Surf Fishing??

Any surfishers out there? I am thinking about getting back into it this year. Maybe get a sticker for my Jeep, hit the beach and do some surf fishing.

Its been a while, where are the good places to go now? What are people using? Plugs? Cut bait? Which beach area is best? CC National seashore? Sandy Neck?

I go to the cape. I use sand eels down ther ebut clams and squid also work weel as does cut mackeral....

I prefer the sand eeels on a sand eel rig. It's a high -low rig with nice triagular surf weights....

I fish Wellfleet, Eastham and P-Town.

I used to take my truck out to race point and I might do it again this year. That was always fun...

I mostly fish the night tides now with the kids and all so I can use the parking lots aftet 5 at the ocean beaches in Wellfleet...

say hello to the seals! everytime i fished the outer cape this year there would be 2 seals set up on me within minutes. even if they stay far enough off so you can hook into a striper or blue, they'll strip it off your hook before you can land it. I fish a lot and the outer cape is out of my rotation until something happens to correct the seal explosion. not worth the gas and sticker money to me these days. there are better places to fish.

well, until it becomes legal to slaughter the seals I don't expect much is going to happen....Use heavier line and reel faster or fish the bayside....

Everytime I scoped the oceanside this year I saw them too....

I wouldn't hold my breath that something will be done to eliminate them now....

Ok, so by bayside we are talking like the Sandy Neck area? Where are the "Better" places to fish you speak of? I am always looking to expand my horizons...

My biggest striper was 44"L and 30 Lbs, caught off the Squantum Flats beach
just across the Neponset River from the painted gas tank in Boston. Sat aft,
outgoing tide, took me about 45 minutes to land him (using 25 Lb line). I love
surf fishing! Even if I don't catch anything, just soaking up the quiet on the
beach is worth every moment. Oh yeah, caught him on cut Pogy.

TBP

Big_Fish1.jpg

My biggest striper was 44"L and 30 Lbs, caught off the Squantum Flats beach
just across the Neponset River from the painted gas tank in Boston. Sat aft,
outgoing tide, took me about 45 minutes to land him (using 25 Lb line). I love
surf fishing! Even if I don't catch anything, just soaking up the quiet on the
beach is worth every moment. Oh yeah, caught him on cut Pogy.

TBP

Big_Fish1.jpg

Nice fish!!!!!

That's a great place to fish. I've done well there with chunk mackeral. I usually fish 2 before to 2 after the high there...usually with good results. I like the heavy line too...

well, until it becomes legal to slaughter the seals I don't expect much is going to happen....Use heavier line and reel faster or fish the bayside....

Everytime I scoped the oceanside this year I saw them too....

I wouldn't hold my breath that something will be done to eliminate them now....

i'm hoping for a virus or some great whites. nature is seriously out of wack in regard to the seals and hopefully a correction is coming.

nice fish BP! I fish the harbor the most, taken som nice fish in the Quincy area.

i'm hoping for a virus or some great whites. nature is seriously out of wack in regard to the seals and hopefully a correction is coming.

Nature isn't out of wack. The fishing industry is. The Great Whites are already here.
Two years ago I was fishing monomoy with my wife. She apparently didn't hear the captain of the shuttle boat saying that there was a 20 foot Great White loitering in the area of the cut between the island. The cut was only about 50 feet across to the sandbar where the seals were laying in the sand.
My wife was trying to wade the cut as close as possible to the seals so that she could take a picture. She fell in, and soaked her digital camera. She was upset about the camera and didn't tell me about it because it was a gift from me. Well, the camera came back to life after a few days, and then she told me about it. I then told her about what she didn't hear about the big fish.
She's been surrouded by a group of big seals before, and I've been hassled by then while fishing. They will swim right up to you within a few feet. It's a bit scary when you are wading 500 feet from shore and they swim right up to you. they're enormous animals.

SnowJoker,
Since you live in Taunton, you might know that the lower Taunton river is excellent fishing for striped bass.

You're in an ideal area for fishing. everything is a short drive from you.

A couple good places for you to inqure, are at the Bear's Den in Taunton and at CMS enterprises in Fall River. The first is an excellent flyfishing store, and the second is an excellent surf fishing store that sells their own custom rods and rodbuilding supplies.

Last edited:
I disagree. Removing one of the seals top predators thru legislation helped them re-colonize monomy and tuckernuck islands. there may be a few great whites around but not enough to control the population explosion. i've seen the seals spread from chatham are, all the way up to p-town. this year they were in the harbor and down the inside of eastham forgaing for food. they've decimated the inshore ground fish populations and have to travel further for food. I've seen them in the CCC too.

they're hurting the fishing industry, both rec and commercial. I don't think that just because they are cute that they should cost us millions in lost revenues and the loss of groundfish stocks that may never come back if we just allow the seals to eat themselves into population control by wiping out their own food source.

that's not responsible resource management IMHO.

I disagree. Removing one of the seals top predators thru legislation helped them re-colonize monomy and tuckernuck islands. there may be a few great whites around but not enough to control the population explosion. i've seen the seals spread from chatham are, all the way up to p-town. this year they were in the harbor and down the inside of eastham forgaing for food. they've decimated the inshore ground fish populations and have to travel further for food. I've seen them in the CCC too.

they're hurting the fishing industry, both rec and commercial. I don't think that just because they are cute that they should cost us millions in lost revenues and the loss of groundfish stocks that may never come back if we just allow the seals to eat themselves into population control by wiping out their own food source.

that's not responsible resource management IMHO.

They are also taking refuge in Boston Harbor. they have several at the dorchester yacht club that won't go away....and they are nasty...not cute...

I'd love to get back into it!!!!

Lynn marsh rd (Lynn) ./ Monument beach ( Marbelhead)./ & a note!!!! Plum Island CAN BE VERRY TOUGH!!!! Its the strongest current in N. America (but in a bout.... its as Hot as it can get. (GET A KNOWLAGEABLE CAPT) WELL wortht it. Hotest river in the N.East !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nauset Beach is a lot of fun to drive along and fish.It's a beautiful sandy outer beach with surfable waves. It has it's own bayside.I think the biggest Mass. striper was caught here in about 78.The plovers are a bigger problem for off-roading than seals.
Bruce
Cape Cod

Yeah, I know all about the plovers...They should spray paint them all Hunter orange when they hatch, then they won't be a problem anymore...

I think I'm going to buy a new surf rig pretty soon. Right now I only have a 12" Skakespeare Alpha BWS 512-2M. It's a medium weight rod. I paid $35.00 umpteen years ago. I picked up from the natick outdoor store way back when a Silstar RXB80 M Baitfeeder reel and loaded it with 25lb mono. I think I remember paying $85.00 for the reel. It's a nice little set up but I'm itching for something new. The mass bass association fishing show I think is the wekeend of the 17th next month at Gillette Stadium. I'm going.

http://www.msba.net/main/

March 17th, 2007 - 2007 MSBA Annual Sportfishing Expo

March 18th, 2007 - 2007 MSBA Annual Sportfishing Expo

I don't know if I'll get a bigger rig...I'm pretty sure I will but I also think I want to pick up a 10' set up as well as my plugging rod isn't the greatest if fish are hitting on top.

I love fishing...I have to cause I don't catch much but I love doing it.

I guess it would be boring if you caught them all the time, but I'd like to be that bored once in a while...lol
No kidding. I don't dare figure out the tackle cost per pound for the fish that I've caught. I'm sure buying lobster would be far, far cheaper.

No kidding. I don't dare figure out the tackle cost per pound for the fish that I've caught. I'm sure buying lobster would be far, far cheaper.

Oh I know it...If you don't want to spend lots of money on tackle don't fish the canal...lol....You can lose $30.00 a trip in there easliy.

The cape is fairly forgiving though....mostly sandy bottom so not that bad, but my firends and I lost a fair shares worth there anyway...nothing like bottom jigging with steel line and have it snap because of a kink or a bad pull and you watch 200' of steel with the jig go away really fast.....what a sinking feeling....lol

I use lead and tube& worm upi here in Boston when on the boat.

The cape we beach fish and boat fish. We have lots of fun....

Well, I'm off to the boat show in about an hour. But here is a good link for you surf fishermen if you don't already have it....

www.saltwatertides.com

It's easy to use and it covers tons of areas as tide is important to surf fishing....

Hope it helps you all out this year.

Back
Top Bottom