state/national parks open carry law

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
going camping for couple of days up in New Hampshire for hiking/fishing etc. I will feel more comfortable if i can have my HK45 and AK47 with me. could anyone please refresh my memory if i can bring my guns with me - as far as i remember correctly starting February 2010 National parks allowing CCW but not sure about NH State parks.
Also, as far a i know firing is prohibited only open carry or cc allowed.
thanks

First of all, make sure you understand the difference between National Parks and National Forests. Not all US-owned public land is national park.

In fact, most of it is not. Most of it is USFS national forest (USDA), USACOE land, or Bureau of Reclamation land (DoI).

If you are on national forest land, the only rules you need to worry about are state laws. USDA pretty much is mute on the subject of firearms. In fact, unless you happen to be near buildings and roads, you can shoot all you want on USFS land so long as your are safe.

Also, and I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, be careful that there might be a distinction between an Open Carried handgun and long-gun. I know you can open carry a rifle in New Hampshire, but there may be hunting or presence-of-ammunition issues that are different.

Also, and I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, be careful that there might be a distinction between an Open Carried handgun and long-gun. I know you can open carry a rifle in New Hampshire, but there may be hunting or presence-of-ammunition issues that are different.

I am not sure about rifles due to the various hunting laws (though you would probably be safe, still, check the laws yourself), but if all you have is a handgun, you should be fine. Just make sure that unless you have an NH pistol revolver license that you keep the pistol unloaded while in a motor vehicle (this includes four wheelers and motorcycles).

If you are carrying any weapon in the NH woods and you have ammo, you better have a hunting license because weapon + ammo = hunting as far as the wardens and the judge will think. You do not need to possess game to be cited. I suppose if you had a baseball bat they could cite you for illegal hunting, but I also suspect that the judge would want some smelly dead thing to prove that one.

If you have a NH valid hunting license, you can carry open. You need a NH LTC to carry concealed where legal, or loaded in a vehicle.

If you are carrying any weapon in the NH woods and you have ammo, you better have a hunting license because weapon + ammo = hunting as far as the wardens and the judge will think. You do not need to possess game to be cited. I suppose if you had a baseball bat they could cite you for illegal hunting, but I also suspect that the judge would want some smelly dead thing to prove that one.

If you have a NH valid hunting license, you can carry open.

<sigh>

Incorrect on so many different levels.

If you have a NH valid hunting license, you can carry open. You need a NH LTC to carry concealed where legal, or loaded in a vehicle.

So I'm gonna be hunting that deer from 200 yards with my 1911? I have enough trouble hitting the target accurately at 50 yards with a hand gun, let alone 200. Not to mention a handgun's inherent accuracy is severely diminished at 200 yards. Unless your toting a hand cannon around like EC's 500S&W, a warden would be hard pressed to prove your hunting with a 1911 or equivalent self defense pistol.

Did you even read NH RSA 159? No where does it mention anything about open carry requiring a license (hint: there is none). You must be a MA transplant or something cause NH has none of that BS.

Back
Top Bottom