State firearms testing

Does anyone have any idea on how long the testing period is for new handguns once submitted to the testing authority. There are 2 pistols that have come out that I would like to purchase they just hopefully have to pass state/AG scrutiny.

Does anyone have any idea on how long the testing period is for new handguns once submitted to the testing authority. There are 2 pistols that have come out that I would like to purchase they just hopefully have to pass state/AG scrutiny.

1) MA does not test pistols. The manufacturer hires an independent testing company to perform the testing. Then the manufacturer submits the report from that testing company to the Executive Office of Public Safety. EOPS releases a new Roster every quarter or so.

But this all requires the manufacturer to decide to spend the money to have their gun tested. Many don't bother, as they consider the MA market to be too small to justify the expense.

2) The AG does whatever she wants whenever she wants, with no rhyme or reason. In addition, the AG doesn't every say that a pistol meets her regulations. She only threatens lawsuits when she decides a pistol doesn't meet her regulations.

In other words, no one has any idea when or if a new pistol will end up on the Roster. Or to put it even more simply: don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
which 2? and you might need to get creative.
The Ruger MK IV and SR 1911 in 9mm. Yes I know 9mm 1911 is a sacrilege but I want one anyways.
Didn't know that an independent lab tested the handgun/pistols and then submitted report to the state,you learn something new everyday .

The Ruger MK IV and SR 1911 in 9mm. Yes I know 9mm 1911 is a sacrilege but I want one anyways.
Didn't know that an independent lab tested the handgun/pistols and then submitted report to the state,you learn something new everyday .

The MK IV does not have a LCI which I believe is a MA requirement so it will be a long time before you can get that one.

The MK IV does not have a LCI which I believe is a MA requirement so it will be a long time before you can get that one.

Yeah, I was about to mention this. Unless they are building a MA specific model (unlikely), we are stuck with the Mark III. It's really too bad because that take down button looks like way less of a hassle.

According to the fellas at Four Seasons in Woburn, MA will never see the Mark IV version. That was pretty depressing news for sure. Of course having never put hands on a IV, can't say what is different internally besides the very much improved take down system. One would think that the LCI could be tooled into the IV unless internal function has changed so much that a whole new design is required for the LCI.

Having said that, I never give up hope! Love my Mark III 22/45.

Peter

Why not just buy an sr1911 in .45 and buy a 9mm top end and mag

For starters the feed ramp angle is different I believe and the ejector is different. Buying a complete slide with a barrel isn't that cheap either,I suspect that the cost of the slide with the internals and a 9 mm barrel would run almost the cost of the SR1911 in 9 mm.

Why not just buy an sr1911 in .45 and buy a 9mm top end and mag

It doesn't really work that way. Where do you get teh 9mm top end? Who is going to fit it? I agree that with the way Ruger makes 1911s, a 9mm top end would probably just slide right on and run great.

But SR1911 top ends aren't for sale anywhere. (unlike Glock stuff, where top ends are all over gunbroker) And if you buy another top end, then it needs to be fitted. But even worse, it needs to be fitted in a way that won't screw up the fit of the original .45 slide. (which excludes lapping)

Don

As Drgrant says, "stop worrying about the list"....

What list.

This would be an appropriate time to remind you all that per the ATF, if you have a weekend or vacation home in another state you are considered to be a resident of that state when you are up there. Even if you do not have a local drivers license or carry permit. Even if you only spend a few weekends a year and 2 weeks in the summer up there.

If you own a summer place, it is perfectly legal for you to buy whatever firearms you want up there. If its an off list handgun (Glock, Mk IV, fancy 1911, etc) , then it is also perfectly legal for you to bring it back to MA. Just FA10 it as a registration when you bring it in, and leave the high caps in NH.

Don

Last edited:
What list.

This would be an appropriate time to remind you all that per the ATF, if you have a weekend or vacation home in another state you are considered to be a resident of that state when you are up there. Even if you do not have a local drivers license or carry permit. Even if you only spend a few weekends a year and 2 weeks in the summer up there.

If you own a summer place, it is perfectly legal for you to buy whatever firearms you want up there. If its an off list handgun (Glock, Mk IV, fancy 1911, etc) , then it is also perfectly legal for you to bring it back to MA. Just FA10 it as a registration when you bring it in, and leave the high caps in NH.

Don

I'd imagine the dealer would require some sort of paperwork proving to them that you have residency in that state?

What list.

Don
Wow....just wow. I never knew that if I went up to my summer house in NH I could purchase a handgun at a local shop and then bring it back home with me to Mass. I guess I know where I'm going this weekend.....

I'd imagine the dealer would require some sort of paperwork proving to them that you have residency in that state?

The ATF 4473, retail transfer of a firearm form in the instructions for question 18b (acceptable proof of residency address) explicitly allow the use of a tax bill in the state in question along with an out of state drivers license to be used to prove residency and identity.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Wow....just wow. I never knew that if I went up to my summer house in NH I could purchase a handgun at a local shop and then bring it back home with me to Mass. I guess I know where I'm going this weekend.....

Yes. 100% legal and correct. Like I said above, you will need a tax bill to prove residence. But that in combination with your MA LTC or DL is all you need. Again. Google ATF 4473. You will get a PDF. Go to the instructions for questions 2 and 18b and you will see all you need.

Don

Last edited:
Instructions on form 4473 for question 2:

2. If the transferee/buyer has two States of residence, the transferee/buyer should list his/her current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if the transferee/buyer is purchasing a firearm while staying
at his/her weekend home in State X, he/she should list the address in State X in response to question 2).

Instructions for question 18B

if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver’s license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government- issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee’s/buyer’s name and current residence address.

ATF FAQ

https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download

ATF has previously addressed the eligibility of individuals to acquire firearms who maintain residences in more than one State. Federal regulations at 27 CFR 478.11 (definition of State of Residence), Example 2, clarify that a U.S. citizen with homes in two States may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. See also ATF Publication 5300.4 (2005), Question and Answer B12, page 179. Similarly, in ATF Ruling 80-21 (ATFB 1980-4, 25), ATF held that, during the time college students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off- campus location, they are considered residents of the State where the on-campus or off- campus housing is located.

Last edited:
According to the fellas at Four Seasons in Woburn, MA will never see the Mark IV version. That was pretty depressing news for sure. Of course having never put hands on a IV, can't say what is different internally besides the very much improved take down system. One would think that the LCI could be tooled into the IV unless internal function has changed so much that a whole new design is required for the LCI.

Having said that, I never give up hope! Love my Mark III 22/45.

Peter

For those who care about the list, two models of the Mark IV are on the October-posted EOPSS list:
Mark IV Target (Model # 40159)
Mark IV Hunter (Model # 40160)

1) MA does not test pistols. The manufacturer hires an independent testing company to perform the testing. Then the manufacturer submits the report from that testing company to the Executive Office of Public Safety. EOPS releases a new Roster every quarter or so.

But this all requires the manufacturer to decide to spend the money to have their gun tested. Many don't bother, as they consider the MA market to be too small to justify the expense.

2) The AG does whatever she wants whenever she wants, with no rhyme or reason. In addition, the AG doesn't every say that a pistol meets her regulations. She only threatens lawsuits when she decides a pistol doesn't meet her regulations.

In other words, no one has any idea when or if a new pistol will end up on the Roster. Or to put it even more simply: don't hold your breath.

I thought the guns were tested by Annie Dookhan.

Back
Top Bottom