storage of ammo

I just pike up these lockers to store my ammo.
If you have more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammo - you need an ammo permit from your Fire Department.

IF your house burns down - it wont be covered by your home insurance - unless you get an ammo permit.

The permit allows up to 49,999 rounds of center fire ammo.
Also 29,999 of rim fire.

If you want more than 49,999 you need an ammo license which is more difficult if not impossible to obtain.

If you have more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammo - you need an ammo permit from your Fire Department.

IF your house burns down - it wont be covered by your home insurance - unless you get an ammo permit.
It's funny how people just declare this to be 100% fact and no exceptions will be made, but have no proof of it happening. Sure it's possible but it's also possible that the insurance will cover the damage.

My theory is that when thieves get into your house when you ain't home whatever has a zillion locks on it will be the primary focus of their tools.
That's why I keep all my prying and cutting tools in a "StackOn" locking box (doesn't even deserve the RSC label). If nothing else, forces them to bring their own tools.

Also 29,999 of rim fire.

If you want more than 49,999 you need an ammo license which is more difficult if not impossible to obtain.
Step away from the pipe.

Also 29,999 of rim fire.

I’ve always wondered why the rim fire limit was 29,999 rounds while the center fire limit was 49,999. If it’s supposed to be for fire safety, I would think 49,999 rounds of .50 BMG would be more of a problem than 29,999 rounds of .22 LR. Of course that would be assuming that any MA regulation regarding guns was based on common sense.

I personally think that it’s because it is much easier to acquire 30,000 rounds of .22 LR (just 6 cases of 5,000 rounds). Back last November, when The CMP had Federal .22 on sale for $354 a case, I bought a case without thinking about the storage limit. Didn’t realize it until I went to put it in my ammo cabinet and saw I already had 5 cases plus a bunch of smaller boxes. Had to go off and shoot a bunch of .22 to get me back down to 6 cases[mg].

Also 29,999 of rim fire.

Do you have cases to back up the claim that the insurance company won't cover you?

I wonder how they would even know you have more than 10K rounds.

Let's use a reloader as example ... you have 9K rounds, you have 20K empty casings, you have 10K bullets and 8K primers.

Good luck proving anything after a fire. Let me know, how will they prove there were more than X thousand of rounds.

lol

(insert visual of insurance guy picking through rubble)

"He has 10,001 rounds. ZOUNDS!!!!! But I cant tell if this is just all empty brass or it all went off in the fire " [rofl]

Protip: this is the most frequently ignored 'law" in MA... theres a reason for it.... it (usually) doesnt matter.

Do you have cases to back up the claim that the insurance company won't cover you?

I wonder how they would even know you have more than 10K rounds.

Let's use a reloader as example ... you have 9K rounds, you have 20K empty casings, you have 10K bullets and 8K primers.

Good luck proving anything after a fire. Let me know, how will they prove there were more than X thousand of rounds.
I have no solid evidence but I still believe it.

I have a habit of confirming rumors direct from the horses mouth but I would not dare call my insurance company.

They record and document all my calls.

I don't want to get on their radar.

It was awkward enough asking if my coverage would cover my belongings in case of a fire.

Last thing I want to be accused of is Irish Lightening. It's similar to Jewish Lightening but the bolts are short and stout.

I have no solid evidence but I still believe it.

I have a habit of confirming rumors direct from the horses mouth but I would not dare call my insurance company.

They record and document all my calls.

I don't want to get on their radar.

It was awkward enough asking if my coverage would cover my belongings in case of a fire.

Last thing I want to be accused of is Irish Lightening. It's similar to Jewish Lightening but the bolts are short and stout.
Tell me, how would they know how much ammo you have?

They could count casings, but how many were once fired vs loaded?

They could try to count bullets (of someone wants to sit there and count 10K pieces of lead), but how many were fired vs new bullets for reloading? - a bullet fired from a casing not in a chamber will look pretty intact.

You are claiming insurance won't cover it. Back it up somehow.

Would the insurance not covering the home owner also apply if ammo wasn't stored exactly as described in MGL?

What if you have one gun that isn't registered?

lol

"He has 10,001 rounds. ZOUNDS!!!!! But I cant tell if this is just all empty brass or it all went off in the fire " [rofl]

Protip: this is the most frequently ignored 'law" in MA... theres a reason for it.... it (usually) doesnt matter.
Once I got a storage permit for smokeless, when I went to the fire station to get it the lieutenant actually had to look it up because he never issued one before, never even heard of it.

I asked him what getting the permit would actually do, he said maybe they would get a flag if they ever responded to the house...maybe, sounded like a big f***in maybe.

We had a fire in town in someone's "survival trailer". It was packed with reloading components, ammo, etc. Needless to say, the firefighters had a pretty interesting night with all the cook offs and the powder jugs igniting.

We had a fire in town in someone's "survival trailer". It was packed with reloading components, ammo, etc. Needless to say, the firefighters had a pretty interesting night with all the cook offs and the powder jugs igniting.
Unless they are pressurized I don’t see how ammo cooking off would be an issue.

Tell me, how would they know how much ammo you have?

They could count casings, but how many were once fired vs loaded?

They could try to count bullets (of someone wants to sit there and count 10K pieces of lead), but how many were fired vs new bullets for reloading? - a bullet fired from a casing not in a chamber will look pretty intact.

You are claiming insurance won't cover it. Back it up somehow.

Would the insurance not covering the home owner also apply if ammo wasn't stored exactly as described in MGL?

What if you have one gun that isn't registered?
I can't back this claim up.

Perhaps one of our esteemed insurance workers can chime in.

Just on NES I have heard nightmare stories about insurance adjusters and those folks help you get what you deserve when your house burns down.

They will refuse to cover my toothbrush without documentation.

I'd imagine they would send somebody in to count ammo if they thought I was over 10,000 rounds. I bet they could do this to avoid paying out my policy.

If your belongings are insured for $50,000 - do they really just cut you a check?

Or, do they make you itemize every item in your entire house?

@Buck F - can you chime in on this?

Unless they are pressurized I don’t see how ammo cooking off would be an issue.
It isn't. There is a firefighter training video on YouTube. Ammo won't even go through cardboard.

We threw a bunch of ammo in the fire the night before a NES shoot, no one got a scratch.

lol

The powder load is also a joke, although an argument can be made if it is all in containers.

10,000 rounds of 45/70 at 34 grains per round = 48.5lbs of powder.

But, it is 48.5 pounds divided into several small quantities.

I can't back this claim up.

Perhaps one of our esteemed insurance workers can chime in.

Just on NES I have heard nightmare stories about insurance adjusters and those folks help you get what you deserve when your house burns down.

They will refuse to cover my toothbrush without documentation.

I'd imagine they would send somebody in to count ammo if they thought I was over 10,000 rounds. I bet they could do this to avoid paying out my policy.

If your belongings are insured for $50,000 - do they really just cut you a check?

Or, do they make you itemize every item in your entire house?

@Buck F - can you chime in on this?

It depends on the nature of the claim. We had a guy who had a Renters policy w/ $15K contents and $3K Loss of Use, the multifam he lived in burned down, they cut him a check for $18K within days. He and everyone else in the house also got a decent amount from gofundme. This was a little over a month ago.

If it's a theft claim they look at it a little more closely and require some documentation in the way of an inventory. If you claim $8k worth of stuff was stolen from your car, you better have some documentation on the stuff you're claiming. Also, there are special limits of liability on theft losses i.e. limitations on coverage for things like cash, securities, jewelry, silverware, firearms, furs, etc. Limits for loss by theft on those items are typically $1,500 -$5,000 depending on the policy you buy. Otherwise for normal household stuff (furniture, clothing, electronics, toys, etc.) you'll get a fair settlement for the fire/wind/water damage since the adjuster can usually figure

Generally they require that you provide them a reasonable list of your possessions in the event of a loss, they're not necessarily looking for documentation of what you had as much as a reasonable list of what you had. An adjuster can't just imagine what was stolen and it's not unreasonable for them to ask for a list and some documentation if you're claiming more than clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. It's amazing how many people end up having specialty/high end stuff w/ no documentation at all /s. I mean, if I have an $8k leather sectional couch, I'm pretty sure I have a receipt or credit card statement I can produce from when I bought it.

I advise people to take a video inventory of their belongings and send it to us to keep in the file. In 25+ years, I have yet to see one such inventory sent to us or even maintained by a client. A video inventory would alleviate 99% of problems but no one does it.

Any adjuster that knows there's a 10k ammo limit in MA is a gun guy and won't give you a problem and going over the 10K limit shouldn't invalidate your coverage.

Last edited:
Once I got a storage permit for smokeless, when I went to the fire station to get it the lieutenant actually had to look it up because he never issued one before, never even heard of it.

I asked him what getting the permit would actually do, he said maybe they would get a flag if they ever responded to the house...maybe, sounded like a big f***in maybe.
Who knows, maybe they would have just put a form in a filing cabinet
(or disk folder) until you asked; and then they considered annotating
some kind of residence record in a fire department GIS database...

It depends on the nature of the claim. We had a guy who had a Renters policy w/ $15K contents and $3K Loss of Use, the multifam he lived in burned down, they cut him a check for $18K within days. He and everyone else in the house also got a decent amount from gofundme. This was a little over a month ago.

If it's a theft claim they look at it a little more closely and require some documentation in the way of an inventory. If you claim $8k worth of stuff was stolen from your car, you better have some documentation on the stuff you're claiming. Also, there are special limits of liability on theft losses i.e. limitations on coverage for things like cash, securities, jewelry, silverware, firearms, furs, etc. Limits for loss by theft on those items are typically $1,500 -$5,000 depending on the policy you buy. Otherwise for normal household stuff (furniture, clothing, electronics, toys, etc.) you'll get a fair settlement for the fire/wind/water damage since the adjuster can usually figure

Generally they require that you provide them a reasonable list of your possessions in the event of a loss, they're not necessarily looking for documentation of what you had as much as a reasonable list of what you had. An adjuster can't just imagine what was stolen and it's not unreasonable for them to ask for a list and some documentation if you're claiming more than clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. It's amazing how many people end up having specialty/high end stuff w/ no documentation at all /s. I mean, if I have an $8k leather sectional couch, I'm pretty sure I have a receipt or credit card statement I can produce from when I bought it.

I advise people to take a video inventory of their belongings and send it to us to keep in the file. In 25+ years, I have yet to see one such inventory sent to us or even maintained by a client. A video inventory would alleviate 99% of problems but no one does it.

Any adjuster that knows there's a 10k ammo limit in MA is a gun guy and won't give you a problem and going over the 10K limit won't invalidate your coverage.
Thanks for the info!

Would you tell your 10k+ Ammo guys in Mass NOT to get said ammo permit?

Getting an ammo permit would reveal to lots of folks that you have goodies at home.

I bet the local FD would take a fire more seriously if you had an ammo permit.

Maybe they would work harder to prevent a catastrophe.

OR, maybe they would just stand back and let it burn.

Seems like a catch 22.

It's shooting season now. Lots of people will be depleting their ammo supplies and it's too expensive to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom