• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stay away from Universal Firearms in Wake Field

These people are crooks. They sold me an AR15 that turn out to be non-complaint in Mass. Bushmaster had sent the wrong model. I had the rifle taken by local police who were cool about the mistake. Instead of making a big deal out of it, they gave the rifle back to them on the condition that I would recieve my money back. Well, these people have ducked and dodged me in every way possible. They have now began to threaten me. Just a word of caution. Everyone enjoy your Labor Day weekend...... [grin]

These people are crooks. They sold me an AR15 that turn out to be non-complaint in Mass. Bushmaster had sent the wrong model. I had the rifle taken by local police who were cool about the mistake. Instead of making a big deal out of it, they gave the rifle back to them on the condition that I would recieve my money back. Well, these people have ducked and dodged me in every way possible. They have now began to threaten me. Just a word of caution. Everyone enjoy your Labor Day weekend...... [grin]

Let's get this story straight as it's a little confusing as you've laid it out.

First, do you live in Massachusetts or RI?

I am very curious as to how the police became aware that your rifle was non compliant. How did you end up in a situation where they were giving it a close up inspection?

No details means, probably the guy refused to sell him something for good reason, like the guy doesn't have a MA LTC....

Gee, he's gone 4 whole hours without responding to your request for details. That's definitely proof that something suspicious is going on. Or maybe, since it's Friday night starting off a three day weekend, the guy's got a life and isn't sitting at his keyboard like we are. Lighten up guys. Maybe there's something here and maybe there isn't. After all, if he's a Mass resident, he can still legally purchase long arms from a RI dealer. I'm content to wait to see what develops.

Ken

http://www.universalfirearms.com/ is in Wakefield, RI.

I'm guessing the poster is a MA resident.

Not sure what would induce the police to confiscate it unless he was pulled over by the police and happened to show it to them.

Assuming that he's a MA resident, and he bought it in RI, could it have been when he filled out the FA-10 back home? Do they examine the gun for that, or do they just go by a receipt or something?

Oh come on now,why should this group wait and find out more info?Let's get a rope like we always do and hang the bugger.Sometimes the posters in here remind me of Nazi Germany crossed with Salem Mass. during the witch trials.

Gee, he's gone 4 whole hours without responding to your request for details. That's definitely proof that something suspicious is going on. Or maybe, since it's Friday night starting off a three day weekend, the guy's got a life and isn't sitting at his keyboard like we are.

[Heavy sigh]

Well, there you go again, Ken.

Ruining a perfectly good conspiracy theory with rational analysis.

[wink]

http://www.universalfirearms.com/ is in Wakefield, RI.

I'm guessing the poster is a MA resident.

Not sure what would induce the police to confiscate it unless he was pulled over by the police and happened to show it to them.

Yep, I'm a Mass resident with a valid LTC-A. Had filed an FA-10 yet. The Cheif of Police in town I purchased the rifle from called the Cheif of Police in my town as a "Courteous" to inform him that a resident had purchased an AR15. The local PD gave me a call telling me this and wanted to take a look. I glady obliged. It ultimately came down to a flash suppressor issue. When I ordered the rifle to begin with one came in that was Non-Mass complaint and was sent back. When the other came in I was told it was ok by folks at the shop. Taking their word for it I went about my way. That being said, this happened sometime ago. A good year plus. Which is why Im jumping on them about this. It's not like I gave them a week to give me my money. They have had ample time and now Im getting no response other then threats. At the time I didnt know as much about the AWB laws as I do now and the "Suppressor" really turned out to be a muzzle break. So, yes it is confusing.

And yes, Wake Field, RI

Last edited:
The Cheif of Police in town I purchased the rifle from called the Cheif of Police in my town as a "Courteous" to inform him that a resident had purchased an AR15.

Was it a "courtesy call", or part of the background check required by § 11-47-35.2?

DSoM11 said:
the "Suppressor" really turned out to be a muzzle break.

So what's the problem? Was it not permanently attached?

I still don't get it....why would the Chief of Wakefield RI even KNOW about this transaction ??? Who told him about it...and WHY?

Oh come on now,why should this group wait and find out more info?Let's get a rope like we always do and hang the bugger.Sometimes the posters in here remind me of Nazi Germany crossed with Salem Mass. during the witch trials.
+1. Wow, I'm finally agreeing with something that pbearperry posted! What's next, a candidate for VP that I can vote FOR and not against? Oh, wait...

Yep, I'm a Mass resident with a valid LTC-A. Had filed an FA-10 yet. The Cheif of Police in town I purchased the rifle from called the Cheif of Police in my town as a "Courteous" to inform him that a resident had purchased an AR15. The local PD gave me a call telling me this and wanted to take a look. I glady obliged.
Mistake #1.

It ultimately came down to a flash suppressor issue. When I ordered the rifle to begin with one came in that was Non-Mass complaint and was sent back. When the other came in I was told it was ok by folks at the shop. Taking their word for it I went about my way. That being said, this happened sometime ago. A good year plus. Which is why Im jumping on them about this. It's not like I gave them a week to give me my money. They have had ample time and now Im getting no response other then threats. At the time I didnt know as much about the AWB laws as I do now and the "Suppressor" really turned out to be a muzzle break. So, yes it is confusing.
Mistake #2 - learn the laws so you don't get caught by them. The police are NOT your friend and usually will not care if you made a mistake from ignorance.

That said, have you filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? That'd be my next move. The move after that would be to file a claim in Small Claims Court.

I still don't get it....why would the Chief of Wakefield RI even KNOW about this transaction ??? Who told him about it...and WHY?

§ 11-47-35.2

In Rhode Island, any firearm purchase (FFL or FTF) is preceded by an application 7 days beforehand, which is forwarded to the local police chief for a background check.

The reason the Wake Field police contacted my local PD wasn't for any legal reason. It was because it was an AR15 and the stigma they carry. And it wasn't until after the fact that I realized the suppressor was a muzzle break. So, chalk that one up to ignorance on my part. But the issue is they are not living up to their part of the bargain. The rifle was given over to them in good faith by my local PD, who could have handled this matter much more severely. It was more or less treated like it never happened, so any legal recourse could get alittle muddy. I'll never see anything back from this. But I can tell people what they can expect from this establishment. That's about all I can do at this point.

..At the time I didnt know as much about the AWB laws as I do now and the "Suppressor" really turned out to be a muzzle break.

And it wasn't until after the fact that I realized the suppressor was a muzzle break.
You got something backwards here. Muzzle brakes are allowed if permanently attached, flash suppressors are not.

That said, it sounds like this shop took your money and has not delivered a compliant gun or returned your money. If so, then the BBB and small claims court recommendations are still quite valid regardless of how the police handled the matter: They have your money and you do not have the contracted-for product.

You got something backwards here. Muzzle brakes are allowed if permanently attached, flash suppressors are not.

That said, it sounds like this shop took your money and has not delivered a compliant gun or returned your money. If so, then the BBB and small claims court recommendations are still quite valid regardless of how the police handled the matter: They have your money and you do not have the contracted-for product.

What I meant was that the issue of Non-Compliance was that it was thought to be a Suppressor. After the fact and I realized that it was actually a muzzle break and that it should have never been taken from me anyway. I may have worded that alittle confusing.

If I were you I'd contact a shop in Mass and ask if they will allow you to transfer it from the shop in RI to a Mass shop (FFL to FFL). Then the mass shop could swap out the non-Mass compliant parts, if any, and make the transfer to you. The Mass shop should be able to give you the cost over the phone provided you can tell them the exact model you purchased. Look through the shop reviews here and pick one or maybe a shop reading this thread will speak up.

There's no reason why a RI shop can't do this very same thing but it sounds like they're incompetent and if I were you'd I'd get it out of their hands ASAP.

Got it. Good luck. I still think the best action at this point is legal action. Do you know where the firearm is at this point?

What I meant was that the issue of Non-Compliance was that it was thought to be a Suppressor. After the fact and I realized that it was actually a muzzle break and that it should have never been taken from me anyway. I may have worded that alittle confusing.

So, just to be clear, the shop sold you a compliant weapon (with a muzzle brake) and the cops confiscated it because they were too dumb to tell a brake from an FS??? How is the shop at fault? It sounds like the police illegally confiscated your rifle? Am I right or I misunderstanding what happened to you? Also, you pointed out that curtsey call was not for any legal reason, it sounds like harassment to me. If I purchased an AR-15 and got a call from my PD asking for a voluntary inspection, I would be furious. As bad as things are, we aren’t quite at the point of random, illegal searches/inspections.

Again, the police had no right (AFAIK) to ask you to bring in the rifle for "inspection." This sounds a pretty blatant violation of the law.

If indeed you bought a legal rifle, the police contacted you for no reason other than the fact that you had purchase an AR-15, and they illegally confiscated your rifle, you need to contact GOAL ASAP and get a lawyer immediately.

If I were you I'd contact a shop in Mass and ask if they will allow you to transfer it from the shop in RI to a Mass shop (FFL to FFL). Then the mass shop could swap out the non-Mass compliant parts, if any, and make the transfer to you. The Mass shop should be able to give you the cost over the phone provided you can tell them the exact model you purchased. Look through the shop reviews here and pick one or maybe a shop reading this thread will speak up. There's no reason why a RI shop can't do this very same thing but it sounds like they're incompetent and if I were you'd I'd get it out of their hands ASAP.
This was some time ago. It's not like I gave them a week to make good and then jump all over them. Its been well over a year, damn near two. I've been told the ATF came and got since it was considered an illegal transport over state lines. If that were true you'd think I'd have heard from the ATF about it. I've been given the run around, "we'd like to sell it and then give you the money".... never came to any good. Then the ATF story again after that. Then "call back in a few weeks". They've contradicted themselves up and down. Now to a point where the people involved have began hiding behind others who won't give me contact info. I have recently found an indirect contact and came away with some very treatening voice mails, and no number to recontact this person.

So, just to be clear, the shop sold you a compliant weapon (with a muzzle brake) and the cops confiscated it because they were too dumb to tell a brake from an FS??? How is the shop at fault? It sounds like the police illegally confiscated your rifle? Am I right or I misunderstanding what happened to you? Also, you pointed out that curtsey call was not for any legal reason, it sounds like harassment to me. If I purchased an AR-15 and got a call from my PD asking for a voluntary inspection, I would be furious. As bad as things are, we aren’t quite at the point of random, illegal searches/inspections.

Again, the police had no right (AFAIK) to ask you to bring in the rifle for "inspection." This sounds a pretty blatant violation of the law.

If indeed you bought a legal rifle, the police contacted you for no reason other than the fact that you had purchase an AR-15, and they illegally confiscated your rifle, you need to contact GOAL ASAP and get a lawyer immediately.

Yes, after some research the shop did sell me a legal rifle. Everyone involved was told it was illegal in Mass to possess. So my local PD tried to do me a favor in giving the rifle back to them on the grounds that they return my money. They agreed, they got the rifle back and I'm still out $1200 and have no reason to believe I'll ever see it. As for the police taking a look at the rifle. I live in a town where it is VERY hard to get an LTC-A. Near impossible. I didnt want to give them any reason to revoke it. Granted, I could have done a few things very differently. But in the end it boils down to an agreement that wasn't kept and the blatant slaps in the face I've taken. I am still going to pursue this. Will I get anywhere? Not likely.

Hey welcome to the forum BTW!

Lots of details since your first post. I guess your only real recourse is small claims court. Did you go in person and pay for this in RI by check, cash, or charge? Do you have a detailed receipt? It sounds like there was no police report so that's all hearsay.

To start the process you'll want to mail them a letter of demand by certified mail. Ask them to either refund the cost or transfer it to a Mass FFL within 30 days. After no response then you have your lawsuit. Read up on it, Google small claims court and "letter of demand"

To start the process you'll want to mail them a letter of demand by certified mail. Ask them to either refund the cost or transfer it to a Mass FFL within 30 days. After no response then you have your lawsuit. Read up on it, Google small claims court and "letter of demand"

I think he might have a very hard time getting the case resolved in his favor because it's been almost two years since the sale. I'm also wondering if we still haven't gotten the entire story yet.

Back
Top Bottom