• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Striper season coming soon, who's ready?

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
Well the fish are getting really active in Jersey with bunker pods crashing the beach and some decent fish on them . Long Island is starting to produce too so by mid next month they'll be here.South County RI is coming soon. Usually by now I'm chomping at the bit to hit rivers looking for early arrivals but I've spent the whole winter reloading and haven't even touched my gear or tied a leader yet. My wetsuit and waders still have the rotten eel slime stench from when I put them away in October. Its time to start changing hooks ,rigging plugs and finally skin/rig the dead eels in the freezer my wife complains about. Time is almost here ! Who's ready? Any new equipment this off season ? What are you looking forward to trying out this year?

Man I thought it said "stripper season"

Me too [frown].

That being said, it's going to be delayed this year considering Narragansett Bay had a significant ice pack. The water in Providence is still 50 degrees, only 5 more degrees and it's time.

Last edited:
Well the fish are getting really active in Jersey with bunker pods crashing the beach and some decent fish on them . Long Island is starting to produce too so by mid next month they'll be here.South County RI is coming soon. Usually by now I'm chomping at the bit to hit rivers looking for early arrivals but I've spent the whole winter reloading and haven't even touched my gear or tied a leader yet. My wetsuit and waders still have the rotten eel slime stench from when I put them away in October. Its time to start changing hooks ,rigging plugs and finally skin/rig the dead eels in the freezer my wife complains about. Time is almost here ! Who's ready? Any new equipment this off season ? What are you looking forward to trying out this year?

I'm mostly a trout fisherman (I was a guide around Yellowstone in the mid-90's), but now that I'm stuck in New England, I'd like to get my Ocean Kayak out around Plum Island estuaries with some bait, if anyone has any online resources on when and what to use.

I'm mostly a trout fisherman (I was a guide around Yellowstone in the mid-90's), but now that I'm stuck in New England, I'd like to get my Ocean Kayak out around Plum Island estuaries with some bait, if anyone has any online resources on when and what to use.

Alot of nice fish will be up there soon. Check with your local kayak/bait shop up there. There's a ton of info out there, heres one http://www.onthewater.com/plum-island-fishing-guide/ . Check out Plum Island Surfcaster Assn. too , tons of good people in there who can guide you as to where. You'll be able to live line macks or troll tube and worm is very effective, eels in the day time will work or plugs for first light etc the choices are endless.

Got my first +40" from the shore last season, on a plug. This year's goal is to take stripers on the fly. If that works out, my next goal is to take one on the fly at night. I'm going to upgrade my 8wt rod, and add a 10wt. Still shopping for them.

I can't wait. I was at a talk about salt water fishing with Ron Powers from On the Water Magazine at the Swampscot yacht club a few weeks ago and I'm chomping at the bit. I even won a door prize.

Can't freaking wait for the CT River striper run. So weird to be able to catch them in my bass boat, on the CT River, right near Sprinfgield.

Hopefully the local bait guy got his license back and will be able to sell live eels again.

Can't freaking wait for the CT River striper run. So weird to be able to catch them in my bass boat, on the CT River, right near Sprinfgield.

Hopefully the local bait guy got his license back and will be able to sell live eels again.
And they get good sized fish way up in that river too. The next big low pressure drop will drive them in there, I've got friends that do very well on that river.

Yes the new regulations are for 1 fish at 28" or bigger for all recreational anglers. I went to all the local meetings around here and heard the overwhelming public support for the reduction. The public voted very strongly for 1 @ 32" but somewhow they still passed the current regs. I was most impressed to hear some charter organizations voting for the 1 fish limit.

Why not?
jhull-striper-8-15-02.jpg

Wouldn't mind one from the canal or a river. Gotta get equipment ready.

Here's Tyler with his best..32# 45" , he's been known to outfish grown men at the canal! Your welcome to come along any time you want.
View attachment 135420

We've fished the harbor many times but never tried the canal, hear it's great fishing. If youre ever heading down and don't mind someone tagging along, shoot me a PM. I've always wanted to go, but wouldn't know where to start as far as rigging.

We've fished the harbor many times but never tried the canal, hear it's great fishing. If youre ever heading down and don't mind someone tagging along, shoot me a PM. I've always wanted to go, but wouldn't know where to start as far as rigging.

Will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for the commercial season to start....too much fun.

And the price was a bit more stable last year , I know a few guys did well.

Just purchased my hunting and fishing licenses today. Already have my gear. I surf fish mostly since I sold my boat a few years ago. My daughters are really looking forward to getting the lines in this year. When i go to the cape in July I might take the girls on a charter. We'll see how it goes at that point. For now I have a buddy who wants to fish from some jetty in Fairhaven. I'm not familiar with that area but he says lots of people fish there and do pretty well. I suppose I'll head down that way within the next month or so.

Back
Top Bottom