/rotate thru. Leaving them for a couple years not a good idea. Stuff grows in water. I work with ultra purified water, and shit starts growing in it, sometimes a few days, sometimes weeks.
I'm talking RODI and WFI (google it) transferred into steam sterilized or irradiated containers. It still grows. Your using tapwater into a rinsed out conatiner?
You can filter it or boil it when you use it, but you can mitigate the need to do it if the water in the container is a few months, rather than years.
The plastic does leach into it whether heated or not. It gets less over time.

You should really use them/rotate thru. Leaving them for a couple years not a good idea. Stuff grows in water. I work with ultra purified water, and shit starts growing in it, sometimes a few days, sometimes weeks.
I'm talking RODI and WFI (google it) transferred into steam sterilized or irradiated containers. It still grows. Your using tapwater into a rinsed out conatiner?
You can filter it or boil it when you use it, but you can mitigate the need to do it if the water in the container is a few months, rather than years.
The plastic does leach into it whether heated or not. It gets less over time.

Each of 96 tanks treated with 7mL of Aquamira 2-part chlorine dioxide, about $100 total in chemicals, for a 5-year shelf life.

Missed the Chorine.
You should spike it with flouride too, I don't think there will be reliable dental care in a SHTF scenario.
Extraction may become the default dental solution.

Great topic. It amazes me how many people are completely unprepared for even the smallest thing, let alone major disasters. We have many cases of bottled water which we rotate by dating them. We are on town water, but we also have an old drilled well which is accessible from the basement. The well was probably abandoned when they ran water down the street. Long before my time. I bought a well bucket to get the water out, and a Berkey to filter it. It will be a PITA if I ever have to use it, but it beats not having water.
Well Bucket.jpg .

Great topic. It amazes me how many people are completely unprepared for even the smallest thing, let alone major disasters. We have many cases of bottled water which we rotate by dating them. We are on town water, but we also have an old drilled well which is accessible from the basement. The well was probably abandoned when they ran water down the street. Long before my time. I bought a well bucket to get the water out, and a Berkey to filter it. It will be a PITA if I ever have to use it, but it beats not having water.
View attachment 451776 .
100% agree. It took COVID for friends of mine to finally appreciate the importance of keeping a supply of food/water/etc on hand. There is almost no reason anyone can't keep a 7 day supply of water.

Great topic and look forward to learning more

We usually keep 5-10 gallons of distilled water in the house and rotate - shelf life seems to be pretty long and no issues 1-2 years later

Need to stock out some water purifying solutions (filters/chemical) - we have a swimming pool and a river close by that could provide long term solutions (but a little more difficult in the winter...)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6zmIX8MA8

This is what I did with filters such as these.

Amazon product ASIN B00B9RGPDEView: https://www.amazon.com/Propur-ProOne-G2-0-7-Pair/dp/B00B9RGPDE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2YA4HZB4VM281&dchild=1&keywords=propur+water+filter&qid=1613655368&sprefix=propu%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-2

-price on these is quite a bit more than what I had paid last year.

Ceramic similar to the nice hiking filters with activated carbon inside.
I used 7 gal food grade buckets instead of 5 gal.
Tasteless water is the result from filtering water from the tap.

It then goes into 5 gal stackables. Add a tap and the whole 5gals goes in the fridge. Rotate to the next stackable. Rinse/repeat.

Sediment filters are also easy to set up and might be a good pre-filter for dirty water before hitting the bucket.

This. I built mine for under $50. PLus, Sawyer water filters are 10x better than Lifestraw Water Filtration | Sawyer Products | Sawyer Products

Semi related... Usgi ponchos are excellent for rain water collection. I use a grail for mobil water filtration.

1613674223220.png

Back
Top Bottom