• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Steel case ammo

So, after doing some math, Target Sports reference, 5K rds of Wolf - $1800; Tulammo $1498; Federal brass $3747. I'd buy the steel, shoot up the 5K rounds, take the $2K I saved and buy another rifle, still saving about $1300.

Part of the problem is stuff like Fed XM193 is considerably more powerful than most of the steel trash ammo. The steel junk most people
shoot isn't even in the same category.

The argument becomes more compelling if someone actually takes steel cased ammo and loads it to 5.56 specs. I think Hornady might have been the only
one that did this at one time.

The money you saved? Depends on how long it took you to use all that ammo. If you don't shoot a lot it could take you several years to
save the money and it's lost in the noise. [laugh] I otherwise agree, in principle, if you're burning up a shitload of ammo on an annual
basis, the concerns about burning up barrels or whatever are pretty much moot, then again the whole thing becomes moot.... if you can afford to shoot up 5000 rounds of factory ammo of (whatever) every year then the cost of just getting another stick or whatever likely isn't a big deal anyways, or you already have a few different rifles to shoot.

-Mike

My son has a Savage Scout 308. Would you use steel case ammo like Wolf or Tulammo?
Called the mfg and as I expected they said they don't recommend it. So, I'm asking the experts here.

Thanks
A lot of steel cased ammo is bimetal jacket (steel that is copper washed). I would not put it through a fancy rifle with a hand lapped bore. It’s a bit harder on bores.

For a Savage for which barrels are reasonably cheap and easily swapped I would have no concern.
It isn't the casing and a slightly higher probability of a malfunction at the range that bothers me.
It's the quality of the projectile. I just cant bring myself to shoot it in a quality gun I plan on keeping long term.

Granted this test was extreme but it shows the cheaper bullets wear barrels faster.
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test

"As indicated by accuracy testing, the steel cased/bimetal jacketed ammunition caused accelerated wear to the inside of their respective bores.
The barrel of the Federal carbine had plenty of life left after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire.
At the end of the test, the chrome lining of the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels was almost gone from the throat forward. The barrels had effectively become smoothbores, with the rifling near the muzzles acting only as a mild suggestion on the projectiles."
Wolf now offers a 100% copper jacketed bullet - no bimetal in 308. Slightly more money but if it doesn't wear out a barrel as fast, maybe worth the slight bump in cost??

Tula has their range friendly 223 and 7.62x39 which uses a brass jacket. Wolf and Red Army x39 uses copper.

Back
Top Bottom