storage of ammo

It depends on the nature of the claim. We had a guy who had a Renters policy w/ $15K contents and $3K Loss of Use, the multifam he lived in burned down, they cut him a check for $18K within days. He and everyone else in the house also got a decent amount from gofundme. This was a little over a month ago.

If it's a theft claim they look at it a little more closely and require some documentation in the way of an inventory. If you claim $8k worth of stuff was stolen from your car, you better have some documentation on the stuff you're claiming. Also, there are special limits of liability on theft losses i.e. limitations on coverage for things like cash, securities, jewelry, silverware, firearms, furs, etc. Limits for loss by theft on those items are typically $1,500 -$5,000 depending on the policy you buy. Otherwise for normal household stuff (furniture, clothing, electronics, toys, etc.) you'll get a fair settlement for the fire/wind/water damage since the adjuster can usually figure

Generally they require that you provide them a reasonable list of your possessions in the event of a loss, they're not necessarily looking for documentation of what you had as much as a reasonable list of what you had. An adjuster can't just imagine what was stolen and it's not unreasonable for them to ask for a list and some documentation if you're claiming more than clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. It's amazing how many people end up having specialty/high end stuff w/ no documentation at all /s. I mean, if I have an $8k leather sectional couch, I'm pretty sure I have a receipt or credit card statement I can produce from when I bought it.

I advise people to take a video inventory of their belongings and send it to us to keep in the file. In 25+ years, I have yet to see one such inventory sent to us or even maintained by a client. A video inventory would alleviate 99% of problems but no one does it.

Any adjuster that knows there's a 10k ammo limit in MA is a gun guy and won't give you a problem and going over the 10K limit won't invalidate your coverage.
Guess what I’m doing this weekend.

Thanks for the info!

Would you tell your 10k+ Ammo guys in Mass NOT to get said ammo permit?

Getting an ammo permit would reveal to lots of folks that you have goodies at home.

I bet the local FD would take a fire more seriously if you had an ammo permit.

Maybe they would work harder to prevent a catastrophe.

OR, maybe they would just stand back and let it burn.

Seems like a catch 22.

It's shooting season now. Lots of people will be depleting their ammo supplies and it's too expensive to replace it.
I would never tell anyone to break the law. Otherwise, I really wouldn’t worry about the ammo quantity issue as it relates to homeowners insurance.

If the question is, will a property insurer deny a claim because the insured owner/renter stored ammo over permitted limits, the answer is no, they will not deny on that basis.

IANAL but from the Insurance Adjusters International web site:

Common Reasons for Denial of a Property Damage Claim​

1.) Not filing on time​

Your insurance policy will require that you notify them promptly of any loss. There are also time sensitive requirements for the filing and documentation of any claim.

2.) Non-payment of premiums​

Keeping up with your premium payments is especially important. Your insurance company will require that you pay your premium on time.

3.) False statements or questionable claims​

Post-disaster you can expect your insurance company to send their own adjuster to investigate your claim. If they find anything suspicious or questionable involving the original application for coverage or with the claim itself, it is possible that your claim will be denied.

4.) Insufficient documentation of the damage​

One of your responsibilities as a property owner is to file and prove your claim to the insurance company – it is not the insurance company’s job to prove the claim to themselves. Therefore, it is important that you accurately document the damage done to your property in a detailed manner by taking photographs in the aftermath to submit to help prove your case.

5.) Exclusion clauses​

Every property insurance policy comes with its exclusions. If the cause of your property damage is excluded from coverage in your policy, then you can expect your claim to be denied.

6.) Not taking sufficient preventative measures following a loss​

Following a property loss, the policyholder is required to protect the property from further damage and to mitigate the extent of loss. Leaving the property exposed to additional loss and not taking reasonable steps to reduce the extent of the loss, could be grounds for a denial.

Tips to Avoid Denial​

• Notify your insurer promptly of any loss and understand the requirements time limits for filing a claim.
  • Pay your premiums on time.
  • Know what your policy covers and excludes and obtain adequate coverage if available.
  • Following a loss take all reasonable steps to protect the property and to mitigate the damage.
  • Document all damage and file a detailed itemized claim to your insurer.
Note that item 3.) is actually referring to cases of arson. From what I’ve researched, a normal claim will not be denied, even if it is due to something as carless as improper storage of oily rags (which causes 35% of garage fires). The fact that you were over the MA arbitrary ammo storage limit will probably never even be looked in to.

Just a note that the updated version of 527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE has gotten rid of the < for some of the permit limits so they are now (with permit):
30,000 rounds of rim fire
50,000 rounds of center fire
50,000 rounds of shotgun
They stupidly kept the < for primers, so it’s still 9,999 primers.

I’m certainly glad that they got rid of that < for the rim fire. I’d hate to have to break into one of my 6 5K cases of 22 lr just to get rid of that 1 round.

So I started looking through 527 CMR and came across this:

19.3.1 Spontaneous Combustion. Substances subject to spontaneous heating or ignition, such as oily or greasy rags, or other materials or combinations of materials, shall not be deposited in combustible containers or so kept or stored as to ignite combustible material.
19.3.1.1 Such substances shall not be mixed with combustible rubbish or stored in the same containers.
19.3.1.2 Materials subject to spontaneous ignition shall be kept in listed metal receptacles equipped with self-closing hinged covers designed to guard against the hazard of spontaneous combustion.
19.3.1.3 Contents shall be emptied every night and disposed of properly.

So anyone throwing out an oily rag in their normal trash is in violation of 527 CMR, just like anyone exceeding the ammo storage limits. Any fire that was caused by spontaneous combustion of said rag would be the result of said violation. Again, I’ve never heard of an insurance claim being denied because it was due to a fire started by spontaneous combustion of improperly disposed oily rags.

I bet the local FD would take a fire more seriously if you had an ammo permit.

Maybe they would work harder to prevent a catastrophe.

OR, maybe they would just stand back and let it burn.
I think that in most places the most likely scenario is that it would not be taken into consideration. That info probably wouldn't make it to the firefighters on scene. And if it did, they probably wouldn't change tactics because of it.

It's funny how people just declare this to be 100% fact and no exceptions will be made, but have no proof of it happening. Sure it's possible but it's also possible that the insurance will cover the damage.
I wonder if anyone who believes this about the 10K+ thing knows that their homeowners is likely limited to 3K for firearms?

Who knows, maybe they would have just put a form in a filing cabinet
(or disk folder) until you asked; and then they considered annotating
some kind of residence record in a fire department GIS database...
Probably irrelevant anyway because I have been told (No I don't remember from who) that if there are licensees in the house its gets flagged anyway.

I wonder if anyone who believes this about the 10K+ thing knows that their homeowners is likely limited to 3K for firearms?

The special limit of liability for firearms you're referring to only applies to loss by theft, otherwise firearms are treated like any other personal property (contents) for other covered causes of loss (i.e. fire, water, etc.). The limit for loss by theft of firearms on a standard H03 coverage form is $2,000 (most carriers use this form but not all) and most companies bump it if you add their preferred/enhanced coverage endorsement. My policy includes $6K. I have one carrier that allows up to $15K for unscheduled firearms and then you can schedule the collection after that.

If the concern is about theft or collectible value, then firearms should either be scheduled on the homeowners policy or perhaps get a specialty firearms policy, if theft isn't the concern then the standard homeowners policy will cover firearms like any other contents.

I did a word search on one of the more commonly used homeowners forms nationwide, no mention of ammunition and the word firearm is mentioned once under the Special Limits of Liability section.

Dude....

https://www.mass.gov/doc/527-cmr-1-massachusetts-comprehensive-fire-safety-code/download

527 CMR 1, Section 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) - page 22 in that pdf of the MA fire code. I have no interest in whether you follow the CMR requirements or not, just don't tell people they don't exist.

The way I read this, is that if you have enough ammo (spelled out in 1.12.8.50) to require a permit, you do not need a permit if you keep it in a locked container.

1) check 1.12.8.50 to see if you need a fire code permit by exceeding the ammo limits
2) if so, under 1.12.8, which category do you fall under
3) ammo falls under 1.12.8.39 ( Blasting, Explosives, Fireworks, and Model Rocketry.)
4) under 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) a permit is NOT REQUIRED if "stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use"

thus, you only need the permit if you exceed those limits AND do not keep it in original containers AND it's locked up in a storage container.

Otherwise, there is no storage requirement for ammo under 527 CMR 1 (Fire codes).

This is contrary to what GOAL says on their website where they don't distinguish the limits that require a permit. GOAL - Ammunition Info
Although I believe the NRA/NSSF/etc recommend locked storage separate from firearms for safety.

I don't believe there is any ammo storage requirement under the firearms laws. I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Would love a lawyer to confirm or deny my interpretation... @nstassel ??

... I have been told (No I don't remember from who) that if there are licensees in the house its gets flagged anyway.
MGL Ch. 66 §10B: ...; persons who own, possess or have license to carry firearms; ...

[ Text of section applicable as provided by 2016, 121, Sec. 18.]​
The commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, the department of criminal justice information services and its agents, servants, and attorneys including the keeper of the records of the firearms records bureau of said department, or any licensing authority, as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, shall not disclose any records divulging or tending to divulge the names and addresses of persons who own or possess firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and ammunition therefor, as defined in said section 121 of said chapter 140, and names and addresses of persons licensed to carry or possess the same to any person, firm, corporation, entity or agency except criminal justice agencies as defined in section 167 of chapter 6 and except to the extent such information relates solely to the person making the request and is necessary to the official interests of the entity making the request.​

So in your town the fire department performs as its principal function, activities relating to crime prevention, ...; the apprehension, prosecution, adjudication, incarceration, or rehabilitation of criminal offenders; or the collection, storage, dissemination or usage of criminal offender record information?

The way I read this, is that if you have enough ammo (spelled out in 1.12.8.50) to require a permit, you do not need a permit if you keep it in a locked container.
4) under 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) a permit is NOT REQUIRED if "stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use as provided in Section 1.12.8.50"

thus, you only need the permit if you exceed those limits AND do not keep it in original containers AND it's locked up in a storage container and you do not exceed the quantity limits in table 1.12.8.50 Permit and/or License Thresholds.
FTFY.

MGL Ch. 66 §10B: ...; persons who own, possess or have license to carry firearms; ...

The commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, the department of criminal justice information services and its agents, servants, and attorneys including the keeper of the records of the firearms records bureau of said department, or any licensing authority, as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, shall not disclose any records divulging or tending to divulge the names and addresses of persons who own or possess firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and ammunition therefor, as defined in said section 121 of said chapter 140, and names and addresses of persons licensed to carry or possess the same to any person, firm, corporation, entity or agency except criminal justice agencies as defined in section 167 of chapter 6 and except to the extent such information relates solely to the person making the request and is necessary to the official interests of the entity making the request.​

So in your town the fire department performs as its principal function, activities relating to crime prevention, ...; the apprehension, prosecution, adjudication, incarceration, or rehabilitation of criminal offenders; or the collection, storage, dissemination or usage of criminal offender record information?

FTFY.
Like i said, I'm not sure it's fact, just what I have heard from others, but reading that excerpt it would seem they do not, or should not anyway.

FTFY.
Not sure I agree... it's all predicated on the applicability of (1). if you exceed those limits.... then you need a permit.. if you need a permit by exceeding those thresholds, you are now exempt if you store it according to 1.12.8.39.

So basically, if you have a lot of ammo, you need to lock it in a container.. if you don't you can store it any way you want...

the reg is written a little back-assward in that the applicability section comes after the requirements.

I can't imagine trying to get to the bottom of a Jobox full of ammo to get something.
I keep mine in heavy duty 2 drawer filing cabinets. USGI ammo cans fit nice. Marked on the top. Open drawer and lift out the appropriate can.

Not sure I agree... it's all predicated on the applicability of (1). if you exceed those limits.... then you need a permit.. if you need a permit by exceeding those thresholds, you are now exempt if you store it according to 1.12.8.39.
Two tenets of statutory interpretation to keep in mind:
  1. Given a choice between two ways to interpret a law, the interpretation which makes sense is the interpretation which must be used.
    • -and-
  2. Given a choice between an interpretation where some text is pointless (redundant, meaningless, ...), and an interpretation where that text is relevant, the interpretation where every single clause affects the meaning is the one which must be used.

1) check 1.12.8.50 to see if you need a fire code permit by exceeding the ammo limits
2) if so, under 1.12.8, which category do you fall under
3) ammo falls under 1.12.8.39 ( Blasting, Explosives, Fireworks, and Model Rocketry.)
4) under 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) a permit is NOT REQUIRED if "stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use"

thus, you only need the permit if you exceed those limits AND do not keep it in original containers AND it's locked up in a storage container.

Otherwise, there is no storage requirement for ammo under 527 CMR 1 (Fire codes).

This is contrary to what GOAL says on their website where they don't distinguish the limits that require a permit. GOAL - Ammunition Info
Although I believe the NRA/NSSF/etc recommend locked storage separate from firearms for safety.

I don't believe there is any ammo storage requirement under the firearms laws. I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Would love a lawyer to confirm or deny my interpretation... @nstassel ??

First, why read 1.12.8.50 as occurring before 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2)? I also think truncating 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) is a mistake. Leaving aside (1), the section reads

"1.12.8.39.1.1.4 Permits Not Required. Permits shall not be required for the following:
(2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use as provided in Section 1.12.8.50."

"1.12.8.50 Quantities, Permits and License Requirements.
1.12.8.50.1 The activities and aggregate quantities listed in Table 1.12.8.50 shall be used in determining permit and/or license thresholds."

So when I query whether I need a permit for ammo storage; if it's in original containers, is not in use and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box, and is below the quantity limits not requiring a permit described in 1.12.8.50 - then I don't need a permit. If any of those conditions (containers, locked, quantity) are different than the 'don't need a permit' case, then I need a permit or license authorizing me to do whatever the permit or license says I can. Typically it's for exceeding the no permit quantity limit, but presumably the fire department could write you a permit exempting you from the containers or locked as well. There's theoretically an argument to be made that if you have a permit for quantity that doesn't specify locked and containers you would also be exempt from those two conditions, but in practice I don't think that'll get far in an MA court.

As far as ammo storage law, I am 100% sure there is none - just the CMR.

Many fire departments are quite surprised to learn that they're in charge of ammo storage permits. Many police departments are equally surprised to learn that they aren't. Just another MA legal mess. It's based on the national code, which has the rational idea that in high enough quantity, chemicals with sufficient potential energy can complicate firefighting. Here in the DPRofMA, of course if it involves guns it's on another level entirely.

Clear as mud, right?? MA strikes again....

First, why read 1.12.8.50 as occurring before 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2)? I also think truncating 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) is a mistake. Leaving aside (1), the section reads

"1.12.8.39.1.1.4 Permits Not Required. Permits shall not be required for the following:
(2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder stored in original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use as provided in Section 1.12.8.50."

1.12.8.50.1 The activities and aggregate quantities listed in Table 1.12.8.50 shall be used in determining permit and/or license thresholds."

So when I query whether I need a permit for ammo storage; if it's in original containers, is not in use and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box, and is below the quantity limits not requiring a permit described in 1.12.8.50 - then I don't need a permit. If any of those conditions (containers, locked, quantity) are different than the 'don't need a permit' case, then I need a permit or license authorizing me to do whatever the permit or license says I can. Typically it's for exceeding the no permit quantity limit, but presumably the fire department could write you a permit exempting you from the containers or locked as well. There's theoretically an argument to be made that if you have a permit for quantity that doesn't specify locked and containers you would also be exempt from those two conditions, but in practice I don't think that'll get far in an MA court.

Many fire departments are quite surprised to learn that they're in charge of ammo storage permits. Many police departments are equally surprised to learn that they aren't. Just another MA legal mess. It's based on the national code, which has the rational idea that in high enough quantity, chemicals with sufficient potential energy can complicate firefighting. Here in the DPRofMA, of course if it involves guns it's on another level entirely.

And then there is this, right at the beginning:

1.3.3.2 When a conflict between a general requirement and a specific requirement occurs, the specific requirement shall apply.
The the question is, is the permitting requirement in conflict with the storage requirement and, if so, is the permitting requirement considered the more specific requirement. As you say, clear as mud.

And then there is this, right at the beginning:

The the question is, is the permitting requirement in conflict with the storage requirement and, if so, is the permitting requirement considered the more specific requirement. As you say, clear as mud.

Well, this being Massachusetts we're talking about I'm confident the Commonwealth will apply the "which way is worse for the gun owner" test and jump that way.

this entire CMR might as well be written in an alien language.. What a mess..

generally in MA CMR, the applicability comes before the permitting requirements. Not sure why in this case, the applicability comes afterward. Maybe they were getting inundated with permit requests and needed to add thresholds later. But 1.12.8.50 dictates the threshold to be exceeded to require a permit. If you're under the threshold, none of this applies, not even the locked container thing. IMHO/YMMV/IANAL

1.12.8 also says you need a permit before starting "1.12.8* General Requirements. A permit and an application for permit shall be required as prescribed in 1.12.8. No work or activities described in this Section shall commence without first complying with Section 1.12 and the applicable Table in 1.12.8." So does that mean you need a permit before accumulating all your ammo? IMHO, this refers to the building of ammunition storage container.

Table 1.12.8.39 doesn't even list ammunition storage for who to contact for the permit. "Storage of in any magazine, building or structure." might be the closest.. might be a typo missing "ammunition", but then refers to the State Fire Marshall to issue the permit. Magazine as in Explosives & Ammunition Storage | Armag Corporation

I think 527 CMR 13.11 is much clearer than 1.12.
https://www.sec.state.ma.us/reg_pub/pdf/500/527013.pdf starting on pg 50 of the PDF.
Funny but this makes no reference to 527 CMR 1 which deals with permits.

you think these are bad.. you should see the air pollution regulations in 310 CMR 7. This shit makes your head spin.. Great discussion though.. Would love to hear a lawyers opinion..

It depends on the nature of the claim. We had a guy who had a Renters policy w/ $15K contents and $3K Loss of Use, the multifam he lived in burned down, they cut him a check for $18K within days. He and everyone else in the house also got a decent amount from gofundme. This was a little over a month ago.

If it's a theft claim they look at it a little more closely and require some documentation in the way of an inventory. If you claim $8k worth of stuff was stolen from your car, you better have some documentation on the stuff you're claiming. Also, there are special limits of liability on theft losses i.e. limitations on coverage for things like cash, securities, jewelry, silverware, firearms, furs, etc. Limits for loss by theft on those items are typically $1,500 -$5,000 depending on the policy you buy. Otherwise for normal household stuff (furniture, clothing, electronics, toys, etc.) you'll get a fair settlement for the fire/wind/water damage since the adjuster can usually figure

Generally they require that you provide them a reasonable list of your possessions in the event of a loss, they're not necessarily looking for documentation of what you had as much as a reasonable list of what you had. An adjuster can't just imagine what was stolen and it's not unreasonable for them to ask for a list and some documentation if you're claiming more than clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. It's amazing how many people end up having specialty/high end stuff w/ no documentation at all /s. I mean, if I have an $8k leather sectional couch, I'm pretty sure I have a receipt or credit card statement I can produce from when I bought it.

I advise people to take a video inventory of their belongings and send it to us to keep in the file. In 25+ years, I have yet to see one such inventory sent to us or even maintained by a client. A video inventory would alleviate 99% of problems but no one does it.

Any adjuster that knows there's a 10k ammo limit in MA is a gun guy and won't give you a problem and going over the 10K limit won't invalidate your coverage.
What I started doing ...

Created an Email for inventory purposes only.
I never touch that Email, has a different password than my main Email.

I forward all receipts and pictures to that inventory Email.

Every box of ammo I have shipped, FA10 ...

I created it mainly for my gun insurance because it also covers reloading equipment and ammo, but I am using it for other things as well.

I wonder if you store your ammo (regardless of quantity) in a shed or out building and not in your house if you could avoid the FD ammo permit and not risk any insurance issues if your house did catch fire. Seems like a safer alternative if indeed fire risk is the main concern. Also, not having to get the permit certainly keeps you off the radar and inevitable Massachusetts watch list.

I wonder if you store your ammo (regardless of quantity) in a shed or out building and not in your house if you could avoid the FD ammo permit and not risk any insurance issues if your house did catch fire. Seems like a safer alternative if indeed fire risk is the main concern. Also, not having to get the permit certainly keeps you off the radar and inevitable Massachusetts watch list.

People over think the insurance part.

Ammo, powder and primers I'm a fire are not a big deal, there are videos on YouTube. I found one showing something like 32lbs of smokeless powder burning, took less than a minute and it was over.

The insurance company is not going to count how many casings look like they they had a bullet and powder after a fire.

Back
Top Bottom