Steel plates

Ok so my buddy who is a member of Hopkinton Sportsman invited me to go out an shoot at their annual pre turkey steel plate match Weds night. I do not expect to do well in fact I will most definately be out in the first round but my buddy will to but we will have fun anyway. So here is the question we both shoot Glocks and the rules they sent out say the starting position is saety on de-cocked barrel on the table. What do we do with the glocks? No safeties no de-cock. Anyone know what the correct start for us will be?

Thanks,

Bob

Loaded on table.

If you don't have a safety (spare us the triple-safety speech) or a de-cocker, you can't activate it.

Same as a revolver.

Ask the range officer when you get there. They have specific rules for that type of shoot regarding ammo, storage, where you can load mags, etc.
The first time I shot there I accidentally violated some of their protocol so just ask beforehand.

Will you be out in the first round because of skill or because your Glocks blew up [wink]

I supect it will not be because the Glock blew up.
So you know what that means re. my skill [crying].

I have watched the videos on YouTube and those guys take the whole rack of plates down in like 3 seconds. And no I won't go into the triple safety thing I am with you the glock has no safety as far as I am concerned and I handle the gun that way too.

I will ask for the rules before anything starts.

Thanks

Fun shoot at Hopkinton TONIGHT!

Just go and shoot. The ROs there are very friendly and helpful. If you don't know about something, ask and they will be glad to help.
This is a fun shoot the HSA crew has done for several years and it is more about the BS-ing and good natured ribbing of one another. I stopped by the club yesterday to drop off some spare plates for the rack and there was a gentleman there sighting in for the event. I'm sorry I won't make it this year due to another obligation. (Others will be quite happy that I am missing.........)[smile]

Ok so my buddy who is a member of Hopkinton Sportsman invited me to go out an shoot at their annual pre turkey steel plate match Weds night. I do not expect to do well in fact I will most definately be out in the first round but my buddy will to but we will have fun anyway. So here is the question we both shoot Glocks and the rules they sent out say the starting position is saety on de-cocked barrel on the table. What do we do with the glocks? No safeties no de-cock. Anyone know what the correct start for us will be?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

It's barrel on the table as Scrivner says. If your finger's off the trigger of your Glock, your safety's on. Hopefully I'll see you there tonight!

The "safety on" is applicable to single action semi autos. If you are using a semi auto with a hammer drop safety, it will be considered a dingus rather than a safety. You will not be required to start with your dingus down, but may not pre-cock the hammer on a double action that does not have a safety when in the cocked position (for example, CZ and some EAA style designs). The man running the event gave his son (who will be shooting) the middle name Cooper (hmmm.... I wonder who suggested that name to him as a joke 17 years ago), so he's not a big fan of crunchentickers nor does he consider the dingus a safety.

Supermoto, wouldn't that depend on the gun? I'm dead on with plates at 25 yards with a 6 o'clock hold on my 1911

Supermoto, wouldn't that depend on the gun? I'm dead on with plates at 25 yards with a 6 o'clock hold on my 1911

The 'aim for the top 3rd' is more about shot placement - i.e. you hit the top of the plate it's more likely to go down'. Likely not an issue for you stud-muffins shooting full power .45's out of a 5" barrel, but for us Nancy-boys shooting 115g 9mm out of 3" barrels it's a consideration [wink]

The "safety on" is applicable to single action semi autos. If you are using a semi auto with a hammer drop safety, it will be considered a dingus rather than a safety. You will not be required to start with your dingus down, but may not pre-cock the hammer on a double action that does not have a safety when in the cocked position (for example, CZ and some EAA style designs). The man running the event gave his son (who will be shooting) the middle name Cooper (hmmm.... I wonder who suggested that name to him as a joke 17 years ago), so he's not a big fan of crunchentickers nor does he consider the dingus a safety.
Dingus? Isn't that some polish holiday involving pussywillows?

The 'aim for the top 3rd' is more about shot placement - i.e. you hit the top of the plate it's more likely to go down'. Likely not an issue for you stud-muffins shooting full power .45's out of a 5" barrel, but for us Nancy-boys shooting 115g 9mm out of 3" barrels it's a consideration [wink]

Actually, Its about hitting the plate and not the rack, if you pull a shot aimed 2/3 high, it will hit the plate not the rack. aim for the middle and pull a shot it will hit the rack. So aiming a little high will help you clean the rack faster

Bob,

It's barrel on the table as Scrivner says. If your finger's off the trigger of your Glock, your safety's on. Hopefully I'll see you there tonight!

Thanks to all for the input. I look forward to BS'ing that surely goes along with these events. It is about fun for me and picking up a tip or 3 along the way. I realy need to get in a formal training at some point. I will make a point to introduce myself tonight. As far I know I am still a go. The mother-in-law is staying at the house tonight so I think all parties involved will be happier with me out of the way as they prep for the shindig tomorrow.

Actually, Its about hitting the plate and not the rack, if you pull a shot aimed 2/3 high, it will hit the plate not the rack. aim for the middle and pull a shot it will hit the rack. So aiming a little high will help you clean the rack faster

Ah! Makes sense! Thanks

Training.

Red, if you go tonight, you will meet Bob Draper our club President, Rob Boudrie, and Erich Thalheimer, who are running the event.
This same group also runs an introduction to USPSA/IPSC shooting course each spring. If you want to learn to shoot accurately at high speed, this is the way to get started. Ask them about it.

Good luck.

Michael Chludenski. HSA, USPSA, NRA, GOAL, DRL (tm)

That sounds like a lot of fun Red. Can't wait to join you guys in things like this once I get my class A... good luck!

edit: Not to go OT but Supermoto... do you ride/race sumo? I race a motard (as well as a middleweight sportbike) in the Loudon Road Racing Series...

That sounds like a lot of fun Red. Can't wait to join you guys in things like this once I get my class A... good luck!

edit: Not to go OT but Supermoto... do you ride/race sumo? I race a motard (as well as a middleweight sportbike) in the Loudon Road Racing Series...

I raced 600ss and started to race SMs before I move back east. Rode a Yz426 that was also street legal. Lots of fun. Saw the Duc you just got, very nice. makes me miss mine

Back from the steel shoot. It was a real good time. The Glock did not blow up. I did so much better than I had figured I would never won a relay but moved up the ladder a couple times. What a great bunch of guys. I did not count but I bet about 40 showed up. Bob, Eric and Rob ran an awesome event and just kept starting another relay untill everyone had had their fill. I shot in 6 relays and many shot more than that. There are some great shooters out there. I am inspired. I do love my Glock but a carry gun is not the way to be as fast as you can be. I know it is not all the gun the fast guys obviously have a ton of time and skill behind them but boy some of the dedicated race guns were something else. But it did not matter what you were shooting everyone had fun and some of the tips pointed out earlier in this thread were apparent. Shoot high on the plate, it was amazing watching how many shots hit the bottom of the plate or the rail right below and the plate did not tip. The second piece of advice that was truly obvious and painful. Aim your first shot well. If you hit the first plate with a good aim it made the followup shots much easier. As you can tell by my ramble this was probably the most fun I have had shooting yet. (I know I need to do more events) And I spent a grand total of $18 cash and way less than a box of ammo. When is the next shoot? I will be there.

I raced 600ss and started to race SMs before I move back east. Rode a Yz426 that was also street legal. Lots of fun. Saw the Duc you just got, very nice. makes me miss mine
Oh nice! So you're here now but don't race anymore? You should check out the LRRS up in NH, it is a small enough roadrace course that motards work really well, there are whole classes for them. I picked mine up and was able to do well on it almost right away. Very different from the 600 but lots of fun at Loudon.

I always race the 600 on saturday and the motard on sunday... going from the r6 to the motard is way too hard of a transition [laugh]

20090725a505size.jpg

Back
Top Bottom