Storing food for 2+ years. Starting out..

<snip> I've got a roughly 6ft tall metal cabinet for food, water, and supplies.<snip>

Some things to remember: Its never "too late" to start and while its wise to always have drinking water on hand remember our planet is 80% water. Water filters take up very little space compared to the volume of water they can process in their service life.

I've just started expanding my food stores for emergencies. It was something we always did growing up in earthquake country, but only on a small scale. Found some great ideas here that I'll be putting into practice. Someone previously mentioned quinoa... I store rice and quinoa, but prefer quinoa for emergency use. It cooks faster than rice and thus uses less fuel (whether it's propane or keeping a fire stoked). It also contains more nutrients than rice so a little more bang for your buck. Just remember to store enough water to cook these dry goods, in addition to drinking water.

Coconut oil is another staple both for cooking (long shelf life, antioxidant and antiparasitic, high smoke point), first aid (natural sunscreen, antiviral, aids healing for cuts/bruises), personal care (skin and hair care, mixed with baking soda and cornstarch makes deodorant).

I have been using half gallon Mason jars with the metal lids and an oxygen absorber to store rice, beans, oats, flour, etc for a while now. I do rotate through everything, so I do not worry too much about how long it has been stored. I basically have one wire breadrack type shelving that has canned broth, all the preserves/canning from garden, canned chili and some other canned goods as welll as all the dry stuff. I rotate through it so when I run out in the pantry, it gets replaced from there and then more is bought to rotate onto the shelf. I like being able to see it all and I know it is stuff I will eat and enjoy as it is a lot of what I eat every week. I keep the Mason jars in half height boxes so I can keep track of them, but they are unlikely to get knocked off the shelf. The shelves have just enough lip that nothing is going to slide off if you do not also lift it. I also keep about two weeks worth of Mountain House meals around. I buy more beofre a camping trip and put them on the shelf when I take the older ones to go with me. Nothing stays there much more than a year.

No but having eaten a bit of freeze dried food back in my backpacking days I can tell you that's not really prepping.

That's "Set and Forget" prepping. OTOH it makes for a good back up plan.

A closet full of freeze dried food, a safe full of guns and 20,000 rounds of ammo is all some people think they might need.

Opinions vary but if you're serious about getting your act together prepping, go through this sub forum. There's real good info on backyard chickens, square foot gardening, home canning, first aid and food storage to name just a few topics.

I have a canning class coming up this weekend (it's full !) and others planned. There are other members here who's knowledge is well worth soliciting and hopefully they will also start offering classes on their areas of interest as well.

Thanks Twigg. I've been prepping for a couple of years now. The freeze dried is for back-up/sublimental basically. Been doing the sq. ft gardening. Unfortunately, where I am doesn't allow for "farm" animals.
We're looking to move to a more hospitable area for that reason among others.
I'll keep my eyes open for your next class. I've got books, but haven't delved into the canning yet. I'd rather get hands on training any day.

I agree with Twigg, it's more than just storing food and supplies. This will take you only so far. After that, there are skills needed: everything from foraging for food to first aid. While there are a few (very few) people who could "do it all", it helps to have a network of people with different specialties (hunting, cooking, medical, ham radio, etc)

In addition to what Twigg and others have said, i'll offer up that Augason farms brand is probably the best value in the space... though I haven't analyzed that particular package. I use them for things you can't otherwise store yourself, like dairy powders, through SamsClub.com - you can get items alacarte for half of what they charge direct.

In addition to what Twigg and others have said, i'll offer up that Augason farms brand is probably the best value in the space... though I haven't analyzed that particular package. I use them for things you can't otherwise store yourself, like dairy powders, through SamsClub.com - you can get items alacarte for half of what they charge direct.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Someone that's actually used the stuff.

Hey Gang,

Resurrecting a slightly aging thread.

I am in process of getting my short and medium term pantry going - a few more Costco runs and I should be set.

Then onto long term (in that 1-20 year storage time frame).

Had a quick question for the experts out there on long term storage - trying to get a feeling for whether I should focus on 1) storing in #10 cans or 2) storing in Mylar inside 5 gal buckets.
I am leaning towards storing in Mylar but didn't want to rule out #10 cans (e.g. LDS cannery)

Appreciate insight into the pros and cons for both methods - thinking of convenience, storage space, if one stores longer than the other, etc.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance!

Mylar is the easiest to do at home. I would do #10 if you're getting to a LDS day, otherwise I personally don't store them in bulk.

If I had money to burn I'd buy more #10 cans from mountain house to mix up my long term storage, but I wouldn't go that route first.

Hey Gang,

I am in process of getting my short and medium term pantry going - a few more Costco runs and I should be set.

Had a quick question for the experts out there on long term storage - trying to get a feeling for whether I should focus on 1) storing in #10 cans or 2) storing in Mylar inside 5 gal buckets.
I am leaning towards storing in Mylar but didn't want to rule out #10 cans (e.g. LDS cannery)

Appreciate insight into the pros and cons for both methods - thinking of convenience, storage space, if one stores longer than the other, etc.

Packing your own foods in mylar is more cost effective so you can bump up your supplies quickly and easily.
#10 cans of FD foods are great for variety and longer term storage.

Side note on Augason Farms. A friend of mine bought some of their FD veggies. And actually tried them so she would know how to use them. Many would not rehydrate and stayed rock hard even after boiling. She posted it in another forum I'm on and a few others had the same experience. Just an FYI

I don't have any experience with Augason. My kids do eat Mountain House regularly though as we all backpack. I keep 1-2 weeks of meals on hand. I would keep more to mix into my other stores to break up the flavor spectrum if I had more money to throw at it.

Just a side note on why you should store food. Having a family, especially with children, in a bad economy like we're in now you need to be mindful that you could lose your job if things turn south. Storing food is a great way to mitigate a bad situation. If you did lose your job at least you've eliminated a section of your spending. Just stop buying food and live off your stores. Ease the financial pain while still providing for your family.

My family's personal goal is to have 1 full year of all the food we typically eat on hand. We have three children. We do not spend a trivial amount on food. Not having to buy food during bad times for a year would save us $200+/week. That's a lot of money.

Also you need to shop smart. Buy at least one extra thing each time you go to the store. Even if it's a generic label can of chunk tuna. Also learn your supermarket's sales cycles. Don't ever buy common items like pasta unless they are on sale. For instance I will never buy spaghetti for more than $1/lb. most of the time I wait till they are $0.77.

If you have a spouse, either always shop together or only let the more frugal person do it and go to the store with a list and a budget. I do not shop without a list of what I absolutely need for the week and a top dollar amount I am spending. I walk through the store, pick up the must haves, then walk through again picking up sale items for our storage until I reach my limit.

Last edited:
Side note on Augason Farms. A friend of mine bought some of their FD veggies. And actually tried them so she would know how to use them. Many would not rehydrate and stayed rock hard even after boiling. She posted it in another forum I'm on and a few others had the same experience. Just an FYI

I almost exclusively store Auguson farms for "bought" storage. Unfortunately, what you describe is the case for everything i've tried. If you REALLY want to rehydrate veggies you're talking a day plus in sun warmed water. Auguson's process is no different than the rest, and in fact most use the same manufacturer. Most #10 can food is nothing you want to have to use for anything other than baking, but the nutrients and variety is there for cheap if you need them.

Mountain house has some premium stuff, but regular veggies... its all the same.

You will not want to replace your idohoan mashed potatoes with potato gems. You will not want to replace lighthouse onions with Auguson.

Hey Gang,

I do both. When I get the LDS it is all in cans. It stacks well and the size is very convenient. Their prices are hard to beat. I went on a cannery trip last year and it was great.

For bulk stuff I package myself I use 5 gal buckets with Mylar and o2. THis is mostly bulk wheat, corn, rice, pasta and some mixed buckets of beans, sugar, salt etc.

If you get into storing the whole grains you need to practice using them. Get a good grinder and try recipes. Whole different ball game. Once you figure it out on your stove at home, practice with how you would prepare them in an emergency.

I do both. When I get the LDS it is all in cans. It stacks well and the size is very convenient. Their prices are hard to beat. I went on a cannery trip last year and it was great.

For bulk stuff I package myself I use 5 gal buckets with Mylar and o2. THis is mostly bulk wheat, corn, rice, pasta and some mixed buckets of beans, sugar, salt etc.

If you get into storing the whole grains you need to practice using them. Get a good grinder and try recipes. Whole different ball game. Once you figure it out on your stove at home, practice with how you would prepare them in an emergency.

I've got a question. Can anyone give me a source for whole corn that I can pack in a 5 gallon bucket with mylar and a O2 absorber?

I don't have any experience with Augason. My kids do eat Mountain House regularly though as we all backpack. I keep 1-2 weeks of meals on hand. I would keep more to mix into my other stores to break up the flavor spectrum if I had more money to throw at it.

Just a side note on why you should store food. Having a family, especially with children, in a bad economy like we're in now you need to be mindful that you could lose your job if things turn south. Storing food is a great way to mitigate a bad situation. If you did lose your job at least you've eliminated a section of your spending. Just stop buying food and live off your stores. Ease the financial pain while still providing for your family.

My family's personal goal is to have 1 full year of all the food we typically eat on hand. We have three children. We do not spend a trivial amount on food. Not having to buy food during bad times for a year would save us $200+/week. That's a lot of money.

Also you need to shop smart. Buy at least one extra thing each time you go to the store. Even if it's a generic label can of chunk tuna. Also learn your supermarket's sales cycles. Don't ever buy common items like pasta unless they are on sale. For instance I will never buy spaghetti for more than $1/lb. most of the time I wait till they are $0.77.

If you have a spouse, either always shop together or only let the more frugal person do it and go to the store with a list and a budget. I do not shop without a list of what I absolutely need for the week and a top dollar amount I am spending. I walk through the store, pick up the must haves, then walk through again picking up sale items for our storage until I reach my limit.

Great points.
Also, many times the items that you get coupons for in the Sunday paper will go on sale that week or the following week so you can save even more.

Back
Top Bottom