• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starter Pistol Laws in Mass???

Billy2

Instructor
NES Member
Do you need a permit for a starter pistol and blanks in Mass? I tried to do a search but did not find anything.

Thanks

Bill

I have a signal cannon. No permit needed for the cannon. Good luck getting 10g black powder blanks w/o an FID

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just called the licinsing board in Chelsea and they said you need a ltc for a starter pistol.

Just called the licinsing board in Chelsea and they said you need a ltc for a starter pistol.

From Glidden's 17th Edition (he's up to 20th Edition now, so may have suffered from a "re-interpretation" since then), pg. 63, Notes on MGL C. 140 S. 129C

Blanks for Starter Pistols:​
[FONT=LKAOMG+Arial][FONT=LKAOMG+Arial]Blank ammunition for starter pistols that are capable of fitting and firing [/FONT][/FONT]in an actual firearm are not exempt under this section and require an FID Card to possess. A blank starter gun whose barrel is not bored from one end to the other is exempt from licensing requirements. If the starter pistol does have a barrel that is completely bored through, the State Police Ballistic Lab has determined that such guns are considered firearms as they may be converted to fire a blank that causes a projectile to be discharged from the gun. Such firearms would require an LTC.​

Good luck getting 10g black powder blanks w/o an FID

***points to NH***
3556880-197962-man-pointing-right.jpg

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised being MA that it is like this now, but when I was around 10, I bought my first pistol (not counting the cap type), which was a starter revolver that used .22 blanks. Not sure what happened to it, but I had a lot of fun with that as a kid.

Len, Taking that one step further, one would also need a FID or maybe a LTC, to possess and use the powder actived charges for a "Ramset" or "Powder Activated" Nail driver for driving nails into conrete or steel.

Don't give these idiots any more ideas! Pretty soon I'll need to show my LTC at Home Depot with that kind of talk.[laugh]

Len, Taking that one step further, one would also need a FID or maybe a LTC, to possess and use the powder actived charges for a "Ramset" or "Powder Activated" Nail driver for driving nails into conrete or steel.

Joe, logically yes, but they did cover that in an exemption in MGL C. 140 S. 129C (a):

Signaling devices and industrial ammunition​
[FONT=LKAOEH+TimesNewRoman][FONT=LKAOEH+TimesNewRoman](a) [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=LKAOBC+TimesNewRoman][FONT=LKAOBC+TimesNewRoman]Any device used exclusively for signaling or distress use and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission, or for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition;
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

from Ron's Notes:

Blanks for Stud Guns:​
[FONT=LKAOMG+Arial][FONT=LKAOMG+Arial]Stud guns used by builders and the blanks that fire the studs into metal, concrete, etc., are exempted (a). [/FONT][/FONT]​

I recall in the late 1970s and 1980s . . . I'm pretty sure that you did need an FID to buy stud gun ammo.

Back
Top Bottom