• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Study identifies five patterns of gun ownership by motivation, practices, other features

MaverickNH

NES Member
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019...ESPmmjk9EmjcnjMYRIR5UBLD2GzkslLrSz01V6HVVdZ1g

"Cross-sectional data on firearm owners (n=429) were obtained from the 2018 California Safety and Well-Being Survey, a state-representative web-based survey...We identified five markedly different classes of firearm ownership. There were two classes of single-firearm owners and three classes of multiple-firearm owners. Only members of one class (9% of owners) were likely to have carried a loaded handgun and to own high-capacity magazines or assault-type weapons. Members of this class were also likely to own 5+ firearms, own for protection against people, and store a firearm in the least secure manner (loaded and unlocked)."

California gang members - the perfect example of US gun owners. ROFLMAO!

Only members of one class (9% of owners) were likely to have carried a loaded handgun and to own high-capacity magazines or assault-type weapons. Members of this class were also likely to own 5+ firearms, own for protection against people, and store a firearm in the least secure manner (loaded and unlocked)

Surprised they didnt misconstrue the inverse relationship between people who take their personal safety seriously and the likelyhood they'll have a fully loaded firearm secured.

A survey of 429 of ~4.2 million gun owners in CA. With 3/4 old, 2/3 white and 3/4 men - clearly old white men are the gun problem in California. Which has the top score of 76 in the Brady Scorecard, with 31 states in the negative rankings down to -39 for AZ (MA is +70 and NH -7, in case you're wondering...Maine made the Criminal's Top 15 Choice states).

A small caveat - gun owners, especially those that possess once legal but now made illegal firearms, and those prohibited from possessing firearms and magazines, may have underreported gun behaviors. "Have you committed a act punishable as a felony crime but you haven't been caught yet? Please answer yes or no."

The UC Davis press office forgot to mention those little caveats in their quotable press release and those caveats are behind a paywall Study identifies 5 patterns of gun ownership by motivation, practices, other features No wonder the new media missed those niggling details and is generlizing the study to apply to all US gun owners. Oops!

Looking at the definition of the groups the study indicates that 57% of the gun owners left in CA (groups 1 & 3) are Fudds. I also wonder what the percentage of "assault weapon" owners (group 5, 9%) would have to fall below for the government to decide that the risk of real resistance is low enough to go ahead with a full, retro-active ban.

Nah, I'm not cynical.

What a crock of shit. The correlation between owning assault type weapons and high cap mags with storing a firearms in the least secure way is absurd. My experience has been the more AWs someone has, the more likely they have a gun safe.

Of course, they could be correlating deliberately storing a gun "at the ready" (a reasonable precaution in certain parts of the US) is "insecure storage", even if the gun is locked up when the owner is not in proximity.

I am so friggin' tired of the medical field making this their problem...perhaps before they they attempt to remove the speck in gun owner's eyes they should remove the log in their own eyes.

The third-leading cause of death in US most doctors don't want you to know about

• A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
  • Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.

I am so friggin' tired of the medical field making this their problem...perhaps before they they attempt to remove the speck in gun owner's eyes they should remove the log in their own eyes.

The third-leading cause of death in US most doctors don't want you to know about

• A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
  • Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.
I have at least 7 family members (that I know of) die early because of medical errors.
I've worked with people with medical problems and seen lots of scary shit in hospitals. I have more opinions on that, but this ain't the place for that.
Numerous friends dead of drugs or car accidents.
I don't know anybody dead from being shot, I don't know anybody who's been shot or in a gun accident.
I know one guy who got stabbed.

Their only Tweet was from a Washington Post editor. I posted a Response in British Medical Journal and will see if it's accepted.

The sole point of this study is to suggest that anyone who wants to own an AR is an unhinged danger to society not responsible enough for gun ownership.

The Catch-22 of all this is to make it common perception that simply wanting to own a gun (of any type, really) is reason for you not to have one, because you are a paranoid loose cannon who could snap at any time.

The sole point of this study is to suggest that anyone who wants to own an AR is an unhinged danger to society not responsible enough for gun ownership.

The Catch-22 of all this is to make it common perception that simply wanting to own a gun (of any type, really) is reason for you not to have one, because you are a paranoid loose cannon who could snap at any time.
Does the study have any collateral data
on the kind of people that will actually come and take them?

Back
Top Bottom