• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court decides on hearing DC gun ban - November 09, 2007

Kar98 Sniper

Banned
On November 9, the U.S. Supreme Court will consider the petition for the District of Columbia v. Heller (formerly known as Parker) case. We should learn within days whether or not the Court will decide to review the case. Presuming they choose to hear it, the case could possibly be heard in early 2008. If the Court refuses to hear the case, the lower court’s decision, which struck down the D.C. gun ban as unconstitutional, will stand.

Last edited:
My guess is that the court will not hear it, as doing so will leave the Parker decision intact but not impose a binding precedent on state level gun bans since the issue of "state regulation" was not included in the Parker case as DC is not a state.

My guess is that the court will not hear it, as doing so will leave the Parker decision intact but not impose a binding precedent on state level gun bans since the issue of "state regulation" was not included in the Parker case as DC is not a state.

[angry] damn you and your smooth logic. I fear you may be right... [thinking] course if they hear it it could get overturned?

the big issue is that if they refuse to hear it, it then upholds the decision for D.C. that would not necessarily effect the rest of the USA.

This would be the typical, cowardice way the USSC handles things but refusing to get involved and making no real change in the world what so ever.

This is unfortunate too, because there is a very strong chace that they would rule in favor of upholding the lower court ruling, but but the USSC upholding that ruling it would effect the nation as a whole.

Again, by refusing to hear it, it only effects D.C.

Which is basically the same thing Rob just said... only i felt the need to add my .02 [smile]

This would be the typical, cowardice way the USSC handles things but refusing to get involved and making no real change in the world what so ever.

??

Brown v. Board of Education
Gideon v. Wainwright
Miranda v. Arizona
Roe v. Wade

Among many others.

The problem with the Parker case is that there is a clear disconnect between the "desired" outcome many in power, including no doubt some Scotus judges, would like to see and what intellectually honest debate would conclude that the constitution requires. Given the choice between a ruling that changes social policy in a way that they do not wish to see, and ruling inconsistently with the constitution, the only way they can win the game is to not play.

??

Brown v. Board of Education
Gideon v. Wainwright
Miranda v. Arizona
Roe v. Wade

Among many others.

and when was the most recent of those cases? sorry I should ahve said the modern day USSC. they have refused many cases like the pledge in public schools for starters simply to avoid getting involved.

I think they have also dumped off may firearms related cases in the past, again, to avoid getting involved.

Back
Top Bottom