• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suggest scope & rings for 10/22

Scored a regular Woodstock 10/22 at Dicks on Black Friday.
I want a decent scope for it. Shooting 50-100 yards. Will most likely only shoot federal and CCI through it.
I was think BSA Sweer but I wanna see other suggestions too. 3-9 or 4-12 for it?
any good discounts out there?
i have no clue about rings.

I want a decent scope for it. Shooting 50-100 yards. Will most likely only shoot federal and CCI through it.
I was think BSA Sweer but I wanna see other suggestions too. 3-9 or 4-12 for it?

My only suggestion is buy nice rings/mounts
A inexpensive scope can go a long way if you use quality rings/mounts
Poor rings or mounts and no scope will do well.

I,have always liked leupold rings and mounts but the Burris rings are pretty darn good also.
A,bit over kill but I have these in mind for my 22lr AR upper.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

As for scopes? Really depends on what your going to do. I'm getting silly with my 10/22 and will be using a big target dot scope on mine.
Thinking one of these.
http://muelleroptics.com/mu83244td

I have several Hawke brand scopes also and so far very good for the money. I have a 150$ Hawke that's better than the 300$ scopes I used to own.

As for discounts pick a scope and start looking. I have had good luck finding deals on Amazon , optics planet, BHphoto just to name a few.
Don't be afraid to search the clearance and discontinued items sections.

Just pm my friend he found his VXR 3x9 on overstock.com for 389 few months ago.

Last edited:

Don't hold out on trying different ammo. My 10/22 is partial to wolf.
Also aquila super extra does pretty good for me. A slight step up is SK standard plus currently about 60$ /500 great stuff for the money at the moment.

My 10/22 is up next to get it shooting again and some up dates.
I'm torn to mounting target sights on it that are better that tech sights
With a target globe sight up front or the big scope.

Everyone recommended the BSA Sweet 22 when I was looking for a 10/22 scope. It works great but it's much heavier than I expected. I think I would have gone for a lighter scope if I was doing it again.

If your new to scopes I suggest you try as many different reticles you can get behind. Some scopes are overly busy
Also I personally like a side focus objective so you can have nice clear image from 15yards to infinity.
I don't like the AO out on the front bell as my short arms can't reach!

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone recommended the BSA Sweet 22 when I was looking for a 10/22 scope. It works great but it's much heavier than I expected. I think I would have gone for a lighter scope if I was doing it again.

I been eyeballing one of these also.
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/sidewinder-3-12x50-sr-pro.html

This is a important thing to consider. Also
I,have a few scopes that are HEAVY but they are for prone/benched target shooting.

Last edited:
So my setup is as low as I could get the BSA Sweet 22 - had to file down one spot on the rail under the zoom ring, but otherwise it clears everything on the gun. UTG tactical low profile rail for 10/22 and Weaver grand slam lever lok 1" medium rings.

24bm5wy.jpg

As Mac1911 posted, if you are looking for a good scope for small money you'll be hard pressed to beat a Mueller scope. I have the one he linked to on one of my 10/22's and it's great.
They reccomend Burris Zee rings, but I am impatient and needed rings the day the scope arrived. I have extra rings, but not 30mm rings so all I could find were Leupold rings so that's what I have.

I also have a Sweet .22 scope on another one and it works great too. The shop I bought it from said it's the only BSA scope he will sell because the rest suck.
When I buy another scope it will be a Mueller.

image_zpsbcyedsel.jpeg

Sweet 22 and Mueller APV 4.5 x 40AO (MAPV451440) are both very popular rimfire scopes. Tons of info on rimfirecentral.com about them. I own both. The eye relief on the Mueller is definitely as fussy as everyone says it is but it looks and feels nicer than the Sweet 22, especially with the sunshade on it. The Sweet 22 should be a little over $50 and the Mueller is usually around $125. If you want a third option look into the Nikon scopes. They have some options in the $125-$150 range that are pretty popular and high value.

As Mac1911 posted, if you are looking for a good scope for small money you'll be hard pressed to beat a Mueller scope. I have the one he linked to on one of my 10/22's and it's great.
They reccomend Burris Zee rings, but I am impatient and needed rings the day the scope arrived. I have extra rings, but not 30mm rings so all I could find were Leupold rings so that's what I have.

I also have a Sweet .22 scope on another one and it works great too. The shop I bought it from said it's the only BSA scope he will sell because the rest suck.
When I buy another scope it will be a Mueller.

image_zpsbcyedsel.jpeg

I spent a good amount of time behind the Mueller mounted on a Anchutz 64(?)
For the money I thought it was great. So for the less expense "target" scopes I was sold on the Mueller... the gent who let me try his scopes was very helpful.
He called me one day and said on X day I'm bringing all,my scoped rifles to the club for the yearly check up.
This is when I learned the most. Realized I liked less in the way of reticle style.
Now after 30 years of budget end scope use (i,actually prefer iron sights and more so target sights)I will recommend to most new shooters to avoid the bargain scopes in that 80-140$ range. Don't be fooled by high magnification on low priced scopes. I had a barska 12x40x50 scope...160$
Anything over 20x you might as well be looking through a nicotine smothered windshield in a heavy fog. Plus the back lash in the turrets was awful.
No that said I have had good luck with inexpensive scopes for the most part.
Most though are zeroed for a particular ammo and I don't mess with the turrets.

While you are out buying rings and scope, buy a weaver scope base mount also. Don't use the scope mount that comes with rifle as it limits ability to adjust scope fore and aft. Weaver base has a lot more slots in it scope rings.

Also be gentle tightening screws for base as receiver is aluminum. Use loctite and just snug screws

Last edited:
Get this, too:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928145851/volquartsen-bolt-release-and-target-hammer-ruger-10-22

Best 10/22 add-on for the money. Everything else the law of diminishing returns applies.

Ive done this and ive also done just the auto bolt release with a BX drop in. I prefer the BX trigger by far.

- - - Updated - - -

While you are out buying rings and scope, buy a weaver scope base mount also. Don't use the scope mount that comes with rifle as it limits ability to adjust scope fore and aft. Weaver base has a lot more slots in it scope rings.

Also be gentle tightening screws for base as receiver is aluminum. Use loctite and just snug screws

Yep, get rid of that crappy mounting rail if you want your rings to fit properly.

The weaver is no better it's extruded aluminum. Go with a nice machined steel rail.
EBCO makes a nice one as does weingand.
Tacsol is nice too.

Last edited:
Scope and rings for a .22? That's easy, anything that'll help the little girl shoot better.

I know 22 so below you my friend[rolleyes][smile]

takes a real man to wear pink , ride a moped and shoot 22[rolleyes][smile]

why is it that 22lr just cant be shot for fun and to aid in some good marksmenship practice.. I love shooting my 1942 Remington 513t at 200 yards. its fun and challenging and im not dropping 50 cents plus per shot.
plus it shoots betterthan most of my centerfire rifles[crying]

and why cant us blind girls use scopes!

Last edited:
I know 22 so below you my friend[rolleyes][smile] but not below my 6 year old niece!

takes a real man to wear pink , ride a moped and shoot 22[rolleyes][smile] Yeah. Bruce Jenner.

why is it that 22lr just cant be shot for fun and to aid in some good marksmenship practice. Because you train as you fight. Unless you plan on killing zombies or UN blue helmets with .22, stick with real gunz. I love shooting my 1942 Remington 513t at 200 yards. its fun and challenging and im not dropping 50 cents plus per shot.
plus it shoots betterthan most of my centerfire rifles[crying]you need better rifles. And more of them. But then, we all do, so...

and why cant us blind girls use scopes you're a blind girl? Wanna date? I look like Brad Pitt in his 30ies.!
And that's all I have to say.

I have a Redfield rimfire scope on my 19/22. Though I haven't used the feature yet, it's got a turret system that lets you zero the scope at 50 yards, and then adjust the turrets for other ranges out to 150 yards. It's a nice option for shooting at various distances.

I managed to snag a Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12X40 w/ the dead hold BDC and Adjustable Objective for $127 shipped.
Now I just need to find rings for it... I test fit it on my 10/22 TD, but I have a feeling when I toss the .920 Bull Barrel on there it's not going to fit.

I managed to snag a Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12X40 w/ the dead hold BDC and Adjustable Objective for $127 shipped.
Now I just need to find rings for it... I test fit it on my 10/22 TD, but I have a feeling when I toss the .920 Bull Barrel on there it's not going to fit.

Where??

Oh really train as you fight .....I'm thinking MAS 45 at the moment.
I,seem to recall my dad said they used rubber knives in training.
Learning proper marksmanship on a pellet gun can translate to any rifle.
I'm also going to toss out that I'm guessing if the blue helmets come there will be some 22s taking out as many as possible.
Face it people are going to shoot 22s it has nothing to do with manhood.

Maybe just maybe the 22 will be used to take small game to eat?

I do have a few center fire rifles that shoot better( they ones I think matter). Now on accuracy alone out to 200 yards its on par or better with any general issue rifle out there. Yeah it's not going to blow through a person but I can hit them...

Last edited:
Scope and rings for a .22? That's easy, anything that'll help the little girl shoot better.

Thank God we have a real man here to belittle people who shoot .22's. I'm so glad you came here to offer such sage advice.

The same .22's that the U.S. Military used to use to train Infantry Men with so they could conserve ammo for the war effort. You see where I'm going with this.

I shoot lots of .22 and I'll wager a bet I can out shoot you with any gun in any caliber.

I'll bet you drive a Lamborghini with a V-12 too because 4 cylinders are for pussies.
I love keyboard commandos.

Last edited:
Thank God we have a real man here to belittle people who shoot .22's. I'm so glad you came here to offer such sage advice.

The same .22's that the U.S. Military used to use to train Infantry Men with so they could conserve ammo for the war effort. You see where I'm going with this.

I shoot lots of .22 and I'll wager a bet I can out shoot you with any gun in any caliber.

I think many 22s will be more accurate than a MAS F1, G2 or MAS 36 ,39, 59 ?

I'll bet you drive a Lamborghini with a V-12 too because 4 cylinders are for pussies.
I love keyboard commandos.
The higher caliber rifles stand up a lot better when the french dropped them while surrendering.

Because you train as you fight. Unless you plan on killing zombies or UN blue helmets with .22, stick with real gunz...

And I suppose you were trained by James Yeager? Which training module covered diving into a ditch?

LOL, such a distaste for 22LR. Must be some serious compensating & insecurity goin' on there...

Back
Top Bottom