State legalized marijuana + gun registration = Confiscation

In Colorado, the dispensaries take cash only, most have an ATM inside or nearby. The state has been trying to set up credit unions or similar bank like operations in order to simplify the banking issues for the dispensaries (both medical and recreational) but it's been problematic based on federal law and the uncertainty of which way the legal winds may blow. By necessity there are games played with business entities to handle the cash and the bills (taxes, rent, utilities, etc).

Some place in Colorado don't allow recreational sales, only medical sales- Colorado Springs being the most notable example. Pot sold to medical card holders is taxed at a much lower rate than recreational sales. Medical only stores are very strict in that only those persons who have a medical card are allowed into the shop. All pot stores in Colorado have two parts- the front room where your id is checked (over 21 or a medical card depending on the store) then you are allowed into the room where the pot is kept and you can make your purchase.

Our sheriff does have a warning for those applying for a CCW that a medical pot card is a statutory prohibitor for firearms ownership and for a CCW. For your CCW the state does run a background check, but I don't know if they cross reference the medical card database.

The electronic 4473 my LGS uses does state that pot use is federally illegal despite what state law says. In addition to the federal brady check, Colorado does a state records check on firearm purchases, but again I don't know if they cross check the medical card database.

Besides the obvious trapping the unwary, the big deal here is that Hawaii is setting a precedent. There are apparently 29 states that have legalized the use of marijuana. Every single one of them can do the same thing that Hawaii just did if this holds up.

I'm not getting into any sort of argument/debate about whether smoking marijuana is good, bad or ugly - I don't care. If the state legalized it, then they use that legalization to take away your gun rights - it's just obscene.

Besides the obvious trapping the unwary, the big deal here is that Hawaii is setting a precedent. There are apparently 29 states that have legalized the use of marijuana. Every single one of them can do the same thing that Hawaii just did if this holds up.

I'm not getting into any sort of argument/debate about whether smoking marijuana is good, bad or ugly - I don't care. If the state legalized it, then they use that legalization to take away your gun rights - it's just obscene.
It's not that the state can do it. According to Hawaii law, the police were required to do this because Hawaii law requires the enforcement of federal law. The prohibition of ownership by those with marijuana cards is settled in the 9th district. Unless the Supreme Court wants to rule that the Federal law doesn't apply (and why would they?), this won't be overturned.

In MA the dispensaries I know of only accept cash. I don’t have a card but someone close to me does. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when they allow recreational sales, I’m guessing they’ll be checking ID. As long as they’re not recording ID then we should be ok.

It's not that the state can do it. According to Hawaii law, the police were required to do this because Hawaii law requires the enforcement of federal law. The prohibition of ownership by those with marijuana cards is settled in the 9th district. Unless the Supreme Court wants to rule that the Federal law doesn't apply (and why would they?), this won't be overturned.

If Hawaii is required to enforce Federal law then they’d be forced to shut down the MMJ dispensaries and make them illegal.

Really? None I have been to have ever scanned mine and I have been to quite a few). If one ever scanned my ID I wouldn’t return.
It happens. I cant remember where it happened to me, but I dont drink much either. The person asks for the ID and just puts the barcode under a separate, circular looking scanner sitting on the counter. Thats how I would imagine dispensaries would go. Why not?

Yankee spirits in Sturbridge scans your ID. At least they used to. The first time caught me of guard. She was to quick and scanned it before I knew what happened. The second time I specifically said not to scan it and she did anyway. I haven’t been back in years.

In MA the dispensaries I know of only accept cash. I don’t have a card but someone close to me does. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when they allow recreational sales, I’m guessing they’ll be checking ID. As long as they’re not recording ID then we should be ok.

I have no dog in this fight, but I did attend a couple of local gov't meetings on permitting a medical MJ dispensary and learned a bit about them. AFAIK, yes it is cash only and requires a ton of security, cameras, documentation of everything and every step in the process/sale. This leads me to believe that buyer info will be required to be logged as well to meet all the laws/regs associated with running such an operation.

I have no dog in this fight, but I did attend a couple of local gov't meetings on permitting a medical MJ dispensary and learned a bit about them. AFAIK, yes it is cash only and requires a ton of security, cameras, documentation of everything and every step in the process/sale. This leads me to believe that buyer info will be required to be logged as well to meet all the laws/regs associated with running such an operation.

I have an RFP for the support for the infrastructure for one in front of me. The POS system scans ID's. Not sure if it saves the image to their cloud storage or not.

I have an RFP for the support for the infrastructure for one in front of me. The POS system scans ID's. Not sure if it saves the image to their cloud storage or not.

Thanks guys. I'm glad someone close to me has a card then. And yes, the security is tight w/ cameras, double entry doors w/ buzzers, etc. It's a bit nerve wracking because anyone who knows what the place is knows people going there are carrying cash and anyone leaving will be carrying MJ.

The problem in Hawaii isn't legal marijuana, it's total gun registration.
It is not quite total. Guns possessed before the system was started in the 80s are legally unregistered. When the last legal pre registration gun owner dies in 40 or 50 years they will have total registration of legal guns. However, lots of people move into the state with guns or buy guns out of state and never bother to take them down to the police station.

The dispensaries are in a hard place as any armed person (employee or contractor) is at risk of being federally charged for using a gun in furtherance of a federal drug crime.

Back
Top Bottom