Steven Seagal, Lawman

The show BLOWS...I couldn't take all his mentioning of his "past Martial Arts experience". If he didn't drop his Zen approach and shameless referrencing to it, then it may be entertaining.
But to me, it is nails on a chalkboard...kinda like that 1-877-kars 4 kids radio jingle....the faster you turn off the radio, the better

also, on a personal note, I ACTUALLY do like the guy. Always dug his movies, and was quite amused when he was gonna do the show, mainly cuz he looked like such a slob. Delivers the token action movie punchlines the best out of all the 80's-90's action movie duders

I watched a couple of episodes just to see if it was a show worth watching... and I give it a 5/10. [grin]

Seagal himself is entertaining. But some of things he said turned me off. For instance... I know he's a gun owner (he apparently has a nice collection of 1911's) but I wouldn't call him a "gun nut" or "Pro 2A" like some of us are. For instance... after pulling a guy over who had a .270 hunting rifle in the car Seagal held up a round from the rifle and said to the camera, "This is a .270, a fast round, very deadly and can penetrate any of our vests, it's an enemy of the police" [rolleyes]

On a different traffic stop he also scolded a guy who was lawfully carrying concealed (had a permit) by saying, "Don't be carrying a loaded gun, okay?" [thinking]

Needless to say I don't watch the show anymore [smile]

On a different traffic stop he also scolded a guy who was lawfully carrying concealed (had a permit) by saying, "Don't be carrying a loaded gun, okay?" [thinking]

I didn't catch the permit part. I thought he just had a legally owned gun on him but no permit to CC. The guy kept telling him "run the number, run the number, its clean". I thought that's why he told him not to carry a loaded gun. When he gave the gun back to him he said "we're not after guys like you, we're after criminals".

Again, maybe I missed the part where the guy said he had a permit. Thinking he didn't have a permit, I thought it was cool to let him off like that. If I'm wrong and he had a permit then I'm with you.

I didn't catch the permit part. I thought he just had a legally owned gun on him but no permit to CC. The guy kept telling him "run the number, run the number, its clean". I thought that's why he told him not to carry a loaded gun. When he gave the gun back to him he said "we're not after guys like you, we're after criminals".

Again, maybe I missed the part where the guy said he had a permit. Thinking he didn't have a permit, I thought it was cool to let him off like that. If I'm wrong and he had a permit then I'm with you.

He never said he had a permit, just that the gun was his.

If nothing else he's a very pro 2a LEO.
Then why does he point to a 270 Winchester hunting rifle and proclaims it a cop killer?

The guy is a tool and a has-been. I, for one, do not need idiots like him as police officers.

OK, is this thread about the show or a very detailed LA gun law discussion?? Lighten up!

Is the show any good/entertaining??

poke fun if you wish, but I dig this movie!

1867311020a.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Why is he wearing admiral's rank? [rolleyes]

I have seen a few episodes. He does seem to be a bit anti-gun, but you have to remember that he is in Jefferson Parish which is Ghetto.. I think if I were a cop there I would be trying to get every gun from every delinquent too. I like him.
Where he is is no excuse.

Where he is is no excuse.

I should have said every gun not lawfully being carried, or owned. The problem is not the legal guns, it is the people illegally carrying. Where he is has a lot to do with his mindset in my opinion.

I have to admit, I watch the show fairly regularly. I don't recall him ever running across someone carrying a weapon who was licensed. He does make mention of getting guns off the streets but he does so in the context of criminal possesion, not legal possesion.

As far as his comment about the cop killer .270, I did not see that episode but if that round can penetrate a vest and the guy was carrying it loaded on a public way then I don't see the issue with pointing that out. Again, I didn't see the episode so I don't know the context.

Then why does he point to a 270 Winchester hunting rifle and proclaims it a cop killer?

The guy is a tool and a has-been. I, for one, do not need idiots like him as police officers.

I agree he's a tool but think for a sec if what he said was sarcastic. How many hunters shoot with .270s. So all of the stuff the gang bangers carry can be stopped by vests and yet the .270 can't. That's some fudd bashing if you ask me.

Why is he wearing admiral's rank? [rolleyes]

You are overthinking this. It's just typical hollywood crap. He had apparently been busted down to cook from a much higher rank. It may have been admiral but it was definitely high up there.

You are overthinking this. It's just typical hollywood crap. He had apparently been busted down to cook from a much higher rank. It may have been admiral but it was definitely high up there.

I think he was an insubordinate SEAL and being a cook was his punishment.

I think he was an insubordinate SEAL and being a cook was his punishment.

Yeah, something like that. Like I said, he was overthinking it.

BTW: Is segal a real cop or is he play acting? From the show's website:

Steven Seagal Lawman - Steven Seagal has never sought publicity for his work with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. However, over a span of almost two decades, he has regularly gone out on patrol and worked major cases. The series will allow fans to ride shotgun with Seagal as he and his hand-selected elite team of deputies respond to crimes-in-progress. Then, when Seagal goes off-duty, the cameras will continue following him as he pursues his many ventures - including musical performances and philanthropic efforts - in Jefferson Parish and New Orleans

This makes it seem he was doing this before there was ever a show.

That is true. In the movie he was a decorated chief petty officer in the SEALs and hit and officer after a mission went awry and instead of drumming him out of the service they busted him down to cook......where the bad guys would least expect resistance.....and of course from a playmate in a cake.

Don't tell him I said this or he might beat me up, but Segal is so full of !@#$ I am amazed they could find a vest to fit him... [rofl2]

I don't doubt his martial art skills for a moment since they have been confirmed by many people who I do believe, but everything that comes out of his mouth is suspect...

The first episode of the show laid out the background for Seagal working there. Apparently Seagal was in Parish 20 years ago filming a movie and the Chief of Police asked him to show his deputies some self defense moves, etc. The COP was so impressed with Seagal afterward that he actually deputized Seagal and he's been working part time as an actual law enforcement officer there ever since.

I don't know anything about the show or the guy, but....

If the kid had the gun, and it was illegal, how could he let him go...?
If the kid had the gun, and it was legal, how could he keep the gun...?

(Yeah, I know, cops + guns makes for bad logic.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom