Surf Fishing??

The canal? The thing is lined with lead and mono, much of it MINE.

I stopped fishing the canal as I was afraid I was going to be cited for polluting
the damn place with lead and stainless wire. I never caught a damn thing there
except other peoples wire and leader. I couldn't even catch their lead to replace
the ones I lost.

TBP

My problem at the canal is that I know I should be drifting big jigs on braid, but I always end up bringing my distance casting setup with a zingamajig and not catching, just casting.

Anyone remember that show that used to come on late at night, I think it was called Sportfishing the Northeast with a guy name Mike Alperin? I used to like watching that show because he went to all local Mass fishing spots, both fresh and salt water.
I remember one show where he was on Martha's Vineyard surf casting for bluefish using a Jitterbug and lite tackle. Definitely looked like fun.
I haven't been fishing in years and used to go every chance I got. Since shooting took over my free time, all my gear has collected dust.

Anyone remember that show that used to come on late at night, I think it was called Sportfishing the Northeast with a guy name Mike Alperin? I used to like watching that show because he went to all local Mass fishing spots, both fresh and salt water.
I remember one show where he was on Martha's Vineyard surf casting for bluefish using a Jitterbug and lite tackle. Definitely looked like fun.
I haven't been fishing in years and used to go every chance I got. Since shooting took over my free time, all my gear has collected dust.

I don't have a lot of free time either...

Shooting is mine. My girls are too young to take to the range...don't get me wrong...they've been to the club.....the fishng derby and christmas party and such but they don't like loud noises....so shooting is all mine right now. I yell a lot around the house so I'm hoping the noise thing isn't an issue pretty soon..lol

But there would be no time for fishing if I didn't make a slight adjustment in my schedule.....all it took was two 6 foot Ugly Stiks.....one with a Penn 4500ss and one with a Penn 450 ssg reel. Loaded them with pink 25lb. mono, gave one to each of my daughter's and we were off. LMAO!!!!

No problem finding time for fishing now. The girls love the boat and the beach and are psyched they have their own fishing rods.

Not bad little set ups for a 2 and a 4 year old....[smile]

So now in the "summer time" "daddy time" means "fishing time"!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 15' 3-piece rod but find myself using my 9' or 11' rods way more often. The extra length seems to require a lot of practice to get the distance out of it. IMO it's kind of a pain in the ass.

Bonz...

I have a 15' 3-piece rod but find myself using my 9' or 11' rods way more often. The extra length seems to require a lot of practice to get the distance out of it. IMO it's kind of a pain in the ass.

Bonz...

On that 15', do you get a lot more distance that you notice as opposed to the 11'?

Not really. But a guy I fish with can cast like a bastard with his. He's been using his for years though. To me, it was a wasted expense.

Bonz...

Well, based on what you said and a few other people I've spoken with I'm looking at an 10' 6" Ugly Stik. It's a heavy action rod so it will take a lure weight between 2 and 12 oz. Cabella's has one listed for $100.00. I'll find one cheaper if I decide to go that route.

What are your thoughts on this rod? Too heavy??? Should I stick with a medium weight? What are your thoughts?

My opinion is TOO heavy. But, it depends on what you're going to do with it? I use a light to medium action rod, with 20lb FireWire or SpiderWire. I generally toss 2-6 oz. plugs or live eels. I use a medium action for bait fishing at the canal with 30lb.

Bonz....

Well, depending on where I am fishing, the surf can be very heavy. I have nice 4oz weights but with a double sand eel rig loaded it can be heavy. So I can easily be casting 8oz. or more if I have to go to a 6oz. weight because of heavy surf. Add that to the bait and it doesn't take much to exceed the reccomended lure weight.

So, in your opinion I should sitck with a medium?

Oh, I know...I'm ready for them now but I want another set up so I can work two on the beaches. [smile]

right now I just have the 12' and a 7' plugging rod. So if I have two I can put out two baits at varying distances (long and short) and still have the plugging rod.

it sure is. I hit Red Top last week and picked up some sand eel rigs, flounder hoods and spreaders. At the Mass Bass Show at Gillette I picked up a couple Roberts Bombers and a custom lure from BigFish Bait Co. out of Hanover. I'll order more from him if this works well...

Just replenishing stuff I lost last year. I got a deal on the Roberts. I got two 2 1/4 oz, i red/white and one orange and one 3 oz red and white for $10.00. They usually run 6 or 7 bucks a piece. Couldn't pass that up....

Wow you guys really use the heavers with 10'+ rods. I just make do with my 7' ugly. Granted I can't lob a bait as far out as you guys but I feel that in the canal, you really don't need to chuck it out that far unless you see them breaking in the middle. All the fish I caught were less than 30' out from shore. I fish mostly nights for stripers and blues so that may be the difference.

I also find that I tend to snap off lures or fling off eels if the rod is more than 9ft. I may be putting too much uumph into it though.

I like to catch stripers but prefer to eat seabass, fluke, bluefish, tog and scup in that order. Got some monster seabass in the past few years right in buzz bay. Some 5lb+ slobs just on strips of squid. Deelicious!!

I used to fish Watch Hill (RI) for years with my best friend. We got some really nice stripers off the end. We used whole squid or top water plugs. I've upgraded to a nearshore boat, so I haven't fished off the beach in a while.

Daceman,
Take a look at the Tica line of surf rods. They're well made and inexpensive.
If you're using spinning, take a look at the Daiwa Emblem Pro reels. They cast really far and are also not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom