• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court Bitch slaps Obama and Recess appts.

It appears that "Barry the Commie's" appointees are turning against him. Yeah I know that they are supposed to be independent, but in the past they were very partisan.

SCOTUS appointees rarely go the way their original supporters expect/want. Once appointed they are not answerable to anyone, for life. All leverage is gone. Presumably this is a good thing.

Martha's Bad Week Continues

This was a suit over the "Buffer Zone" law at abortion clinics. SCOTUS ruled 9-0 that the MA law establishing buffer zones around abortion clinics violates the First Amendment, especially since other states have addressed the issue with less draconian laws and ordinances.

Given the vital First Amendment interests at stake, it is not enough for Massachusetts simply to say that other approaches have not worked.

* * * Petitioners wish to converse with their fellow citizens about an important subject on the public streets and sidewalks—sites that have hosted discussions about the issues of the day throughout history. Respondents assertundeniably significant interests in maintaining publicsafety on those same streets and sidewalks, as well as in preserving access to adjacent healthcare facilities. But here the Commonwealth has pursued those interests by the extreme step of closing a substantial portion of a traditional public forum to all speakers. It has done so without seriously addressing the problem through alternatives that leave the forum open for its time-honored purposes. The Commonwealth may not do that consistent with theFirst Amendment. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the FirstCircuit is reversed, and the case is remanded for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.
It is so ordered

Looks like that 2013 Supreme Court thread might have been closed a bit too early.

No decision on Hobby Lobby, though.

I would expect the result to be that the NLRB will grind to a halt, the positions and decisions vacated. More litigation will be the result. Anything that ties up King Obama I is good.

Besides the union hacks like Craig Becker he put on the labor board, he put the head of the terrible consumer financial board on through the recess appointment too. So I would expect he would be removed from the position (with the senate changes to the filibuster, they can put him back on) and the decision there to be vacated too.

The decisions from SCOTUS are usually divided up fairly equally. On another site, the court watchers said they expect the last two big cases, Hobby lobby (obamacare forcing employers to pay for abortions) to be written by Roberts and Alito writing the Quin case, the case out of Illinois where the state of illinois is forcing home healthcare workers to pay union dues even though the person they care for is their mentally ill daughter or son.

Roberts was always good until the obamacare disgrace. So I'm not 100% firm on where he'll go but to me the forced abortion coverage is clearly a violation of a persons religious rights. If he does strike that part down, the left will go bananas. There are still DC circuit of appeals cases about obamacare being a tax and not starting in the house and that the obamacare subsidies can only go to an exchange set up by a state as it says in the law.

Alito is conservative and i think he smacks the unions down which, depending on how broad will have implications for public unions in other ways. The unions and left will go bananas.

Which one's the Supreme Court Bitch?

Kagan probably... Ginsberg couldn't muster the strength, and Sotomayor probably still likes him.

Sotomayor is the most liberal and rarely will buck the lib's she counts herself as one of. She waited in line to get Hillary to autograph Hillary's new book at a costco in dc last week (not kidding at all). The book is tanking but Sonia just loves her a good statist like Hillary.

Besides the union hacks like Craig Becker he put on the labor board, he put the head of the terrible consumer financial board on through the recess appointment too. So I would expect he would be removed from the position (with the senate changes to the filibuster, they can put him back on) and the decision there to be vacated too.

The decisions from SCOTUS are usually divided up fairly equally. On another site, the court watchers said they expect the last two big cases, Hobby lobby (obamacare forcing employers to pay for abortions) to be written by Roberts and Alito writing the Quin case, the case out of Illinois where the state of illinois is forcing home healthcare workers to pay union dues even though the person they care for is their mentally ill daughter or son.

Roberts was always good until the obamacare disgrace. So I'm not 100% firm on where he'll go but to me the forced abortion coverage is clearly a violation of a persons religious rights. If he does strike that part down, the left will go bananas. There are still DC circuit of appeals cases about obamacare being a tax and not starting in the house and that the obamacare subsidies can only go to an exchange set up by a state as it says in the law.

Alito is conservative and i think he smacks the unions down which, depending on how broad will have implications for public unions in other ways. The unions and left will go bananas.

There are two business days left in June. I wonder if we will see those two decisions tomorrow or on Monday?

Give me a break. I'm not a fan of Obama's either, but SCOTUS had had numerous landmark decisions in the past few days (Aereo, privacy on cellphones, picketing at Women's Health Clinics, EPA) and you're telling me this is what you want to talk about? NLRB? Who cares.

There are two business days left in June. I wonder if we will see those two decisions tomorrow or on Monday?

Monday, if they follow the common practice.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue goes way beyond the NLRB and to the separation of powers clause of the Constitution. If you don't care about that, I'd suggest you are on the wrong forum.

Give me a break. I'm not a fan of Obama's either, but SCOTUS had had numerous landmark decisions in the past few days (Aereo, privacy on cellphones, picketing at Women's Health Clinics, EPA) and you're telling me this is what you want to talk about? NLRB? Who cares.

Which one's the Supreme Court Bitch?

Kagan probably... Ginsberg couldn't muster the strength, and Sotomayor probably still likes him.

My first thought too. A well-placed hyphen in the thread title would have avoided some confusion. But I like the mental image of this one better anyway.

This opinion was split in everything but result. The majority rationale by Breyer and the dissenting rationale by Scalia couldn't be more different.

This isn't a dig on anyone here, but the annual release of opinions in late June always seems to remind me how little people understand about the court and how bad the media is at reporting legal decisions.
SCOTUS appointees rarely go the way their original supporters expect/want. Once appointed they are not answerable to anyone, for life. All leverage is gone. Presumably this is a good thing.
Rarely? Not even close. Usually, it was about 50/50.

But even that's no longer true.

Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer and Ginsberg were all appointed by Democratic presidents. Alito, Roberts, Thomas, and Scalia were appointed by Republican presidents.

Kennedy was appointed by Reagan, though he was Reagan's third choice after Robert Bork talked too much and Douglas Ginsburg admitted he liked to smoke some ganja once in a while.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom