• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stupid things gun counter clerks say

KBCraig

NES Member
I thought we had a thread about this already, but I couldn't find it. No doubt the dupe police will be along shortly...

What's the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard from a gun store clerk?

For me, it was Saturday, at a Walmart sporting goods counter (if that counts). The clerk was jawjacking with a friend, but did take time to actually ask if he could help me find anything. I asked (verbatim) "What ammo do you have in .45 ACP?"

He said (again, verbatim), "Just these two. One's 230 grain, the other one's Colt."

I'm trying to digest this, as I can see the two boxes he's pointing at. One is Federal 230 grain JHP .45 Auto, and the other is Winchester White Box .45 Colt.

He turns right back to his friend and asks him, "What's all this about 'home defense ammo', anyway? I figure if I shoot somebody in my house, that's home defense!"

His friend is also looking a bit squintwise by now, and when I said, "Those are two completely different calibers," he chimed in and tried to explain.

Mr. Helpful Clerk wasn't deterred, he kept right on about not needing any hollowpoints, if he shot somebody with a .45.....

It trailed off in the distance as I pushed my cart away, shaking my head.

So on Sunday, I found handgun ammo on the shelf at the other Walmart in town, for the first time in months, and got two of the Federal 230 JHP (20 rounds each) and one 100 round box of WWB FMJ. That met my 3 box limit. Total was $97.50.

Good lord, I should need a hand truck to carry out a hundred bucks' worth of pistol ammo, not one flimsy plastic bag....

Last edited:
The white box used to be $40 all day long. The 20 round box of HP's have been about $25 forever also.
Those prices aren't off what they were 2 yrs ago

The stupid doesn't just end with some of the people behind the counter, I've had people ask me what I have for 22 caliber shotguns. For ammo and not know what gun they have. One guy asked for shot gun slugs I ask rifled or sabot his response was I don't know, whats the difference.

Posted this before but:

At the Bass Pro counter when I asked if they had any, 'AR type rifles' the clerk said:

"No, this is a family gun store"

Another shop I was browsing a bit and the clerk asked if I had any questions so I asked, "do you have any 30 round PREBAN AR magazines?"

Her response, "No, those would be illegal"

I could regale you with tales of BS and mis/disinformation spewed by LGS owners and their employees. It's not all about Walmart.

True, but your tale of woe is of a Wal-Mart employee.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Oh, had a good one the other week: was having a conversation about licensing in MA, and I explained the steps I went through to get my machine gun license:

Clerk: "Those aren't real"
Me: "..... What?"
Clerk: "Machine gun licenses, they're not real. Just a myth. Mass would NEVER give out something like that"
Me: *take out MGL, slap it on counter*
"Here ya go"
Clerk: *inspects card closely*
"What kind of ****ty printer did you make THIS THING on?? The photo is blurry, the Commonwealth logo looks like crap, the fingerprint is a blob. Maybe this'll fool amateurs, but don't peddle this BS in here. No one has machine guns in MA, they're illegal"

Doesn't EVERYONE'S FID/LTC look like crap? You really, honestly can't fix stupid.

Oh, had a good one the other week: was having a conversation about licensing in MA, and I explained the steps I went through to get my machine gun license:

Clerk: "Machine gun licenses, they're not real. Just a myth. Mass would NEVER give out something like that"
"Here ya go"
"What kind of ****ty printer did you make THIS THING on?? The photo is blurry, the Commonwealth logo looks like crap, the fingerprint is a blob. Maybe this'll fool amateurs, but don't peddle this BS in here. No one has machine guns in MA, they're illegal"

Doesn't EVERYONE'S FID/LTC look like crap? You really, honestly can't fix stupid.

It never never ceases to amaze me how many people think a machine gun is illegal in massachusetts.

"Here ya go"

No way. lol that's amazing.

"Here ya go"

Yep, they all look just as bad. Did this person not look at their LTC application? Right under the Class A line is "License to Possess a Machine Gun". Definitely can't fix stupid.

Actually my interactions with Wal-Mart wrt guns have been mostly positive. Salem, NH store, can't remember the guys name. He was pretty knowledgeable but did say something to the effect that people end up buying an AR-15 from their store and then sell it to the guys "up the road" for three times as much.

I didn't get it and when I asked for an explanation, I was more confused.

clerk told me speer gold dots were "junk" bc apparently some homey was shot with a 165gr .40 speer gd while wearing a puffer jacket and it didn't penetrate through the jacket. Not sure if that story is true, and even if it was, i'd bet is was a defective cartridge. Frankly I think that if a speer gold dot moving at a thousand fps give or take won't go through homey's triple fat goose then no bullet from another manufacturer would. Further I don't believe a puffer jacket will stop any bullet traveling around a thousand fps. So either the story was BS, or it had to have been a defective cartridge.

clerk told me speer gold dots were "junk" bc apparently some homey was shot with a 165gr .40 speer gd while wearing a puffer jacket and it didn't penetrate through the jacket. Not sure if that story is true, and even if it was, i'd bet is was a defective cartridge. Frankly I think that if a speer gold dot moving at a thousand fps give or take won't go through homey's triple fat goose then no bullet from another manufacturer would. Further I don't believe a puffer jacket will stop any bullet traveling around a thousand fps. So either the story was BS, or it had to have been a defective cartridge.

.45s are known to not do well with heavy clothing big heavy bullet going slow, doubt a .40 wouldn't owner rate though.

Actually my interactions with Wal-Mart wrt guns have been mostly positive. Salem, NH store, can't remember the guys name. He was pretty knowledgeable but did say something to the effect that people end up buying an AR-15 from their store and then sell it to the guys "up the road" for three times as much.

I didn't get it and when I asked for an explanation, I was more confused.

Yeah, well talk to the lady with the black hair there and then you shall truly see! She once wasn't going to sell me a box of the Olin military grade buckshot just because the flap was puffed up from the side of the box being cut.

Charles.

My photo looks like a sex offenders photo hanging in the lobby of the lps.

Every time I show it to a store etc . They start laughing and ask how I got my ltc with this photo.
My hair was a mess since I came from work .
I nearly had to come back to be get printed again since my finger prints where all cut up and burnt ...

"Here ya go"

Yes, and I wish I was near you when this happened so I could have slapped my blurry-photo'd, crappy-logo'd, blobby-fingerprinted regular LTC down next to yours to show him.

Back
Top Bottom