• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HB1636 signed into law

There is no minimum age in New Hampshire for possessing a firearm. However, only a parent, grandparent or legal guardian can transfer a gun to someone under 18.
Yeah, he asked about carrying a firearm, not transferring one.

I'm still baffled by how simple reading the laws here are. I've spent way too much time in MA, and it's really corroded my brain.

Question:

Vermont law says children under 16 can't carry a firearm without parental approval.

NH has no such age mentioned. It does say you need to be 18 to be granted a P&R license.

Am I to assume that it would be legal to hand my child, at any age, a pistol and leave him/her unsupervised? I understand I'd be liable for any stupidity that giving a 4 year old a 1911 would cause - but what about a trustworthy 10 or 14 year old?

I see nothing that says this is illegal - by the piece of MA in my brain is amazed at such common sense.
Can you point out where in RSA 159:6, License to Carry, that you need to be 18 to be granted a P&R License?

Last edited:
Just handing one to someone under 18, that is not a child or grandchild or a legal guardian (thereof) - is illegal. If that criteria is met, then yes you can carry in NH at any age. Children are prohibited from carrying where they are students.

Just handing one to someone under 18, that is not a child or grandchild or a legal guardian (thereof) - is illegal. If that criteria is met, then yes you can carry in NH at any age. Children are prohibited from carrying where they are students.
Jesus Christ, you leave out a lot (on purpose?) when you make these pronouncements.

There's the actual text:

159:12 Sale to Minors. –
I. Any person who shall sell, barter, hire, lend or give to any minor any pistol or revolver shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
II. This section shall not apply to:
(a) Fathers, mothers, grandparents, guardians, administrators or executors who give a revolver to their children or wards or to heirs to an estate.
(b) Individuals instructing minors in the safe use of firearms during a supervised firearms training program, provided the minor's parent or legal guardian has granted the minor permission to participate in such program.
(c) Licensed hunters accompanying a minor while lawfully taking wildlife.
(d) Individuals supervising minors using firearms during a lawful shooting event or activity.

So, "just handing one to someone under 18...is illegal" is just factually wrong. There are plenty of opportunities to "hand one to someone under 18." Even to someone under 16, with provisos.

644:15 Furnishing Arms to Persons Under 16. –
I. Any person who shall sell, barter, hire, lend, or give to any person under the age of 16 years any cartridges or shotshells suitable for discharging in any rifle, pistol, revolver, or shotgun shall be guilty of a violation.
II. This section shall not apply to:
(a) Fathers, mothers, grandparents, or guardians of such children.
(b) Individuals instructing such children in the safe use of firearms during a supervised firearms training program, provided the child's parent or legal guardian has granted the child permission to participate in such program.
(c) Licensed hunters accompanying such children while lawfully taking wildlife.
(d) Individuals supervising such children using firearms during a lawful shooting event or activity.

Last edited:
Can you point out where in RSA 159:6, License to Carry, that you need to be 18 to be granted a P&R License?
No I can’t. But on the NH State Police site I get this link Code of Administrative Rules which is for non-residents, I'd think that there would be a similar provision for resident licenses, even though I can't find one.

PART Saf-C 2103 DENIAL OF LICENSE

Saf-C 2103.01 Suitable Person.
(a) A license to carry pistols and revolvers shall be denied if it is determined that the applicant is not a suitable person to be licensed.
(b) A license shall be denied if any of the following factors exist:
(1) The reasons for which an applicant was denied a prior license;
(2) The applicant was convicted of a felony;
(3) The applicant is a drug abuser;
(4) The applicant had a prior mental health problem, as defined in RSA 135-C:2, X;
(5) The applicant is under the age of 18;
(6) The applicant was convicted of a misdemeanor involving drugs or violence and the conviction date is less than 20 years from the date of application; or
(7) Any other evidence that would indicate the applicant is not suitable for licensing.
Source. #1911, eff 1-11-82; ss by #2608, eff 1-31-84 EXPIRED: 1-31-90 (formerly Saf-P 503.01)
New. #4891, eff 7-31-90; ss by #6269, eff 6-25-96; ss by #8104, INTERIM, eff 6-25-04, EXPIRES: 12-22-04; ss by #8189, eff 10-15-04; ss by #10380, eff 7-17-13
Saf-C 2103.02 False Statements. The application shall be denied and the applicant subject to punishment under RSA 641:3, if it is determined that the applicant intentionally made a false statement in response to any question on form DSSP 260.
Source. #1911, eff 1-11-82; ss by #2608, eff 1-31-84 EXPIRED: 1-31-90 (formerly Saf-P 503.02)
New. #4891, eff 7-31-90; ss by #6269, eff 6-25-96; ss by #8104, INTERIM, eff 6-25-04, EXPIRES: 12-22-04; ss by #8189, eff 10-15-04; ss by #10380, eff 7-17-13

I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong and only outsiders need to be 18 to have a license.

No I can’t. But on the NH State Police site I get this link Code of Administrative Rules which is for non-residents, I'd think that there would be a similar provision for resident licenses, even though I can't find one.

I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong and only outsiders need to be 18 to have a license.
The reason I ask is I personally know of one person under 18 who was granted a P&RL, and when my daughter was under 18, my FFL (who also knew the under-18 person) was always pushing me to get her P&RL.

I noticed the Code of Admin Rules you linked still has the requirement of non-residents to produce a resident license, which the Court ruled extra-legal years ago. Interesting they never updated the Rules accordingly.

My kids are 10 and 14, so I think I'll wait a bit before pushing the envelope for no reason. But I think that I might give this a try when my daughter gets her driver's license.
She's already asked for a pistol when she gets my truck, and of course I've agreed. I've been comforted knowing there is a gun in the vehicle more times than I've been comforted by a spare tire, and I'm no where near as small and cute as she is. A valid permit would work better than her just saying "my Dad says I can have a gun because it's legal" at a traffic stop.

I don't think I am going to push my kids (3 and 7 currently) to ask for permission to exercise their rights, I don't want them getting in that habit so young. If they decide they want to pursue that on their own, I will entertain that idea, but Constitutional Carry covers them until that conversation comes up.

My kids are 10 and 14, so I think I'll wait a bit before pushing the envelope for no reason. But I think that I might give this a try when my daughter gets her driver's license.
She's already asked for a pistol when she gets my truck, and of course I've agreed. I've been comforted knowing there is a gun in the vehicle more times than I've been comforted by a spare tire, and I'm no where near as small and cute as she is. A valid permit would work better than her just saying "my Dad says I can have a gun because it's legal" at a traffic stop.
Oh, I don't disagree. I wasn't advocating for it. I didn't support my daughter getting hers until she was over 18. Just commenting on the actual law.

Oh, I don't disagree. I wasn't advocating for it. I didn't support my daughter getting hers until she was over 18. Just commenting on the actual law.
It's different in MA. When my kid was 15 I told her "You'll be getting your driving license soon. I will not keep my car sanitized of ammo, so you will not be able to borrow it unless you have an FID. I'll pay the fee for it and get you set up with the class. I will not be bugging you, this is an offer, not a request."

Months later when she was coming up on 16 she asked "When are we doing the FID thing?" and we then took care of it.

I'm just happy for all the YouTube "let's try and destroy this HiPoint" videos that are out there. My daughter has determined through her research (not just the videos, lol) that those ugly guns are pretty reliable and damn near indestructible.
That's the gun she wants for her truck gun. How can I refuse that request? LOL Normally her taste is like mine and runs to SAAs and 1911s - I'm getting off cheap in this deal.

Back
Top Bottom