• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Standoff in Westminster - man with AK47 shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO127893/

WESTMINSTER, Mass. -- Police responded to a standoff situation in Westminster around 8:00 p.m. Sunday night.

Neighbors say that someone has barricaded themselves into a home and reportedly fired shots into the neighborhood.

Police have not released much information regarding the situation.

Stay with 7News and WHDH.com as more information becomes available.

091025_westminster.jpg

Story developing

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/21422477/detail.html

Police Surround Barricaded Man With Gun
State, Local Police Called To Westminster Home Sunday

POSTED: 10:58 pm EDT October 25, 2009
BOSTON -- State and local police surrounded a Westminster home on Sunday evening where a man was barricaded inside with a gun, state police said.

The tense standoff began sometime before 9 p.m. at a home on Minott Road. State police STOP teams were called to the scene to assist Westminster police.

The armed man was also wearing body armor inside the home, police said.

Latest:

Man injured during standoff in Westminster

WESTMINSTER, Mass. -- A man from Westminster was critically injured during a standoff with police Sunday night.

Police said the unidentified man was found "gravely" wounded outside a home on Minott Road, after he had barricaded himself inside a house.

The suspect fired at a Westminster police officer, according to the Boston Herald.

State police dispatched a special operations team, a canine unit, and a helicopter for the standoff.

Police said the suspect was wearing body armor.

Witnesses said the man was at a bar in Fitchburg earlier in the day with a weapon, and talking about killing his wife or girlfriend.

The suspect was taken to a local hospital.

State police said it's unknown if he was shot by Westminster police, or if he shot himself.

No mention of a firearm.

Sorry to hear that. Do you know any more details? keep us posted

My mom has called me a couple of times today. He was a prison guard and was wearing body armor. He has been having marital problems. His wife was at her brothers house in Townsend when he got home, which is a good thing as he had stated in some bar that he was going to kill her and showed someone there a gun. Another cousin called my mom and said that he had been shot in the head. Don't know how much of it is actual or speculation as there were earlier reports last night that they had called for lifeflight but then canceled it. I didn't know him as he was more my moms cousin than mine. They had been on the phone with his father, but supposedly it happened very quickly that he wasn't called to come up there to help diffuse the situation.

Where on Minott?

I used to live on that road, very good close friend still lives there.

I do have a couple guesses on which house it was.

He lived down across from the pond around house #220, long dirt driveway and the house was set pretty far back from the road.

Small world

Romokid, sorry to hear about your familiy being caught up in this.[shocked][sad2]

The wife and I were returning from a birthday party last night coming from Royalston around 8:30 +/-, heading down rte 2 east bound, we had 2 State police cruisers come up behind us with the blues on, ( they must have come from the Athol barracks) problem was, they are replacing the bridges in Gardner and the two lanes were cut down to one lane for about 3/4 of a mile. They came up behind, right on my bumper, my poor wife was driving my truck, because it was obviously safer that she drive.( I was wrecked, it was my birthday party [smile]). She thought they were after her, for maybe speeding so she slowed to the speed limit from 55 to 45, no way would it had been safe or logical to pull over, they couldn't have gotten by, it's a big truck. I told her to speed it up a little, because they had not thrown on the take down lights, if they had takedowns or a spotlight on the truck I would have presumed it was us, but they seemed they wanted to get buy, not stop us. Any time I have seen people get pulled over at night, first thing to go on is the spot light or takedowns and then the blues, this was not the case here. Lights, no siren.

When the road finally split, they did get by us, my poor wife went to the far right lane ( like a good citizen) but the exit was right their so they zoomed out in front, slammed on their brakes, took a hard right, which caused my wife to slam her brakes, because they were only about 10ft from our bumper when they did the amazing stunt. They took the exit, I took a sh*t [rofl]. My wife, poor thing was shaking, not from thinking she was getting pulled over, but had my truck hit the cruisers, we could have hurt the poor guy real bad, not to mention, it would have scratched my truck.[sad]

At least we know where they were going. Holy crap, small world.

I was listening last night on my scanner. I have both State Police and Westminster Police on my scanner and after the initial call they got cryptic and used tons of codes. I'm not real fluent in "cop lingo" so I didn't understand a lot of what they were saying. I could only listen to one at a time as the MSP are trunked and Westminster is not. I listened to MSP mostly. I did hear the LifeFlight Helicopter called but I didn't hear the cancel. I was out and about so I wasn't listening every minute. When they first called for LifeFlight they said the "subject" was wearing body armor and I was afriad it had been a Police Officer that was shot.

Sorry about your relative Romokid, my prayers go out to your family. It's sad when anyone dies in an incident like this. Sounds like this was a cry for help that got out of control.

WOW, just found out it was my mom's cousin. Not good. He also was shot by Westminster Police and died.

Sorry to hear about this.

I am sure that everyone is curious but you may want to be very discreet about releasing information. There was another thread here recently about a similar police shooting in Bristol (?) CT that became rather heated. A relative of the deceased kept saying that the deceased was a good guy and took exception to some comments about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom