Stripped Lower thoughts?

bgoum

NES Member
Not many out there but I currently have a choice of a Del-ton or and Anderson stripped lower?
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Or am I getting the about the same thing at the end of the day? The Del-ton is the heavier 7075 aluminum (vs. the 6061), not sure on the Anderson.

I wouldn't chose one over the other. A lower is a lower unless you're buying a nice billet with some design you specifically like.

I would probably go Anderson. It is more or less the standard. About the best quality for the entry level prices.

I have 3 built Anderson lowers and 2 stripped in my safe. Shoot just the same as my Stag and Spikes. For $65 in some cases you cant go wrong.

I wouldn't chose one over the other. A lower is a lower unless you're buying a nice billet with some design you specifically like.

I have a couple, not from either of these manufacturers, that would beg to differ. Threads for buffer tube, detent pin holes, and buffer retaining pin hole all enough out of spec to require a little extra machining to get going. Bought just before the Sandyhook incident so by the time I went to build them no one had anything to replace them with. I was offered my money back but kept them as I couldn't replace them at the time. I use them as range beaters. They function fine, but the fit and finish is horrible. Had to try three buffer tubes before finding one that would work with one of them. And that was after retapping the threads.

I have a couple, not from either of these manufacturers, that would beg to differ. Threads for buffer tube, detent pin holes, and buffer retaining pin hole all enough out of spec to require a little extra machining to get going. Bought just before the Sandyhook incident so by the time I went to build them no one had anything to replace them with. I was offered my money back but kept them as I couldn't replace them at the time. I use them as range beaters. They function fine, but the fit and finish is horrible. Had to try three buffer tubes before finding one that would work with one of them. And that was after retapping the threads.

It's not supposed to be that hard is it? [grin] I wanted a rock river arms but a little harder to find and was told I was only paying for the name. Maybe something to be said for paying for the name.
Am planing to pick up at least 2 lowers tomorrow and waiting on a spikes tactical to come in as well.

If you are going to use Anderson, keep in mind you will need to use anti walk pins on some triggers and the Mako magwell grip does not fit perfectly i.e. some minor work is required and the serial number window does not align with the serial number of the lower. Plus, the pistol grip uses a shorter screw than other lowers. Good luck on your "build".

Was thinking of one of each - but wanted to hear from some experience which might sway me to pick up 2 of one or other. Have seen Anderson out there everywhere but don't know as much about Del-ton

If you are going to use Anderson, keep in mind you will need to use anti walk pins on some triggers and the Mako magwell grip does not fit perfectly i.e. some minor work is required and the serial number window does not align with the serial number of the lower. Plus, the pistol grip uses a shorter screw than other lowers. Good luck on your "build".
Good information, thanks. Was thinking of the RRA NM 2 stage LPK.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 3 built Anderson lowers and 2 stripped in my safe. Shoot just the same as my Stag and Spikes. For $65 in some cases you cant go wrong.
If you have built 3, your builds probably went well but did you bump into any issues with Anderson?

If you look at the companies doing the machine work vs the companies just putting there name in it . You can find deals once you stop caring about the logo on the side .
Ar15.com has a pretty good thread on this .

Hmm...that doesn't track with my experience with Anderson. I've built 5 now on Anderson lowers. I've never used anti-walk pins on them, and I always just use whatever screw came with the pistol grip (usually Magpul MOEs or MOE-K2).

But, for sure, OP, good luck with the build.

Hmm...that doesn't track with my experience with Anderson. I've built 5 now on Anderson lowers. I've never used anti-walk pins on them, and I always just use whatever screw came with the pistol grip (usually Magpul MOEs or MOE-K2).

Thanks!

Good information, thanks. Was thinking of the RRA NM 2 stage LPK.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have built 3, your builds probably went well but did you bump into any issues with Anderson?

Not an issue at all. I have a Mil Spec trigger in 1 of them and a Timney Drop-in Trigger for the other 2. One has a Stag Upper and the other 2 have Spikes Blem Uppers. All holes line up and went together without a hitch.

90% of the stuff on ARs is over priced by the name on it.

Last edited:
same No Issues, I have found that on the Last Group Buy the Anderson Logo was not as deep as my Brownells Anderson. I also find that after you wet the lower a few times with CLP it really smooths out and shines.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Random Pic

Last edited:
i only have built three lowers all Anderson "Multi - Cal". I used an ALG, CMMG and DPMS triggers. The CMMG pins kept loosening everytime I shot it, but the others never had the same problem. First, I thought the pins were too small. I bought some generic pins to experiment with and still had the same problem. So, to save time and agravation. I just bought some anti walk pin set. As far as the Grips are concerned, Anderson's website notes they use 3/4 inch grip screws. I was using some grip screws and washer I bought from JSE surplus to attach a Hogue grip that I really like from my old AR. That's when I discovered the difference in length. I cant complain about the Anderson lowers. They are inexpensive and seem to be holding up well. My next build will be still an Anderson lower with a geiselle (sp?) SD3G trigger and the newest bump fire stock!

I have a a few andersons and all went to getehr fine. They lock up nice and snug to my RRA uppers vs my NES YHM lower... All my lowers where group buys or on sale.
the areo precision upper and lower where very good. Im not so sure what delton makes themselves?

I use the YHM lower on my 22lr upper as it fits snug on that upper. Not that you absolutely need a tight fit between the two. take them down often enough they all get loose....

Supposedly the grip screw is threaded for a 3/4 in screw. This is supposedly new. I have 4 Anderson lowers. All work just fine. Heck I even SBR'd one.

Last edited:
Anyone use the RRA NM LPK with an Anderson?
Reason for question is this from the website:
"Rock River 2-stage NM pins are .1555 in diameter and are not recommended or designed to be used with .154 pins or .170 Colt lower receivers. .1555 RRA Trigger pins will install in any standard milspec lower receiver without modification but may be noticeably more snug than the .154 pins upon install. "

Snug is OK - I just don't want to have to fight it into place and risk damage.
I am looking at this one:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Roc..._Parts_Kit_with_Nati_p/rra-completenm-kit.htm

Anyone use the RRA NM LPK with an Anderson?
Reason for question is this from the website:
"Rock River 2-stage NM pins are .1555 in diameter and are not recommended or designed to be used with .154 pins or .170 Colt lower receivers. .1555 RRA Trigger pins will install in any standard milspec lower receiver without modification but may be noticeably more snug than the .154 pins upon install. "

Snug is OK - I just don't want to have to fight it into place and risk damage.
I am looking at this one:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Roc..._Parts_Kit_with_Nati_p/rra-completenm-kit.htm

If the RRA kit is Mil-Spec then it should fit the Anderson which is also stated to be Mil-Spec. Personally though I have no experience with that RRA kit.
I remember seeing that disclosure about the Colt somewhere else too. Maybe on CMC's or Timney's website.

I just bought 2 Anderson lowers to squirrel away, haven't built them up but they seem like a good lower, fit and finish appear to be as good as anything else I have used.

I have built a couple Anderson Lowers that work fine. Their parts kits leave a little to be desired. I would recommend something better, especially for the trigger group.
i just bought 2 lowers, not Anderson from the recent group buy. If you are not in a hurry, watch for the group buys, they can save you some cash. Also I believe B&K has a show special at the Marlborough show for Anderson lowers for $49, limited supply. That is a great deal and Brian is a good guy to spend your money with

I have built on an Anderson and an LRB, both GB. Only issue I have had was with a tight front takedown/pivot pin on the Anderson. I researched this and it appears it is pretty common. Ran some fine grit sandpaper through it and all is good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have built a couple Anderson Lowers that work fine. Their parts kits leave a little to be desired. I would recommend something better, especially for the trigger group.
i just bought 2 lowers, not Anderson from the recent group buy. If you are not in a hurry, watch for the group buys, they can save you some cash. Also I believe B&K has a show special at the Marlborough show for Anderson lowers for $49, limited supply. That is a great deal and Brian is a good guy to spend your money with
I actually really like the Anderson LPK, Last 2 were a lot better firing than the PSA, PTAC, Stag and Spikes. Trig is a little sharp on edges but a wet stone cures this. Other than that or I got lucky but it was a very smooth pull and Break.

If you look at the companies doing the machine work vs the companies just putting there name in it . You can find deals once you stop caring about the logo on the side .
Ar15.com has a pretty good thread on this .

Supposedly the grip screw is threaded for a 3/4 in screw. This is supposedly new. I have 4 Anderson lowers. All work just fine. Heck I even SBR'd one.

If the RRA kit is Mil-Spec then it should fit the Anderson which is also stated to be Mil-Spec. Personally though I have no experience with that RRA kit.
I remember seeing that disclosure about the Colt somewhere else too. Maybe on CMC's or Timney's website.

Is it, or is it not "Mil-Spec"?

If it is to spec, then it should all be interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom