Sums It Up Nicely

If I get my ALP, I'll prolly just carry pepper spray, unless a certain situation calls for the precaution of a CCW.
My instructor, after explaining all the ways in which carrying a gun can get you into court, went on the sing the praises of pepper spray and how there are few legal rammifications unless you are the aggressor in the incident.

If I get my ALP, I'll prolly just carry pepper spray, unless a certain situation calls for the precaution of a CCW.
My instructor, after explaining all the ways in which carrying a gun can get you into court, went on the sing the praises of pepper spray and how there are few legal rammifications unless you are the aggressor in the incident.

Nothing wrong with carrying pepper spray, Mike. The only flaw with your idea is that you never know when a situation requiring a firearm is going to come up. From what I've read about most violent encounters, they were totally unanticipated. It's kind of like saying that you're only going to use your seatbelt when you might have an accident...which could be anytime you're in a motor vehicle. [wink]

Lot's of good reasons here, along with a good dose of humor. I came across a quote from a passenger on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 that pretty much sums up the main reason why citizens arm themselves:

Jennifer Allen, 41, of Shelby Township, Mich., arrived in Detroit on Saturday from Amsterdam on Saturday's Northwest 253.

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us," she said. "We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late."

I have to wonder if she carries on a regular basis. I suspect she might. [smile]

Sometimes I carry TWO guns:

• In some situations, you take the NASA approach
  • You can never have enough ammo
  • The bad guys get totally confused if you have more guns than they do
  • Bad guys always vomit when they see that they are out-gunned.
  • Cowboys used to carry two six shooters, so why not!
  • Because I can!

This is why:

Source: Fox News

Salvation Army Major Fatally Shot in Front of His Children
Sunday, December 27, 2009

Philip Wise
Arkansas police are searching for two men who shot and killed a Salvation Army major Christmas Eve outside the organization’s community center in North Little Rock as his three young children looked on.

Pulaski County Coroner Garland Camper said two men accosted Philip Wise and his children — ages, 4, 6 and 8 — about 4 p.m. Thursday. He says one man pulled a gun, demanded money and then shot Wise.

You never know when evil lurks nearby.

Even though I am only "trusted" to carry when involved in "sporting" activities, I feel very strongly about being responsible for my own safety. I WILL be my own last line of defense. (when the state has decided its "appropriate" for me to carry) GRRRR... Damn you LOWELL!!!!!

Rant on: Why is it I was trusted with an select fire rifle, with a grenade launcher, and a pistol for a year in another country, alng with the safety of an entire squad of men, who were all armed to the teeth, and now I can't even be trusted to carry a pistol when I see fit to do so???
Rant Off.

Last edited:

I truly hope you are joking.

Find a real instructor, if you are not.

Nothing wrong with carrying pepper spray, Mike. The only flaw with your idea is that you never know when a situation requiring a firearm is going to come up. From what I've read about most violent encounters, they were totally unanticipated. It's kind of like saying that you're only going to use your seatbelt when you might have an accident...which could be anytime you're in a motor vehicle. [wink]

Very good point.

As for Jose, I don't think you understand how anti-gun MA is. I could be confronted by 3 drunk guys, try to sort things out diplomatically, at worst case TELL them I have a LTC, I get away, they flag down cop car and tell them I have a gun/threatened them....and I'm in court with judges trying to take my license away. In MA, it pays to stay under the radar as much as possible. I've thought about carrying, but unfortunately this state has got me questioning whether MY LIFE is worth the legal rammifications. I know size doesn't matter, but me being 6'3 225, I've never really felt threatened. I know that can change in a heartbeat, but at this point I'm more afraid of lawsuits than being assaulted.

I don't carry a gun because I have a hand phaser which is way better. It's quieter than even a surpressed firearm and you have the option to just stun rather than vaporize/disintegrate the BGs. I prefer to disintegrate because a stunned person will wake up and then there is all that liability (MA is the "Sue-Me-State" afterall). Full power settings, while they may be a bit bright, don't leave much behind (perhaps some bio-cellular residue here and there...maybe a little ash....nothing that can be identified though). It prints like a cell phone in my front pocket but even if I open carry with it, no one knows what it is. [smile]

It prints like a cell phone in my front pocket but even if I open carry with it, no one knows what it is. [smile]

Yeah, but after a couple of drinks you go to answer your phone and your date is dust.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Very good point.

As for Jose, I don't think you understand how anti-gun MA is. I could be confronted by 3 drunk guys, try to sort things out diplomatically, at worst case TELL them I have a LTC, I get away, they flag down cop car and tell them I have a gun/threatened them....and I'm in court with judges trying to take my license away. In MA, it pays to stay under the radar as much as possible. I've thought about carrying, but unfortunately this state has got me questioning whether MY LIFE is worth the legal rammifications. I know size doesn't matter, but me being 6'3 225, I've never really felt threatened. I know that can change in a heartbeat, but at this point I'm more afraid of lawsuits than being assaulted.

So, don't tell the drunk guys you have a gun. Stay under the radar by carrying CONCEALED. The only time anyone should know you have a gun is when you reasonably believe they have the ability, opportunity, and intent to cause you death or great bodily injury. At that point, the potential courtroom consequences of acting should be the farthest thing from your mind, because the consequence of not acting (death) is worse.

Very good point.

Why would you say anything about a gun?

Why would you say anything at all? Turn and walk the other way. Once they follow is game on.

If you have to tip your hand about the gun, YOU be the first to call the cops and tell your story.

Whoever your trainer was, you got robbed.

I know how anti-gun Massachusetts is. And I am still going to be alive after three drunks want to kick my ass for sport.

And if you think your size will save you against three, good luck. All it takes is a rock to the back of the head and you are down. Once you are down you will get stomped into the pavement.

Very good point.

Jose is right... you need to find a new instructor.

Very good point.

It's your choice as an individual whether to carry or not. I wouldnt want to push anyone into carrying a gun unless they were ready for it mentally and physically. But, I do disagree with your line of thinking. What you are saying is that you are more afraid of a law suit than you are of being killed, mamed or raped. I think you need to come up with a different rationalization.

What kind of firearm instructor encourages his students not to use firearms?
Jose is right. Find yourself a new instructor.

Back
Top Bottom