Standoff in Westminster - man with AK47 shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about this.

I am sure that everyone is curious but you may want to be very discreet about releasing information. There was another thread here recently about a similar police shooting in Bristol (?) CT that became rather heated. A relative of the deceased kept saying that the deceased was a good guy and took exception to some comments about the situation.

^^ Good advice right there.

No talk of an AK here, just a handgun.

Sentinel & Enterprise
Posted: 10/26/2009 12:21:55 PM EDT

A Westminster man was killed last night after exchanging gunfire with police, according to a press release just issued by District Attorney Joseph D. Early, Jr.

Michael A. Membrino, 49, of 235 Minott Road in Westminster was pronounced dead at Henry Heywood Hospital in Gardner last night following an incident that began in a Fitchburg bar and ended in gunfire in Westminster, according to the release.

Membrino brandished a handgun while making threats at Partners Pub in Fitchburg. according to witnesses, which lead to an all-points-bulletin being issued and Membrino was located outside his home by the Westminster Police, Early said in the release.

Membrino, who was wearing body armor, initiated an exchange of gunfire with police and retreated toward his home.

At that time, the Massachusetts State Police STOP team, Air Wing, and K9 units provided additional assistance resulting in the discovery of Membrino near the front of his home suffering from a gunshot wound, according to the release.

The incident remains under investigation by State Police Detectives assigned to the Office of the District Attorney.

Read Tuesday's Sentinel & Enterprise for complete coverage of the story.

I am sure that everyone is curious but you may want to be very discreet about releasing information. There was another thread here recently about a similar police shooting in Bristol (?) CT that became rather heated. A relative of the deceased kept saying that the deceased was a good guy and took exception to some comments about the situation.

Noted, but to be honest I don't think I had ever met him before as he was more my mothers cousin. He was about 7 or 8 yrs older than I. I may have met him at a wedding once but that is probably it. The on-line newspapers have been releasing more info as the day goes on, though I'm not sure how long it will take before everything comes out. (meaning stuff that I don't know about yet.)

That guy seemed like he cared more about was how he and his family would look frankly. He did have a point about some of the comments, but he was a bit out there on others. Romokid has been very poised and all of the posters in this thread have responded in kind with respect. I would be surprised if this thread got out of hand.

Here are a few more details from the Sentinel & Enterprise.

WESTMINSTER -- Michael Membrino, the 49-year-old Westminster man killed during a standoff with police Sunday night, died from gunshot wounds to both of his legs, Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early announced on Wednesday.

Membrino, wearing body armor, initiated fire with two Westminster police officers, during the incident that began with him reportedly waving a handgun in a Fitchburg bar and making threats earlier Sunday evening. It ended with a standoff at his home at 235 Minott Road, according to reports.

"Membrino opened fire with a handgun at two Westminster police officers," according to the press release from DA spokesman Timothy Connolly. "Police returned fire and two bullets struck Membrino, one in each leg."

Police returned fire, but did not know if Membrino had been hit, as they believed he was inside the house at the time, according to reports.

"The names of the two police officers who shot at Membrino are not being released at this time," Connolly said.

The Massachusetts State Police STOP Team, Air Wing and K9 units provided assistance.

The Air Wing discovered Membrino by his front door following the exchange of gunfire. No one else was home at the time of the shooting.

The incident remains under investigation by state police detectives, with assistance from the Westminster police, state police crime scene services and ballistics sections.

Membrino, an officer with the state Department of Correction, was seen at Partners' Pub in Fitchburg on Sunday at 7:45 p.m. where, according to witnesses, he made threats while waving a handgun. Westminster police located him outside his home. Membrino was pronounced dead at 10:30 p.m. Sunday at Henry Heywood Memorial Hospital in Gardner.

http://telegram.com/article/20091030/NEWS/910300418/1101

WESTMINSTER — Four years ago, Westminster Police Chief Salvatore J. Albert revoked Michael A. Membrino’s license to carry a firearm after the chief determined he was unsuitable, according to paperwork on file in Gardner District Court.

The revocation was upheld by a Gardner District Court judge. Mr. Membrino, then a correction officer at Gardner state prison, filed a motion for reconsideration in court, but it appears a hearing on the motion was never scheduled.

On Sunday, Mr. Membrino died after he exchanged gunfire with Westminster police.

What is unclear from court records is whether Mr. Membrino ever got back his license to carry since the 2005 revocation.

The chief has not returned multiple phone calls from reporters since the shooting. Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the Worcester district attorney’s office, said yesterday no more information will be distributed on the case as the investigation continues.

Autopsy reports show Mr. Membrino, 49, was shot by police after he exchanged gunfire with them at Mr. Membrino’s house at 235 Minott Road. He died from wounds to his legs.

Court records reveal Chief Albert revoked Mr. Membrino’s license to carry on Aug. 24, 2005. A letter was sent to Mr. Membrino’s home informing him of the chief’s decision. Local police chiefs are the licensing authority for firearms.

Mr. Membrino filed for a judicial review of the license to carry a firearm or to possess and carry a machine gun revocation roughly two months later. A hearing on the matter took place in December 2005.

Details of the incident that led to Chief Albert’s revocation of Mr. Membrino’s license are included in Judge Patrick A. Fox’s written decision to back the chief.

The background includes: On Aug. 20, 2005, Mr. Membrino was driving with his wife on Route 2. Mr. Membrino was off-duty from his job as a correction officer. Another vehicle allegedly approached Mr. Membrino’s vehicle from the rear and the driver came close to Mr. Membrino’s vehicle in an attempt to pass it. The driver of the other vehicle yelled at Mr. Membrino, made a lewd hand gesture, then eventually passed him and left Route. 2.

“During the incident, the petitioner (Mr. Membrino) took out a gun and displayed it in the interior of his vehicle,” Judge Fox wrote. “It cannot be determined from the record before the Court whether the gun was observed by the other operator. The petitioner testified that if he had felt sufficiently threatened by the other operator, he was prepared to use the firearm.”

Mr. Membrino drove to the police station to report the incident.

Judge Fox denied Mr. Membrino’s petition on Dec. 7, 2005, and said Chief Albert had reasonable grounds to determine Mr. Membrino was unsuitable to carry a firearm. The judge said displaying a firearm in a moving vehicle was inappropriate conduct.

In a motion for the judge to reconsider his decision, filed Dec. 30, 2005, Mr. Membrino’s lawyer wrote that Chief Albert admitted during the hearing that it was his opinion the other driver could not have seen the weapon because it was in Mr. Membrino’s lap.

Lawyer George N. Tobia, representing Mr. Membrino, also argued the chief erred in his testimony during the hearing. The chief testified Mr. Membrino could not have seen the other driver bend down because it was dark out. The incident occurred at 12:30 p.m., the lawyer points out. Chief Albert testified he did not mean to say it was dark out, according to the motion for reconsideration.

Mr. Membrino was worried the driver bent down to retrieve a weapon, the lawyer wrote.

At the time of the incident, Mr. Membrino had been employed as a correction officer for 22 years and transported prisoners. Mr. Tobia wrote, “his private life could well be endangered by the presence of inmates who carry a grudge against him, to the peril of himself and his family.”

Mr. Tobia also wrote that Chief Albert checked with Mr. Membrino’s employer and testified his employment would not be affected by the revocation of the license.

“His job status and his ability to work during normal hours and during any overtime hours have been severely affected by the revocation of his license to carry,” Mr. Tobia wrote.

About 8 p.m. Sunday, Mr. Membrino opened fire on police with a handgun, according to authorities. Earlier that night, Mr. Membrino reportedly brandished a handgun at Partners Pub on South Street in Fitchburg. Authorities began searching for him and Westminster police found him outside his home. Mr. Membrino was wearing body armor when he fired at police, authorities said.

Police did not know if Mr. Membrino had been shot during the gunfire exchange. When they approached his home, police found him with gunshot wounds. He was taken to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.

Prison guard shot by cops in MA

A MA prison guard was driving down the road with his wife when another driver quickly pulled up behind him, yelled at him and gave him the finger as he passed him....then leaned over in his vehicle.
The prison guard then took out his pistol and laid it on his lap....nothing happened, but he immediately drove to a police station to report the incident.

The guards Chief of Police in Westminster, MA (the licensing authority) then used that incident to revoke the guards firearms license in MA. The guard took the Chief to court where the Chief lied under oath and said it was too dark out for the guard to see if the man 'leaned over in his car' yet it was about noon time....then lied again and told the judge that the guards job would not be effected. Being a prison guard he said that he was afraid for his life....

Later the guard went kind of nuts and cops shot him dead in his front yard.
He was a 22yr prison guard veteran, and may have also had a machine gun license in MA.
The Chief refuses to answer inquiries into the incident.

Where is all this coming from? First hand or the news? How did anyone lean into a moving car?

What are the events that transpired in the yard when he was shot?

Membrino's gun license had been yanked
2005 decision against Membrino

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]
Add a comment

WESTMINSTER — Four years ago, Westminster Police Chief Salvatore J. Albert revoked Michael A. Membrino’s license to carry a firearm after the chief determined he was unsuitable, according to paperwork on file in Gardner District Court.

The revocation was upheld by a Gardner District Court judge. Mr. Membrino, then a correction officer at Gardner state prison, filed a motion for reconsideration in court, but it appears a hearing on the motion was never scheduled.

On Sunday, Mr. Membrino died after he exchanged gunfire with Westminster police.

What is unclear from court records is whether Mr. Membrino ever got back his license to carry since the 2005 revocation.

The chief has not returned multiple phone calls from reporters since the shooting. Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the Worcester district attorney’s office, said yesterday no more information will be distributed on the case as the investigation continues.

Autopsy reports show Mr. Membrino, 49, was shot by police after he exchanged gunfire with them at Mr. Membrino’s house at 235 Minott Road. He died from wounds to his legs.

Court records reveal Chief Albert revoked Mr. Membrino’s license to carry on Aug. 24, 2005. A letter was sent to Mr. Membrino’s home informing him of the chief’s decision. Local police chiefs are the licensing authority for firearms.

Mr. Membrino filed for a judicial review of the license to carry a firearm or to possess and carry a machine gun revocation roughly two months later. A hearing on the matter took place in December 2005.

Details of the incident that led to Chief Albert’s revocation of Mr. Membrino’s license are included in Judge Patrick A. Fox’s written decision to back the chief.

The background includes: On Aug. 20, 2005, Mr. Membrino was driving with his wife on Route 2. Mr. Membrino was off-duty from his job as a correction officer. Another vehicle allegedly approached Mr. Membrino’s vehicle from the rear and the driver came close to Mr. Membrino’s vehicle in an attempt to pass it. The driver of the other vehicle yelled at Mr. Membrino, made a lewd hand gesture, then eventually passed him and left Route. 2.

“During the incident, the petitioner (Mr. Membrino) took out a gun and displayed it in the interior of his vehicle,” Judge Fox wrote. “It cannot be determined from the record before the Court whether the gun was observed by the other operator. The petitioner testified that if he had felt sufficiently threatened by the other operator, he was prepared to use the firearm.”

Mr. Membrino drove to the police station to report the incident.

Judge Fox denied Mr. Membrino’s petition on Dec. 7, 2005, and said Chief Albert had reasonable grounds to determine Mr. Membrino was unsuitable to carry a firearm. The judge said displaying a firearm in a moving vehicle was inappropriate conduct.

In a motion for the judge to reconsider his decision, filed Dec. 30, 2005, Mr. Membrino’s lawyer wrote that Chief Albert admitted during the hearing that it was his opinion the other driver could not have seen the weapon because it was in Mr. Membrino’s lap.

Lawyer George N. Tobia, representing Mr. Membrino, also argued the chief erred in his testimony during the hearing. The chief testified Mr. Membrino could not have seen the other driver bend down because it was dark out. The incident occurred at 12:30 p.m., the lawyer points out. Chief Albert testified he did not mean to say it was dark out, according to the motion for reconsideration.

Mr. Membrino was worried the driver bent down to retrieve a weapon, the lawyer wrote.

At the time of the incident, Mr. Membrino had been employed as a correction officer for 22 years and transported prisoners. Mr. Tobia wrote, “his private life could well be endangered by the presence of inmates who carry a grudge against him, to the peril of himself and his family.”

Mr. Tobia also wrote that Chief Albert checked with Mr. Membrino’s employer and testified his employment would not be affected by the revocation of the license.

“His job status and his ability to work during normal hours and during any overtime hours have been severely affected by the revocation of his license to carry,” Mr. Tobia wrote.

About 8 p.m. Sunday, Mr. Membrino opened fire on police with a handgun, according to authorities. Earlier that night, Mr. Membrino reportedly brandished a handgun at Partners Pub on South Street in Fitchburg. Authorities began searching for him and Westminster police found him outside his home. Mr. Membrino was wearing body armor when he fired at police, authorities said.

Police did not know if Mr. Membrino had been shot during the gunfire exchange. When they approached his home, police found him with gunshot wounds. He was taken to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.

Kind of puts the lie to the comments in that other thread that the guy who shot the crazy man at MGH should have stopped him by shooting him in the leg.

Kind of puts the lie to the comments in that other thread that the guy who shot the crazy man at MGH should have stopped him by shooting him in the leg.

but, but...on TV when the guy gets shot in the leg/arm/shoulder.......[rolleyes][puke]

I also love how the MSM started this report with an AK being the gun involved.

A MA prison guard was driving down the road with his wife when another driver quickly pulled up behind him, yelled at him and gave him the finger as he passed him....then leaned over in his vehicle.
The prison guard then took out his pistol and laid it on his lap....nothing happened, but he immediately drove to a police station[STRIKE] to report the incident[/STRIKE] and ratted himself out by telling the police that he drew his handgun..

The guard's Chief of Police in Westminster, MA (the licensing authority) then used that incident to revoke the guard's firearms license in MA. The guard took the Chief to court where the Chief lied under oath and said it was too dark out for the guard to see if the man 'leaned over in his car' yet it was about noon time....then lied again and told the judge that the guards job would not be effected. Being a prison guard he said that he was afraid for his life....

Later the guard went kind of nuts and cops shot him dead in his front yard.
He was a 22yr prison guard veteran, and may have also had a machine gun license in MA.
The Chief refuses to answer inquiries into the incident.

I fixed it for you.

unfortunate loss of life,but it sounds like the guy got what he deserved. My Best firiend works at the DOC and worked with the deceased a short time. My Buddies word about this were " Im not surprised at all how this turned out" YMMV

We live in MA, why did he bother reporting it to the police? This kind of crap happens to me at least once a week. I have a little SVT Ford Focus, so people automatically think I will drive like a punk and get on my rear end. I just slow down. They even get pissed if you leave a safe distance between the car in front of you and yourself. I LOVE blocking people who drive unsafe. This may sound evil of me, but the more they get pissed the sooner they stress out their heart and die, making my commute safer.

unfortunate loss of life,but it sounds like the guy got what he deserved. My Best firiend works at the DOC and worked with the deceased a short time. My Buddies word about this were " Im not surprised at all how this turned out" YMMV

I worked with the deceased for several years . And thought I knew him pretty well , at least at work. If your best friend was a stand up guy , he'd keep his pie hole shut. He wouldn't be running it to you.

I have a little SVT Ford Focus, so people automatically think I will drive like a punk and get on my rear end. I just slow down. They even get pissed if you leave a safe distance between the car in front of you and yourself. I LOVE blocking people who drive unsafe.

so not only do you drive like a punk, you drive like a douchebag
get out of the lane you obviously don't belong in

We live in MA, why did he bother reporting it to the police? This kind of crap happens to me at least once a week. I have a little SVT Ford Focus, so people automatically think I will drive like a punk and get on my rear end. I just slow down. They even get pissed if you leave a safe distance between the car in front of you and yourself. I LOVE blocking people who drive unsafe. This may sound evil of me, but the more they get pissed the sooner they stress out their heart and die, making my commute safer.

[thinking] your statement shows you're a punk. [rolleyes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom