1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Stopped into local PD today - Not happy

Discussion in 'Connecticut Laws' started by bhmax16, Jul 28, 2014.

1. bhmax16

bhmax16

EDIT: Found application online, thanks Shipwreck

Hey guys, I just moved to CT (New London), from Mass. Didn't want to, but it was necessary for the job. I am working on obtaining my pistol permit here in CT (just took the class the other day) as I conceal carried in Mass for a number of years and wish to continue to do so here in my new state of residence.

Stopped into the NL PD today to pick up an application. Stood at the dispatch window for a good 10 minutes and nobody came over to ask if they could help me. Yes it was after 4pm, which I guess are the "normal business hours," but a station is obviously open 24/7. I wound up walking out without an application figuring I'd try my luck some other time this week. In Massachusetts my local department even made the application a downloadable pdf on their website to avoid even needing to stop into the station to pick one up. Here I stop in and nobody cares to ask how they can help me. What gives?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

wow.

poor prognostic indicator when something in MA seems better.

god bless you.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck

Don't know why you had to stop at the local PD. Only had to do it once, got printed and handed in the application downloaded from the state site.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Also, glad to see an NESr move down in my neck of the woods. If you ever want to get together for some shoosting, let me know.

4. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Did you yell out to them or knock on the glass to get someone's attention?

Just standing there may not always work.

5. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

next time bring donuts and coffee. they will smell them, and come running. done.

1 person likes this.
  6. PATRON

PATRON NES Life Member NES Member

Just yell out who ordered the donuts.

7. bhmax16

bhmax16

Haha thanks for the laughs guys. Shipwreck thanks for pointing me to the location of the pdf. I discovered it on the state site almost immediately after my rant *feeling like a doofus now.* I printed it and will be filling it out tonight. And yes I'm always up for shooting and am currently trying to figure out which club I may be interested in becoming a member at.

Lens - I understand standing there won't always work, but I feel it was pretty obvious I wanted help. I do not have a type A personality, so I am not one to scream for attention...for better or worse!

8. CockedAndLocked

CockedAndLocked Banned

9. AllaSnackbah

AllaSnackbah NES Member

the person supposed to probably got laid off recently.

10. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain

I'm CURRENTLY at my PD, and I'm not happy either.

1 person likes this.
  11. chinalfr

chinalfr NES Member

Want attention? Just yell 'Allah Akbar' repeatly.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

1 person likes this.
  12. Come and take

Come and take NES Member

Next time walk in with a Ghillie suit.

1 person likes this.
  13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    What would happen if the donuts were under the Ghilie suit?

14. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain

15. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Well, you can always do what a few friends of mine have done when ignored in a restaurant . . . they called the restaurant and asked the manager/hostess to send someone over to "table x"! [rofl] It worked.

You could call the non-emergency number and ask them to help the guy at the window! [Yes, I am serious about this.]

If I was at your PD I wouldn't be happy either! [wink] [rofl]

1 person likes this.
  16. dcmdon

dcmdon NES Member

To the OP.

I'm on the board of CT Carry. We have resources that can help if the NLPD jerks you around at all.

I don't remember how much trouble NL is, but remember, you do not have to submit to anything more than is required on the downloadable form already provided in this thread. Some things that PDs ask for that are extra legal include:

1) Letters of recommendation
    2) Interviews
    3) In home interviews
    4) Releases allowing them to pull your medical and credit history. (New Haven only as far as I know)

CT is not like ma. You are not going hat in hand asking for a pistol permit. You submit to an administrative process and if you are not a prohibited person a pistol permit pops out the other end.

Don't let people tell you otherwise. As a carry state, CT is still VASTLY superior to MA and actually superior to many more pro gun states.

Don

p.s. I'll PM you my phone number. Give me a call and we can talk. Moving to a new state can be very intimidating if you are a gun person. Rob Boudrie and others on this site helped me out a lot when I moved from CT to MA.

p.p.s. No permit of any kind is required in CT to POSSESS firearms. Including handguns. Don't leave your guns in MA. Bring them in with you. Its perfectly legal.

p.p.p.s. Dont worry about transport. For handguns (until you get a pistol permit) bring them into the state in the trunk. If you don't have a trunk, a locked container must be used. Don't bother with trigger locks. They don't make any difference.

For long guns, just put them anywhere you want in the car. No locks, cases or anything else is required. You can legally drive down the highway with a (preban) AR15 across your lap and a loaded mag in your hand. Unless you put that mag in the gun, you are in full compliance with the law.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014