• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Rifle?

No not like the survival knife with fishing gear in the handle.

I mean to go along with the whole "Survival" theme. I have been thinking about an "All Purpose" rifle. Something that looks mean, shoots great and could be used for both personal defense as well as the possibilty of hunting if the situation arose.

I am talking...Bugging out, grabbing one rifle and some pistols and ammo and run...Not taking your gunsafe with you....What one rifle would it be?

So here is a list of criteria that I think is important...Let me know what you think would be important or what you have/feel meets the criteria...

* Accuracy - Needed for both protection and the possibility of needing to hunt (I am talking for hunting for survival not sport, I have a hunting rifle).

* Dependability - Your staking your life on this rifle. Cleaning & repair supplies may be limited.

* Weight - You may have to hoof it for a while...You don't want to be carrying a tank around with you.

Ok, so....Thoughts??

Are you talking a SHTF scenario where it's everyman for himself or TEOTWAWKI situation where you would be fighting off invaders?

Trying to stay alive where you have to be totally self reliant is one thing, trying to stay alive because in a world where bad guys are trying to kill you and you are trying to overcome them is another.

Different uses for different weapons.

Are you talking a SHTF scenario where it's everyman for himself or TEOTWAWKI situation where you would be fighting off invaders?

Trying to stay alive where you have to be totally self reliant is one thing, trying to stay alive because in a world where bad guys are trying to kill you and you are trying to overcome them is another.

Different uses for different weapons.

snip...grabbing one rifle...snip

Only one long gun...

It'd be my AK47:

ac05a966-1.jpg

Reliable, accurate enough, light and compact, easy to use and work on, and built to last and function in any climate, plus tools are in the butt stock. Hard to argue with a rifle thats still in service to this day after being created so long ago.

Assuming the Jericho factor, I'd probably use my sks or my M1 carbine.

I love the M1 carbine, light, accurate, easy on the shoulder, packs a pretty good wallop. I have sufficient ammo in bandoleers and stripper clips to go.

The SKS is a great gun, and it has 2 advantages over the carbine.... no magazines and more 'wammo' power. I also have sufficient ammo in bandoleers and stripper clips for it.

The M1 carbine is the one I shoot the best...that's why the indecision.

Reloading empty mags can get you killed, stripper clips load REAL fast.

The M1 carbine is the one I shoot the best.

I'd have a hard time deciding which to take. The only reason I didn't mention my AK is that it has big mags which always seem to need reloading and I can't shoot it as well as the other two.

Ok so feelings on something like this from Four Seasons?

DPMS Panther Arms AP4 Carbine with MA legal features....
INTRODUCTORY SPECIAL: $875 cash, check or debit

So how hard are these to work on? I have shot plenty of rifles but I have not used one of these before. I mean I am sure I could shoot it but taking apart and working on it...while I am sure I could I never have...

What about a Mini-14 or a Mini-30?

from what I have read (mind you I don't own one) they are easy to maintain, accurate, light and you can have them in either .223 or 7.62 NATO

Ok so feelings on something like this from Four Seasons?

DPMS Panther Arms AP4 Carbine with MA legal features....
INTRODUCTORY SPECIAL: $875 cash, check or debit

So how hard are these to work on? I have shot plenty of rifles but I have not used one of these before. I mean I am sure I could shoot it but taking apart and working on it...while I am sure I could I never have...

They are very easy to work on. You can do pretty much everything you need to, outside of changing the barrel, front sight base & stock, with a few drift punches. No tools to field strip.

CD

What about a Mini-14 or a Mini-30?

from what I have read (mind you I don't own one) they are easy to maintain, accurate, light and you can have them in either .223 or 7.62 NATO

My Mini14 isn't as accurate as my AK47 plus the Minis can be finicky when they want to. Another +1 for the AK is when slung over your shoulder you can get a near full auto fire rate by bump firing. Granted its hard to control but with some practice you can get decent accuracy at close ranges and spray.

As for the Jericho thing, I've never seen the show either. I have a hard time getting into prime time network tv shows.

Best bet here is an AR of some type. I'd recommend several. Long barrel, short barrel, flat-tops, carry handles, optics, iron sights. The beauty of the AR is that it is a system. Owning several allows you to use good parts from a damaged weapon to service or repair another. Don't forget lots of magazines and plenty of ammo. I'm stockpiling some Wolf .223 "just in case". Yeah its dirty, but its real cheap and if SHF I'll likely have some down time to keep my weapons clean anyway.

Chris

Even though I don't watch Jericho, I'll play. The SKS, since I don't own an AK. Or, the SMLE No 4 MKII. I'm limiting it to rifles I own.

Jeff Cooper had the concept of the Scout Rifle, which IIRC, was designed for situations like this. Bolt action, bipod, carbine length, scope. .308 calibre.

You could make one out of a M-N M38 or a SMLE No 5. If you wanted a semi, I think an SKS would be a good starting point.

Gary

I've been considering the Kel-Tec Sub200, .40S&W.
It's about ugly enough to be convincing and quite portable at 4 lbs and 16" folded.
Shares mags with most common pistols.
Could be suitable for urban settings and foraging.
It's been around for a while and has many favorable reviews.
Kel-Tec_SUB2000.jpg

Last edited:
It's about ugly enough to be convincing and quite portable at 4 lbs and 16" folded.
Shares mags with most common pistols.
Could be suitable for urban settings and foraging.
It's been around for a while and has many favorable reviews.
Kel-Tec_SUB2000.jpg

Massnee has one for sale here on the Classifieds.

If you have Comcast you can watch all the past episodes on "On Demand"

Unfortunately they only have a few weeks worth. After hearing y'all talk about it I went to check it out and the oldest episode is when they come out after the rain.

Put another way, a "Red Dawn" scenario. Go WOLVERINES!

-= chuck

Reminds of the pistol carbines:
CCU-Glock650.jpg

Never shot one. Don't know what its energy or accuracy is down range 100 - 200 yards. Would solve the age old problem of ammo commonality between your pistol and rifle.

-= chuck

Back
Top Bottom