Stuck case remover?

doobie

Banned
So my reloading equipment arrived today... Everything was going well until I came to the point that I needed a stuck case remover....

Anyone in the Marlborough area have one I can borrow or know a store nearby that would have them in stock so I can continue reloading without waiting a week to order one... It is for a .223 if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason- welcome to the pack! My first case in .223 that I tried to resize got stuck! I guess no enough lube. Either way I just used a drill, tap and bolt with some washers. It's pretty easy really. PITA but easy. I don't have time right now but do a search and you can find how it's done. Good luck.

Jason- welcome to the pack! My first case in .223 that I tried to resize got stuck! I guess no enough lube. Either way I just used a drill, tap and bolt with some washers. It's pretty easy really. PITA but easy. I don't have time right now but do a search and you can find how it's done. Good luck.

Try this. It works well.

B

Thanks! I tried to tap it, but didn't do the drilling. Will try that link in the morning. Hopefully it'll come out.... My first 4 were fine, the fifth stuck.... I'll use a bit more lube next time.

Thanks! I tried to tap it, but didn't do the drilling. Will try that link in the morning. Hopefully it'll come out.... My first 4 were fine, the fifth stuck.... I'll use a bit more lube next time.

Yeah. No way you could tap with a 1/4"x 28 without drilling that baby first! Don't go for anything smaller in size either.

Well....good news is... I got the case out...bad news is.... my decapper/deprimer is busted. I couldn't get it out of the way enough when I drilled and it is no longer long enough. Oh well. I guess I'll have to order a new one and over lube in the future.

Thanks all!

Well....good news is... I got the case out...bad news is.... my decapper/deprimer is busted. I couldn't get it out of the way enough when I drilled and it is no longer long enough. Oh well. I guess I'll have to order a new one and over lube in the future.

Thanks all!

You actually drilled the decapper pin so now it's too short? Bummer.

Doobie, it's not a bad idea to unscrew the decapping stem so it's not close to the base of the case when you drill it. You typically can't get it out since the neck is jammed up in the case and the expander is below the case neck.

B

Actually, most of the time you can remove the decapper/expander (at least the stem) when a bottleneck rifle case becomes stuck in a sizing die, at least if the die is RCBS.

RCBS dies typically capture the decapping pin within the neck expander which is threaded, collet-like, over the end of the stem. Loosen the stem locking ring and then back out the stem until the expander bears up on the inside of the case neck. At this point, further unscrewing is likely to cause the expander plug to unscrew from the stem and drop to the bottom of the case. At this point, the rest of the stem can be removed or at least withdrawn to a point where it is out of harm's way.

Often, when damage to the decapper/expander is done, it is because the drill punched through the case head. Since the hole --and thus the drill bit -- need be no deeper than the top of the web, you can eliminate punch through by using a drill stop on the drill bit.

I think I'll need to invest in a drill stop bit. I'm not sure that the drill caused the damage, but maybe. The damage occurred because somewhere in the process I bent the pin and tried unsuccessfully to bend it back.

I think I'll need to invest in a drill stop bit. I'm not sure that the drill caused the damage, but maybe. The damage occurred because somewhere in the process I bent the pin and tried unsuccessfully to bend it back.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure when setting the decapping pin that you only set it long enough so it will pop the primers and not any more. If you set it too long.. the expander ball may actually hit the bottom of the case causing the pin/expander to bend. Ask me how I know. [rolleyes]

Ok, I'm now an expert at removing a stuck case... To get 100 unprimed/full length sized rounds I had 9 stuck cases. How do I improve this ratio? I'm practically soaking the cases in lube http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=112442.

I started using a pipe cleaner and lubing the inside of the cases and it didn't seem to affect the ratio.

EDIT: A friend stated I should buy new brass and start with that, is this a good idea or bad idea? I've basically gone through all the brass I had for my 30-06 already. But I have a lot more 223 and haven't even started at the 40cal.

Last edited:
My guess is that you're using the wrong lube. Try RCBS case lube and an ink pad. I've never stuck on during ordinary resizing (different story re: case forming).

STP works. I like Imperial Sizing wax though.

I had some One Shot when it first came out and it was great. I don't like the stuff too much now though. Some guys get really good results though. Make sure you shake the can good right before you spray it, and let it dry. Make sure you do all four sides as well and in the case mouth. I think the instructions also say to give the die a squirt before you start.

B

Also did you clean the die first. They put some grease on the inside to

I use Dillon's lube but it is the same as Midways, RCBS and a few others. You must be sure to shake it of you only get the carrier.

I found one of the main reasons that cases get stuck is that the necks are not properly lubed. I use Handy's One Shot for that task. Since then I haven't had one case get stuck.

More lube is not a good thing. All you will do is start denting cases. I also find that if you let the cases dry for five to ten minutes they size much better.

Replacement depriming rods and expander balls are available from both Riley's and KTP is you are in a rush. I always keep extras on hand. When one gets bent (and they will), send them back to RCBS. They will replace them free of charge.

OK! I solved my stuck case problem! The shell holder was oversized by 1/100 inch! Well at least compared to a shell holder that worked. The shells were not being held properly so the head would rip apart and the case would be stuck.

Last edited:
Try using the Imperial Neck lube. It's a powder that works great with the Imperial Wax. Works great and does not require cleaning.

lubing

I use Lyman spray,let sit for few minutes,while waiting for die and cases to dry.Hornady dies the expander comes can be raised.I like Lee dies you release the expander then hit the top and it drives out the case.you should have broken the drill if you hit the punch.are your cases clean before you resize.you can clean them with soap and water.[rolleyes]--[smile]

Buy a Dillon resizing/decapping die and you'll never have a problem removing a stuck case ever again.

Also, use a lanolin/alcohol based lube like Dillon Lube or a home made version of it and get rid of the "One Stuck" spray stuff. It's not cost effective for rifle cartridges anyway, nor does it work worth a damn.

Buy a Dillon resizing/decapping die and you'll never have a problem removing a stuck case ever again.

Also, use a lanolin/alcohol based lube like Dillon Lube or a home made version of it and get rid of the "One Stuck" spray stuff. It's not cost effective for rifle cartridges anyway, nor does it work worth a damn.

I went with RCBS. Hopefully once it arrives it'll work better than the Lee's.

OK, I must suck at reloading or be doing something wrong... I got my RBCS dies last week and had no problem with them. Then on the weekend I started to really fl resize cases.... after about 100 I jammed. [crying] Since then it jams every 4th or 5th case [crying][crying][crying]

I emailed RBCS and they said:

Hi Jason:
What kind of lube are you using? You need to make sure that you are not
using a wax based lube. Check the ingredients in your lube and change
to a water based lube if your lube has any wax product in it at all.
The wax will gum up in the die like rubber cement and cause stuck cases.
Have a great day!

The lube I'm using says it is water based [sad] But I had used some wax based lub on the Lee die....but that was after it was jamming in the first place.

What kind of brass? I had trouble with Prvi Partisan and will not reload it anymore.

Also, did you adjust the die per RCBS's instructions?

What lube are you using.

Just for the hell of it, you might want to switch to a standard lube and pad system, and see if this solves your problem. You should not be having this much of a problem. I have been reloading for a couple of years, and I have only had 1 case stuck, and that was my own fault trying to see how many 30 carbine cases I could resize between putting a lubed one through the press.

What kind of brass? I had trouble with Prvi Partisan and will not reload it anymore.

Also, did you adjust the die per RCBS's instructions?

What is the head stamp on Prvi? Much of it is Remington, but most of it is range brass.

What lube are you using.

Just for the hell of it, you might want to switch to a standard lube and pad system, and see if this solves your problem. You should not be having this much of a problem. I have been reloading for a couple of years, and I have only had 1 case stuck, and that was my own fault trying to see how many 30 carbine cases I could resize between putting a lubed one through the press.

I was using Hornady One Shot (NonHazardous) Lube. I have imperial resizing wax (at EddieCoyle's recommendation, but after RCBS's response, I don't know if I want to throw wax lube into the equation.

I find that the cases size much easier when I lightly lube the inside of the case neck. Don't over lube or you will begin to dent cases.

Back
Top Bottom